Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   "Door Ajar" light stays on..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/826836-door-ajar-light-stays-on.html)

nagasaurus 03-01-2009 10:54 AM

"Door Ajar" light stays on.....

I have a 2003 F-150.....and I just started having a minor, but annoying, problem. Sometimes when I am driving, my door ajar light stays on, which then causes my interior dome lights to stay lit when I turn off my engine and leave my car. I came back a couple of hours later to a truck with a dead battery. Instead of dealing with the primary problem itself, my husband just decided to pull out the fuse that controls my interior lights.....well, that must've also been the fuse that controlled my power windows because now they don't work! Has anyone had this problem with their 'door ajar' light staying on when driving? And if so, how might I go about fixing the problem? Thanks.......

dadlovesfords 03-01-2009 11:01 AM

You need to clean the door mechanism with electric contact cleaner and then relube with graphite , silicone , or what you prefer. That will solve it more than likely. :)

galaxie641 03-01-2009 12:36 PM

Take some WD40 and spray the latch on the door in every direction, then slam the door 5 or 6 times and spray it again. That will most likely clean it up. If your battery went dead from the dome light staying on, it goes off after 45minutes, then the battery is probably going bad as well. Also yes that fuse also controls the windows.

Spotty 03-01-2009 08:28 PM

I see so many Ford trucks driving around with the back cargo light on I want to make up cards to put on windshields to tell people how to fix. As the guys said, it's one or both of the switch's in the door latch. Spray some WD 40 or (something in that catagory) into the latch, and open and shut the door 20 times. Let us know if that does the trick.

Jeff

Kymber 03-02-2009 12:08 PM

I just close my doors and the light goes out. You guys and your tricks.

gabe2003f150 03-03-2009 10:06 PM

I have a 2003 F-150, and i had been driving for about 3 months with the Door Ajar light on, i thought it was the door switch, the fuses, or a short on it. Then i read that if you spry WD-40 on the latch it would fix it, and it did. I was even thinking of taking it to the dealer to get it fix.

KingRanchMan02 03-04-2009 10:37 AM

Welcome to FTE gabe2003f150! :-X25 Glad you were able to get yours fixed with tips that you found here of FTE! :-wink

Trublufords 03-04-2009 09:26 PM

Temp. fix, spray Brake clean on latch(on door)close door several times and then spray wd-40, pb blaster,etc. Most of the time this will take care of the ajar light---FOR AWHILE. IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!Pull door panel and unbolt latch and replace with a new door ajar switch, the plunger pin in the old one will be partialy pushed in , compared to new one.The temp fix helps narrow which door is cutting the door ajar light on----switches are cheap, around $10 bucks at dealer.Worked at Ford dealer for 32 years- started using this type of dome light- ajar switch in Rangers around 93, made a lot of peaple happy by spraying latch BUT ajar light came back on most times in cold weather. LOL Blue

97'f150Brandon 09-06-2009 11:46 PM

1997 f150 "Door Ajar Light"

I own a 1997 f150 2 door with an extended cab.. My problem is that my "door ajar light" says "on", on my dash, dome lightand cab light, and will not go off, I have tried spraying it with WD-40, did not work. I have replashed the switches with brand new ones, that go on both driver and passenger door. Switches(not sure wat they are called but 2 on each door).. is there anything else I can try before i take it to a shop??? Please let me kno asap, need this problem fixed.. Brandon.. e-mail me at lilicecreamboy1@hotmail.com

dionisi58 03-04-2010 07:59 PM

have almost the same problem, but my dome light randomly comes on an drains the battery, and when im driving sometimes the chime rings like the doors open, also not sure if this is relevent but it happend when i noticed the door problem, but my radio doesnt get reception anymore. should i try the wd-40 trick?

mustang Dave 05-11-2010 04:30 PM

door ajar and doom lights stay on , 2000 Ford explorer

easy fix, if WD40 doesn't cure your problem, this should.REPLACE the sensor in the door mecanism.What the WD40 does is loosen the gunk and dirt build up in the door latch to where the sensors stem lies, First remove the door panel, second on my 2000 explorer there are 2 wires one is the ground and the other connects to the sensor disconnect both, third remove the screw that the ground connected to , Forth turn the sensor counter clockwise quarter turn is all it takes and remove there will be a stud in the sensor sometimes they get stuck it should push in and come back out if it doesn't, so just replace, if it is stuck in the sensor than thats your problem, reverse step 4 back to 1 , it solved my problem .

Kurtobe 06-14-2010 05:00 PM

97 explorer does it too

Just resolved the problem with my 97 explorer: Door ajar sensor activated under most conditions ie. uphill, downhill, bank right, bank left, park on incline. Car alarm went off through out the night, my other alerts worked intermittently ..ie key left in ignition, or headlights left on. I Pulled my drivers side door panel off, the sensor was broken, and the part attached to the yellow wire was touching metal. I replaced it now everything works.
The sensor is located upper left corner of the latch, and is held in place with a single screw, and detaches (snap socket) from the yellow wire.

dionisi58 07-13-2010 09:42 PM

fixed my problem awhile ago actually, my trucks a 92 so idk how different they are, but all i did was the little switch your door closes on too, took it out, cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol an q-tips, but it back on an havent had a problem since

Ford7269 08-17-2010 04:46 PM

On my '03 Exploder it actually was the door switch was broken from slamming the door on my seat belt when it didn't retract so many times.

ARFordGuy 09-07-2010 04:56 PM

Door Ajar light

I have a 2002 F-150 XL Super cab. Today for the first time the "Door Ajar" light stayed on after all doors were shut. I tried the WD-40 trick as my first attempt since it is raining. I soaked down the latching mechanism, opened and closed the door 5x, soaked it again, and opened and closed it 5x more. Sure enough, it went back to working as normal. If it does end up repeating the same problem again and again, I will take the advice posted of getting new sensors for the door. Thanks guys, AGAIN, for saving me some costly unnecessary repairs.

ARFordGuy
2002 F-150 XL SuperCab