Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Broken nipple! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/829673-broken-nipple.html)

KRDiesel 03-09-2009 01:47 PM

Broken nipple!

So I was working on the truck this weekend and broke the degas nipple off the radiator. Anyone have ideas on repairing this??<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

texans 03-01-2010 09:00 PM

I just did the same thing what was your solution.

cheezit 03-01-2010 09:12 PM

remove radiator and take it a radiator repair shop it should run 25-50 to get a brass nipple installed.
they remove the tank from the core to repair it.

texans 03-01-2010 09:16 PM

Ok thanks chezit. I knew you would have an answer for me. I was just reading about tapping the hole for a 1/8 barbed fitting myself. What do you think of this. Or should I just take it to a radiator shop.

cheezit 03-01-2010 09:26 PM

they do the same thing but they should put a nut on the backside of it to hold it in place. well at least the shop that we have do ours when one of the guy gets in a hurry.

DPorter 03-01-2010 09:26 PM

rad shop = guarantee no leak

cheezit 03-01-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by DPorter (Post 8583693)
rad shop = guarantee no leak

no not really just a better chance:eek:

DSMMH 03-02-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by texans (Post 8583639)
Ok thanks chezit. I knew you would have an answer for me. I was just reading about tapping the hole for a 1/8 barbed fitting myself. What do you think of this. Or should I just take it to a radiator shop.

Plastic threads are tricky. When using the tap besure to cut threads in 1/2 turns then back out and clean threads before starting again. Plastic cuts strips. Metal cuts chips. If you take your time with the threading process, you should be fine. The trick is to get long enough threads into the plastic to support physical pressure on the brass barb fitting.

I would suggest, if you do it yourself, that you do the threads, screw the brass fitting to get a good fit check and then take some JB weld made for plastic applications, coat the brass fitting threads and screw it in. The JB weld will give you a more secure fitting.

DSMMH

desertt5 03-02-2010 03:31 PM

I was thinking palsti-weld. That stuff held a mirror on for years. Melsts the plastic together. maybe not though.

06silvercrew 03-02-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by texans (Post 8583639)

I have done this literally 50+ times on a nipple on the top of the radiator of Cadillac Cts' that was bad to break and new radiator was over $1300....But the tank had plenty of "meat" to tap it, and screw in a nipple with some sealer on it (RTV is what I used) Never had one come back.

I say if the tank had enough "meat" to get some good threads, go for it.

DSMMH 03-02-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 06silvercrew (Post 8587196)
I have done this literally 50+ times on a nipple on the top of the radiator of Cadillac Cts' that was bad to break and new radiator was over $1300....But the tank had plenty of "meat" to tap it, and screw in a nipple with some sealer on it (RTV is what I used) Never had one come back.

I say if the tank had enough "meat" to get some good threads, go for it.

I agree! The reason I suggested JB weld is that it is a hard epoxy where RTV is a soft sealer. FWIW

DSMMH

06silvercrew 03-02-2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by DSMMH (Post 8588061)
I agree! The reason I suggested JB weld is that it is a hard epoxy where RTV is a soft sealer. FWIW

DSMMH

Yeah IMO either would be fine.

KRDiesel 03-03-2010 08:31 AM

Wow, old post. I used a brass nipple and black RTV. It has held for a year now.

texans 03-03-2010 11:22 AM

Yeah that is what I ended up doing. I did like the idea of using the jb wield though, but I already had the rtv handy so that's what I went with.

doityourself2009 03-14-2010 11:45 AM

radiator removal

6.0L powerstroke

Broke nipple off radiator trying to remove the hose......Has anyone removed the radiator to take it in for repair? Are there any special tools? How hard is it to remove and reinstall? Thanks