Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Dealer installed AC (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/824554-dealer-installed-ac.html)

FordEdselFanatic 02-22-2009 07:27 PM

Dealer installed AC

My truck, '77 F250, has the dealer installed AC system. (control knobs in the center vent). The unit does not work. Who makes this unit, and are parts still available for it?

Bgasrickshaw 02-22-2009 07:49 PM

I think they were all Ford genuine parts. No idea where to get them anymore, unless Ford still has them (I doubt it), Numberdummy will know for sure

lostinfords 02-22-2009 08:35 PM

What doesn't work?? the fan, the switch??? what component?
I have the same set up in my 79 super cab and the speed control switch is fifnicky, sometimes it doesn't supply pwr. to the blower fan, have to give it a nudge and it works, I have ben meaninhg to repair it for some time now...we all know how that goes. I get some parts from a guy in Jersey...dash auto air, he is real helpful, but I do believe they are manufactured aftermarket also, nostalgic or vintage air??

FordEdselFanatic 02-23-2009 06:47 AM

Right now, I know that the fan isn't working. The system isn't charged, so I'm not sure it will even hold freon. It hasn't worked since I've had the truck. (a few months) Before I dig into it, I wanted to find out if replacement parts are available. If parts aren't available, I need to look at one of the systems from Classic Air, or other vendors. I have most of the parts from a factory air truck, but I really hate that big box hanging in the engine compartment, and I don't really want to carve up my firewall to install it.
So, I'm exploring my options to get air working before summer gets here.

NumberDummy 02-23-2009 12:59 PM

1973/79 F100/350 Dealer Installed A/C Blower & T/Stat Switches

Originally Posted by FordEdselFanatic (Post 7175910)
My truck, '77 F250, has the dealer installed AC system. (control knobs in the center vent).
The unit does not work. Who makes this unit, and are parts still available for it?

1973/79: There are TWO different Ford dealer installed A/C's.

Dealer Installed Economy A/C: Two control knobs in the center panel with two registers above.

The original glove box is intact.
------------------------------
Dealer Installed Deluxe A/C: The A/C plastic bezel sweeps across the dash, from the ash tray to the end, covering up the original glove box.

A hang-on (under the dash) glove box was furnished with the A/C installation kit.

The two knobs that operate the switches are on the left side of this bezel, which may be wood grained.

There is a Ford blue oval emblem on this bezel at the center right.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The two switches however, are the same for both A/C units.

D1RY19986A .. A/C Blower Switch-Use with Dealer Installed A/C (Motorcraft YH210) / Obsolete

KINSEL L/M in Beaumont TX has EIGHT: 800-816-2894.

WESLEY OBSOLETE PARTS in Liberty KY has FOUR: 606-787-5293.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has FOUR: 800-543-4959.

BOB ALLEN FORD in Overland Park KS has FIVE: 800-676-0675.

DENNIS CARPENTER OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has 13: 704-786-8139.

There are at least 100 more scattered around the US at other dealers, obsolete parts vendors.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E1FZ19618A .. A/C Evaporator Temperature Control Thermostat Switch-Use with Dealer Installed A/C (Motorcraft YH239) / Obsolete

GREEN SALES CO. has EIGHT.

LARRY ALLEN MOTOR CO. in Parsons KS has ONE: 620-421-0100.

TEAM FORD L/M in Silver City NM has ONE.

BYFORD L/M in Lawton OK has ONE.

HERMAN MOTOR CO. in Luverne MN has ONE.

LANDMARK MOTOR CO. in Tigard OR has ONE.

Sorry, no phone #'s listed for these last 4 Ford dealers.

FordEdselFanatic 02-23-2009 06:34 PM

Looks like I have the "Economy" unit. Is the blower motor available for this unit?

76f350spercamprspeal 02-23-2009 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1975 F-350 "Deluxe Dealer installed A/C"
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...als/57e4_3.jpg
1977 F-250 "Dealer Installed Economy A/C"
Attachment 221665
Sorry It took so long,I had took through a-lot of pictures (6,524-Pictures...)
On that note,here is a link to prove of that statement...
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/untitled.jpg
Please Ignore everything I say,I am just a dumb zit-faced punk who loves old fords...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:-X25 Sorry If some of this is:-offtopic
I hope you get answers and I hope you have a great day!
*Sincerely*
-76-SCS-
-Anthony-

NumberDummy 02-24-2009 05:14 AM

:-X09 (sigh)

These two pictures you posted are two different versions of the dealer installed ECONOMY A/C.

The glove box door is visible in both those pictures.

Didn't you read what I typed about the DELUXE A/C bezel? Obviously not.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The dealer installed DELUXE A/C's bezel is huge, sweeps across the entire dash from the instrument cluster bezel to the far right side covering up the original glove box.

A hang on glove box that came with the Deluxe A/C kit, is mounted below the dash to replace the original glove box...now hidden behind the DELUXE A/C bezel.

DELUXE Dealer Installed A/C bezel and related parts pictured here:

1973/79 FORD LIGHT TRUCK PARTS CATALOG / ILLUSTRATION SECTION 195 / PAGE 7.

NumberDummy 02-24-2009 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by FordEdselFanatic (Post 7180214)
Looks like I have the "Economy" unit. Is the blower motor available for this unit?

D4TZ19805A .. A/C Blower Motor (Motorcraft MM332) / Obsolete

Use with dealer installed Economy A/C (no hang-on glove box).

LARRY ALLEN MOTOR CO. in Parsons KS has ONE: 620-421-0100.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has ONE: 800-543-4959.

Green's prices are sky high, compare what they want against what the Ford dealer (Larry Allen) wants for theirs.

Dealers have only one year to return obsolete parts to Ford after the parts initially go obsolete.

If they do not return the parts in the time alloted, they are STUCK with them.

FordEdselFanatic 02-24-2009 06:43 AM

Thanks for the Info guys!

Mine is like the top picture (red dash).

If my evaporator core is solid, looks like I can get the electrical components to make the unit work again. And I can do it for considerably less than one of the available kits.

That's what I needed to know.

You guys are pretty handy to have around.
How did we ever get anything done before the internet, and forums like this one? :-X25

IZZYAZ 02-24-2009 08:09 AM

:-hijacked
How many different versions of the dealer installed A/C systems did they have? I have one in my truck ('74 F100) that I will be removing and it looks totally different then the ones that Anthony posted. It's still an economy type one. Just a little fact finding trip.

NumberDummy 02-24-2009 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by IZZYAZ (Post 7182410)
:-hijacked
How many different versions of the dealer installed A/C systems did they have? I have one in my truck ('74 F100) that I will be removing and it looks totally different then the ones that Anthony posted. It's still an economy type one. Just a little fact finding trip.

From the pics posted there were at least two, but...

There were aftermarket types from Sears, Mark IV, Frigid-King and etc. that looked similar.

These aftermarket A/C units were not installed by Ford dealers, but by the trucks owners after the sale.

Ford dealers would not install non genuine parts, because if something failed, there was no warranty to cover repairs.

FoMoCo only warranted parts (and the labor to R&R them) that were their own.

So if dealers installed non genuine parts, and the parts failed, they wouldn't be re-imbursed by FoMoCo, and would have to "eat' the repair costs.

Bottom line: The add on A/C you have may not be genuine Ford.

fordtrucknut 05-29-2009 11:10 PM

ND and Deluxe A/C

I have the DELUXE Unit that covers up the Glove Box Like ND says...If I can get to the Truck I will try to take a pic and post it so everyone can see what it looks like....It's weird seeing the Glove Box all covered up like that...ND...Any idea if that one works really good or is the Factory Installed A/C a ton better??? I want to put A/C in a 78 Crew I am working on getting...that is a NON A/C Truck...Trying to decide if I want to cut the dash and install the Factory setup or just use the DELUXE Dealer Installed Unit.

76f350spercamprspeal 05-29-2009 11:13 PM

That would be great!

fmc400 05-30-2009 12:21 AM

I'd really like to see pictures of the Deluxe unit too; never seen one myself and I'm curious how the dash looks with the glove box covered up.