Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Throttle Position sensor location? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/830345-throttle-position-sensor-location.html)

jdecker88 03-11-2009 01:44 PM

Throttle Position sensor location?

Scott(crum71) is having his truck painted and they went to move the truck today and the truck would start but it wouldn't do anything when you push the pedal. Where is the location of the TPS assuming that is the issue?

He hasn't had any issues up til now and he had body work done on the truck IE the bed was removed and fixed and the entire truck was painted. Could the shop have damaged something when they removed the bed?

ggirten 03-11-2009 01:46 PM

I believe it is on the pedal itself. Follow it up.

jeff7825 03-11-2009 01:47 PM

The TPS is on the throttle pedal. I don't think taking the bed off would affect it in any way.

jdecker88 03-11-2009 01:52 PM

I wouldn't either only thing back there is the VSS.

Thanks that where he thought it was.

miller_feed 03-11-2009 01:57 PM

Maybe check the fuses?

megawatt00 03-11-2009 02:03 PM

JD this link shows the location and a pic of what the TPS looks like
http://www.dormanproducts.com/docume...s_Sensors2.pdf

crum71 03-11-2009 02:24 PM

Thanks for posting this for me Justin, Its just my luck, they have had it now for 24 days (ugh) they was putting other vehicles in front of mine,but anyways,they went to back it out of the paint booth today,and it wouldn't do anything. I first thought it was the TPS, but wasnt sure. Does it only have the one on the pedal? A guy out there was telling me that he thought it had another one near the injector pump. Anyone have a clue? I have another one off of that 05' model, I hope it will work,going to run it back out there and see.

jdecker88 03-11-2009 02:26 PM

Dude don't listen to him if he said injector pump now LOL.

crum71 03-11-2009 02:39 PM

He just said he thought it had 2 TPS units on it. I thought I had the other pedal here at moms,but I remembered its in the building at the house. I will sneak off in the morning and run it out there. I should make them pay to have it fixed for taking this long to paint it. Its not like I had flames or something like that painted on it also...grrr

Kwikkordead 03-11-2009 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jdecker88 (Post 7249105)
Dude don't listen to him if he said injector pump now LOL.

Good bodymen are NOT good mechanics, I have learned and visa versa.
It is the rare tech that can do both, and do them well.
I wouldn't worry about them not knowing what is going on.

tdpower 03-11-2009 11:20 PM

Did you check the IVS which is built into the TPS. With the key on press the pedal slowly and should hear a slight click and same when you let back off. I have heard you can clean it out but don't have personal experience with it.

triskit16 03-11-2009 11:47 PM

IVS went south in mine, at least I think it was the IVS! I ordered a new pedal assembly because I didnt know what was wrong. It would just go idle in the middle of an intersection. Its very easily bent back into place if it is bent now. Ordered a new pedal when a simple bend wouldve done it!

VQ2Fast4U 03-12-2009 07:21 AM

My truck was acting up with the TPS once, i would be driving and out of no where rpm woould drop to idle with no responce from the throttle. I pulled the TPS and cleaned it with some electrical cleaner and its been fine for about a year now.

F250_ 03-12-2009 09:08 AM

Here is more info on this issue... I went through all these gyrations several months back, and I've already shared some of this with Scott on the side.

There are two versions of the TPS and pedal assembly, but there is only ONE TPS and it is on the pedal assembly in the cab.

One version has the TPS built integrally into the pedal assembly, and the only way to replace the TPS on that unit is by replacing the entire pedal assembly... something like $75 at either Y2K or FTE Parts Guy, which matches the aftermarket unit pricing from elsewhere and stays with OEM stuff.

With the second style (which mine was SUPPOSED to be since it's a 2002 model, but it actually got a 2001 integral version probably out of convenience for the builders), the TPS is bolted onto the pedal assembly and can be replaced as a simple electronics component... price is somewhere around $35-$40 for the OEM sensor from either of those two guys mentioned above, which, again, is competitive with aftermarket units I've seen.

You CAN clean them out to some degree by spraying electrical contact cleaner inside and letting it dry. This has resolved TPS problems for some people, but not all, and is a cheap first step unless your failure has you dead in the water and you have to get it abck on the road immediately.

As best I can tell from my own efforts and inspections, you CANNOT take the TPS apart without causing significant damage to the unit's housing. You also CANNOT remove the TPS from the integrally built version without some real damamge to either or both portions (sensor and pedal assembly).

R&R is nto bad, but requires some contortion in the floor under the dash on the driver's side. Three bolts, can't remember the size. An air ratchet really helps make the back strain easier (for me, at least).

That said, I still have the 2002 version of the separate TPS that is brand new and has never been installed. Can make a deal for someone in need.

I also still have the original pedal assembly, which I now believe was NOT the problem after all. I think I had some yuck in my tank and when I would accelerate at the just the right (or wrong) conditions - uphill only and at the same rate every time - it would slosh under the pickup foot in the tank and cause an acceleration stumble that mimicked a TPS problem. I need to re-install the original to verify this, and once I do, I just may have a pedal assembly for sale as well.

packfan17 12-31-2009 06:31 PM

Pedal position sensor

Ok, after reading all these posts and checking my code(P0122), I went out and unbolted the assembly. The only problem I have is, how in the world do you pull the plug off of the assembly to clean the contacts? By the way, the truck is a 2002 F-350 4x4 PSD Lariat with 130,000 miles and this is the first time the darn engine light came on.And thanks, this site has been great.