Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Upgrading my 07 expedtion audio system, need some help please. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/823381-upgrading-my-07-expedtion-audio-system-need-some-help-please.html)

CarbonClear 02-19-2009 07:36 AM

Upgrading my 07 expedtion audio system, need some help please.

I was wondering if I could get some help from the great people on these boards. :-X25
I'm upgrading my speakers, amplifier and factory sub on a 2007 Expedition. My goal is keeping as close to factory look as possible and still retain full usage of the cargo area, since I do use the cargo area for work.

I decided on Orion speakers for the front doors and rear doors which allows straight bolt in installation. The sub is an JL Audio Stealthbox which will go in the same factory location. I have the factory navigation and a Alpine aftermarket overhead monitor. Both that I've been very happy with.
Here lays the problem, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to place two amplifiers. They are both Orion amps, the first is a HP4800 a 4 channel amp
ORION - HP4800

The second amp will drive the sub a Orion HCCA 1200
ORION - HCCA-D1200

I checked on the right rear quarter panel on the truck, but there is a rear heating unit that takes up the whole space. The left side leaves little room after the new sub is placed.

Has anyone gone down this path and what solutions have you come up with? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

berry1234 02-19-2009 10:39 AM

Maybe ditch the jack and put one in there? One amp is hard enough to hide in our Expys, two might be a nightmare. Have you considered a 5 channel amp? Digital maybe.

jdsmooth 02-21-2009 01:12 PM

I ended up putting my amp where the factory sub was and using a truck box for the sub in the rear hatch area. Options for amp placement that I saw were either the factor sub location or the back of the 2nd row seats. I didn't see any other spot big enough for a decent sized amp. Sorry - I know that is not what you want to hear.

CarbonClear 02-22-2009 02:28 PM

Well, I ditched the ideal of having two seperate amps and went on the suggestion of a 5 channel amp. I ordered an Alpine PDX-5 after auditioning it in a Chevy tahoe. I was really impressed with these new digital amps. I would definately recommend one to anyone who was looking.

On the location of the amp, I would rather not place it under the 2nd row seating area, if I can avoid it. I think with the Alpine's small foot print, I should be able to tuck into the side panel. Also I did manage to listen to an Expedtion with JL Audio's stealthbox and wasn't entirely impressed for the money spent versus the sound quality you were getting. I'm going to return the one I purchased and use a custom box. Now I only need to figure out how to configure a dimension for my JL Audio 10w6 sub.

Btw thanks so far for the responses.

eddiemoney 08-11-2009 06:18 PM

Did you find a good place for the amp?

CarbonClear 08-12-2009 04:03 PM

Actually I did.

In my quest in improving the sound quality in my truck. I removed all the factory gear including the factory sub and I kept the factory navigation radio, because I wanted to keep the factory look. The unit has performed really well with my after market gear with no engine noise
Your going to have two choices of mounting the amp in our trucks either on the floor board under the seats or where the factory subwoofer was originally installed. I chose the the location of the sub because it allowed plenty of airflow and I can access the amp if needed through the factory sub grill. The other option was to place it under one of the seats, but with adults and kids kicking it, I felt it wouldn't be a key location.
One amp you may want to consider is Alpine's 5 channel digital amp. At first I was worried of getting one, since I was using Zapco competition electronics in my other cars, but the alpine really gets the job done. Also with the 5 channel setup, it allowed me to install a sub base remote to control the amount of bass I was getting. Since I listen to variety of different music, I wanted to make sure I could control this.
I also applied Dynamat to all the doors including the rear door and that has made a noticible difference. The truck has made a radical difference on road noise not coming inside the truck. As for a sub I ended up making a custom sealed enclosure for a 10" sub. I wanted something rather small and deliver a nice bass note. It fits perfectly behind the 3rd row seat and is not obtrusive. Hope that helps you out and sorry for the long post:-drink

eddiemoney 08-12-2009 06:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Interesting choice and thanks for the info. I kind of like the idea of the hidden sub and an amp in a good out of the way place. I was even thinking perhaps the side panel, just down from the sub. Just bolt it straight to the plastic with a metal backer.

CarbonClear 08-13-2009 10:25 AM

Actually if your worried about the sub box moving Velcro is another way to attach the box to the truck without tearing up the plastic panels in the truck.

eddiemoney 08-13-2009 10:56 AM

Not moving so to speak, more just always in the way. I carry a lot of "stuff"

berry1234 08-13-2009 11:42 AM

Why not this?
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1579

eddiemoney 08-13-2009 04:47 PM

Oh I like that, just not an integrated amp. . .then you have to find a place for the amp,. . . .which there isn't much choice.

gddyup 08-13-2009 10:57 PM

Carbon... any pics of your install? I have an 07 EL with the powered 3rd row. I have a RockFos 5 channel with an Elemental Designs 10" sub that I have been toying with the idea of putting in the truck. It was to go in my 03 F150 Crew but I traded it for the Expy before I got the box and equipment installed in it. The ED 10 I have is designed to run in a space as small as .8 cu ft sealed so the stock area would be just about perfect. :)

I'd really like to see pics on what you came up with if you had the time. Sounds like a nice setup!

eddiemoney 08-14-2009 07:52 AM

Ooooo eD is just down the road from love, love that stuff.

berry1234 08-14-2009 10:29 AM

I can 100% also recommend ED subs. If you go this route there are member on the message boards there that will help you with plans for a box that will fit back in your expy. I did this for my 2000 expy. It was the 11Kv.2(paid $85 on sale) and I had a 5 channel Hifonics amp under the second row. The sub got 200 watts and it was the best sounding bass I have owned. If I were adding subs, I wouldn't consider anything else.

eddiemoney 08-14-2009 11:21 AM

I wonder if there is any room in the front console for a sub like the suburban's have. . ..then I could have two. . .muhahaha