Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nebraska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum176/)
-   -   In need of Mechanical assistance in Omaha (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/825117-in-need-of-mechanical-assistance-in-omaha.html)

Links_vette 02-24-2009 10:23 AM

In need of Mechanical assistance in Omaha

Hi guys. I'm not a member of the Nebraska Chapter but am intending on joining you at the up coming meeting to see what it is all about.

In the mean time I'm in need of some help. I'm looking for someone who could come over to my garage to help me figure out why I'm not getting spark on my recently purchased '49 F1 w/ a 226. I've rewired most of the electicals to 12v, replaced most if not all of the distributor components/ cables/ wires and have no clue what to do next. I consider myself a shade tree parts hanger and this has gone outside my ability and understanding.

I've got a little bit of cash available, a heated garage, and a fridge that can easily be populated with additional bud light or beverage of your choice.

List of replaced parts:
Ign. coil
condesor
rotor
coil to dist (+) wire
Internal dist wires (+ and ground)
coil to cap center plug wire
all 6 plug wires (replaced with 8mm high conductivity wire)
6v battery to 12v battery

Tests passed:
points closed have circuit between block and + input on side of dist (output of coil)
points open no circuit (not grounded out/shorted)
with key on 12.5v coming into ign. coil and distributor
point gap verified at .025
conductance tests on on new plug wires

Test Failed:
in line spark indicator (light bulb thing) place between plug and plug wire
dist cap off, turning over -> no spark seen between points

67nukeford 02-24-2009 10:29 AM

Let me see if I can get a few of the experts on, and see what we can do!

RedUgly77 02-24-2009 11:09 AM

speedway sells a 12 volt conversion book.

The Official 12 Volt Conversion Guide
$11.99

They also have a electrical handbook for $14.99
AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL HANDBOOK

RedUgly77 02-24-2009 11:12 AM

Found the same book at Fifth Avenue Internet Garage for $10
Fifth Avenue Internet Garage

husker 02-24-2009 11:22 AM

Links_vette, have you tried posting your questions on the 48-60 forum here at FTE. Those guys and gals are real good about helping trouble shoot just the type of problem you are dealing with. If I was in Omaha I'd try to give you a hand, but I'm 3 hrs away.

Have you verified that the new coil is OK? It is probably something simple, but I don't have the knowledge to really help except to trace things like you have done.

Links_vette 02-24-2009 11:44 AM

I bought the coil from LMC along with all of the other parts... it would be simple and cheap to pick up a new one from NAPA on my way home and test that idea.

As for posting to the year specific area, yes I have, and have completed all additional replacements and tests they've suggested. I seem to have exhausted their suggestions, which is why I'm looking for hands on assistance. Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes to see the issue.

husker 02-24-2009 01:45 PM

I know that one too. Sometimes if you walk away from it for a day or two and then come back the glitch will just pop out and you'll see what you missed.

fordboy_52 02-24-2009 07:18 PM

I live in omaha and I am cheap. as in free. you going to be around tomrrow night?

fordboy_52 02-24-2009 07:23 PM

sounds like a possible bad pick up coil inside the distributer. I don't think its grounding correctly. they are somewhat tough to replace tho. I can do it if u pick one up

Links_vette 02-24-2009 07:38 PM

that's greatly appreciated, i'll send you a PM with my info

fordboy_52 02-24-2009 08:33 PM

sounds good, i replied.

ill try to do a little research on it

fordboy_52 02-24-2009 08:41 PM

i dont see anything about a pickup coil in a 226 ford. Is there another name for the little round deal that is inside the distributor that sends the signal to ground?

ive never worked on anything this old

fordboy_52 02-24-2009 08:42 PM

im going to pm numberdummy, bill will know

Links_vette 02-24-2009 08:48 PM

the negative/ground wire is attached directly to the "cup" or dist body. After reviewing Julies 12V conversion diagram's i'm wondering if i have a basic wiring issue.

fordboy_52 02-24-2009 08:53 PM

ok, there should be a little deal that turns with the shaft inside and looks like a 6 point start deal that sends the voltage to ground creating a HUGE negative electric spark, creating the spark :)

here is a picture..... you might pick up the armature at the store as well. the parts shouldnt be very high prices

http://www.familycar.com/CLASSROOM/I...PickupCoil.gif