Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   How to stop dinger with key in the ignition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/823156-how-to-stop-dinger-with-key-in-the-ignition.html)

rjfetz1 02-18-2009 02:13 PM

How to stop dinger with key in the ignition

Does anyone know how to disable the dinger when the truck is off and the key is in the ignition? I have an 08 F350. Years ago I found a thread where you pop out the ignition and put a piece of tape in there over a tab? Anyway its annoying and pita to remove the key all the time.. thanks for the input.

2000silverbullet 02-18-2009 03:32 PM

Check here

shorebird 02-18-2009 05:38 PM

From the thread; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...elt-chime.html

Originally Posted by shorebird (Post 6661640)
There is the hard ways and there is an easy way to disable the door chime. I think that my way is the easy way.
1. Remove the lock cylinder from column.
2. Take a piece of electrical tape and cut it to fit the contact patch on the cylinder.
3. Place it on the cylinder.
4. Reinsert the cylinder into column. Open door and listen to the sound of silence or your stereo.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=200347&.jpg

To remove the key ;
Turn key to on position
Insert 1/8" round probe into underside of column and press upward to disengage retaining pin.
Pin is seen in photo at lower left of cylinder.
Pull cylinder out of column.
Simply slip cylinder back into column to reinstall.

rjfetz1 02-18-2009 06:15 PM

Thanks for the links - I see what has to be done to the ignition - I am having a hard time removing the lower panel after I removed the 3 screws and tilt wheel lever. Something else seems to be holding it on. Tomorrow I will use a little more force. Unless someone knows whats holding it on. It is a 2008

cfd29 03-25-2009 01:52 PM

Did you ever figure out how to find that wire they are talking about ?? sure would like to silence my key in dinger, 08 F-250

System 03-25-2009 09:25 PM

No need to do any of that. Go under the dash. With a flashlight find the blue and gray wire that goes to the ignition in the wire bundle. There is only one that is blue and gray wire that terminates at the ignition. Cut and tape the wire. Done. No more dinger. No side effects.

sawtooth 05-15-2009 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 7307593)
No need to do any of that. Go under the dash. With a flashlight find the blue and gray wire that goes to the ignition in the wire bundle. There is only one that is blue and gray wire that terminates at the ignition. Cut and tape the wire. Done. No more dinger. No side effects.

Anyone else try this and if so did it work?

System 05-15-2009 09:34 PM

I've talked a lot of guys through this. It always works...

sawtooth 05-16-2009 05:09 PM

ok sounds good. By the way, does it silence anything else? The only thing i want to change is the door dinger and nothing else.

senix 05-16-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by sawtooth (Post 7508874)
ok sounds good. By the way, does it silence anything else? The only thing i want to change is the door dinger and nothing else.

Let me know if this works I am ready to use a hammer on that dinger.

System 05-16-2009 06:12 PM

Does not affect anything else. Just the dinger when the key is in the ignition. Just strip a little of the insulation on the wire. Put your test light there. Insert the key. As soon as the key starts to slide into the ignition the test light should go on. Then you know you have the right wire. Cut it and your done. Like I said before, it is the only blue and gray wire going to the connections on the inside of the ignition. You can't miss it.

12ozd 05-16-2009 07:12 PM

I taped mine as above.Took a whole 2 min.
Will take another 1 to put back stock.:-drink

sawtooth 05-17-2009 09:16 AM

Well i didn't have a test light so cut the blue gray wire going to the ignition and guess what. It was the wrong wire. Guess the jack butt that did my wiring decided to do something different. I then tried to do the other method as posted by someone with a 2007 but the new steering wheel adjustment lever has a screw that holds the lever in place. Well this screw must be loctited in as I broke a wrench trying to loosen it. What the heck is it with Ford trying to keep us from doing stuff. I would love to kick someones you know what right now. Guess i need to buy a test light as now i'm in uncharted waters.:-huh

System 05-17-2009 09:21 AM

If the door is open the dinger will still ring. Maybe that's your issue. This only stops the dinger with the door shut issue.

senix 05-17-2009 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 7510728)
If the door is open the dinger will still ring. Maybe that's your issue. This only stops the dinger with the door shut issue.

So what everyone wants to do, including myself is to be able to leave the key in the ignition and be able to have the doors open without the dinger.

So now you are saying that your mod does not do that?