Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New York Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum87/)
-   -   Looking for car trailer rental in Westchester (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/831103-looking-for-car-trailer-rental-in-westchester.html)

SAlexander 03-13-2009 08:28 PM

Looking for car trailer rental in Westchester

I find that I need a car trailer about 2 or three times a year. Not enough to justify buying one. Uhaul sucks, they are nearly impossible to deal with. I found a local rental yard in Northern Westchester, but his trailer is poorly maintained and only marginally safe. Does anybody here have or know of a trailer that can safely transport a car or light ruck at highway speeds, that has working brakes, and lights, and is registered and inspected? I am an adult. I have been towing all kinds of trailers for more than 20 years. I will be towing with my '00 F250 4x4 V10 supercab . The truck is mechanically sound and fully insured. It is equipped with all the Ford factory towing stuff. I have multiple ball mounts and will buy my own electric brake controller if the trailer requires it. My boat trailer, and the ones I have rented have surge brakes. I would consider a partner ownership arrangement.
Thanks

GLR 03-13-2009 08:37 PM

Hey Steve Nice looking 70 in your gallery. For the amount of time you need a trailer you might be better off trying to work with Uhaul. We brought a 70 back from Ohio on one. 1st dealer said it wouldn't fit, went to another dealer told them we were going to haul a 81 crown vic so we rented from that place. You might just have to check around. Good luck, George

SAlexander 03-13-2009 08:45 PM

I have gone with Uhaul in the past. I find that they never have a unit anywhere near me when I actually want it. They can never tell you where to go get it until the last minute. The guy I found is easy to deal with, but his trailer is junk. I wish I had a couple grand that I didn't need, I'd buy my own. With the occasional parts trucks for my 70, and now that my son is working on his car (not Ford), I need a good reliable source. I wonder how many others here are in the same boat? Maybe a trailer co op?

GLR 03-14-2009 08:12 AM

Steve, for what it's worth, I found out sharing doesn't work too well. A friend and I were going 50-50 on a trailer. I bought it, he was going to pay me back. Licensed it in my name, left it in NY the 1st winter-broken lights,bent tongue jack. I've been taking it with me to Virginia ever since...Once you have one, you would be surprised how much you use it. (brought up 2 truck beds last trip). Licensing is another thing, NY was getting $60.50 each year. I got a VA perm. plate for $62.00 no brainer there. Still have to get it inspected. Some guys around here go to Maine for a perm plate. I was going to say check craigs list for trailers but, I see you already have a "wanted" ad in. Tow dolly a possibility?? NY hasn't got around licensing them yet...yet. George

torqueNY 03-17-2009 09:17 PM

FNG from Westchester

Hi I read your post yesterday (mon.)
While searching Craiglist today I actually came across a guy who wants to rent a trailer.
To search for add look in NY metro area, For Sale Auto parts type in F250 and look up in the adds dated 3/15.
I took down his phone # if the search does not work for you. (631)327-8067 Coram NY ? LI maybe?
Good Luck,
Brian
Dobbs Ferry NY

SAlexander 03-17-2009 09:24 PM

Didn't find an add with that search.

torqueNY 03-17-2009 09:27 PM

shoot me your E- mail and I'll foward it to you

I'll send it to you
B

ranger1999 Bob 03-18-2009 07:03 PM

have you tried ryder? or hertz for rentals they are usually alot better

spence13e 03-18-2009 07:39 PM

seriously, after we got ours i found that i use it quite a lot. even if it's a cheapo, go for it because you'll use it more than you think. and having a trailer 50/50 with somebody is not such a good idea. tried that as well with the stock trailer.