Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Wiring brake light. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/821439-wiring-brake-light.html)

RÖENTGEEP 02-13-2009 01:14 PM

Wiring brake light.

Im putting another brake light in the rear part of the shell, where can I connect the + wire to turn on it with the brake pedal, and maybe with the flashers but no with the turn lights?

Thanks in advance.

Neal 97 250 02-13-2009 01:59 PM

I would just wire it into the trailer plug wires. Find the one that lights for the brakes and use it.

RÖENTGEEP 02-13-2009 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 (Post 7136908)
I would just wire it into the trailer plug wires. Find the one that lights for the brakes and use it.

Gracias, do you think that in that way it only turns on with the brake and not with the turn signals, because they are together in the trailer plug, (right and left of course) :-huh

Neal 97 250 02-13-2009 02:43 PM

I was pretty sure that the plug had a separate contact for the bakes but now you have me thinking.

Well you could always wire it up to your third light that you have now.

RÖENTGEEP 02-13-2009 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 (Post 7137076)
I was pretty sure that the plug had a separate contact for the bakes but now you have me thinking.

Well you could always wire it up to your third light that you have now.

I also think about that, but I dont want to put a long, long wire from there to the end of the shell. :confused: But that could be the "only" way to go :-huh

powersmoker96 02-13-2009 03:43 PM

there is a green wire in the trailer harness by the hitch that is just brake lights, i just tapped into it for my brake light on my topper

RÖENTGEEP 02-13-2009 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by powersmoker96 (Post 7137280)
there is a green wire in the trailer harness by the hitch that is just brake lights, i just tapped into it for my brake light on my topper

Oh, OK thank you, I will look for that green wire tomorrow and see what happens. :-drink

RÖENTGEEP 02-16-2009 01:29 PM

Update

Originally Posted by powersmoker96 (Post 7137280)

Well I checked the green wire and is tha left turn light and stop light, and it doesn work as I want to.

I posted this question in the forum: Electrical Systems/wiring, and I thought more people was to answer something, but no :confused: only one
so I want to post here the last part for an update and your help:

Well, many, many years ago I used one of that aftermarket lights that will ignore the turn signal blinking, it has a little black sealed box, maybe with diodes and electronics inside with several wires in each side, and worked fine, but now I cant find another similar. :confused:.
The third brake light on the top rear of the camper is a 30 led light, like those of some suburban from ´91., so I think is not a SMALL light.<O:p
After trying to find out where to connect the light, I found in the harness under the rear bumper, a wire with a "free" connect (non used to anything) and it has power only with the brake pedal, so I connected the light there and worked fine for some time, BUT then after a few minutes, blown the fuse # 13 (15 amp) in the dash. What can I do to fix that, put a bigger fuse :-huh or to put some relay? or what, thanks for your input.<O:p

TexasDiesel97 02-16-2009 05:30 PM

Just my .02s, but i would run a relay with a dedicated hot wire(fused of course) to the relay and use that wire you found to activate the relay. This way it wont blow your fuse and comes on just like the rest of the brake lights.

Cuda_jim 02-16-2009 05:49 PM

I am no electrical genius so take this at your own risk.
If you have the big round 6 or 7 wire trailer connector, the blue wire comes on with the brakes it feeds the electric trailer brakes. The only problem I can think of is the light will go from dim (light braking) to bright (hard braking). Might look cool :)

A bigger fuse is not a good idea. #13 is supposed to be a 15A, right?

I think a relay would work, not sure how many Amps the LED would draw. LEDs usually use less power than a regular lamps of equal size.

RÖENTGEEP 02-16-2009 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by TexasDiesel97 (Post 7148975)
Just my .02s, but i would run a relay with a dedicated hot wire(fused of course) to the relay and use that wire you found to activate the relay. This way it wont blow your fuse and comes on just like the rest of the brake lights.

Thank you. Thats a good idea; in your opinion what should be the amperage for the fuse?. I dont know what is the amps draw of the LED ligth.

Originally Posted by Cuda_jim (Post 7149058)
I am no electrical genius so take this at your own risk.
If you have the big round 6 or 7 wire trailer connector, the blue wire comes on with the brakes it feeds the electric trailer brakes. The only problem I can think of is the light will go from dim (light braking) to bright (hard braking). Might look cool :)

A bigger fuse is not a good idea. #13 is supposed to be a 15A, right?

I think a relay would work, not sure how many Amps the LED would draw. LEDs usually use less power than a regular lamps of equal size.

I have a 7 wire trailer connector. The blue wire only works with the brake controller installed, isnt it?, because I take it out when not in use :confused: (only twice a year).
and yeap the fuse #13 is 15A.

What kind of relay I should use, and anybody has a diagram for the connections?. :-huh Im less than electrical genius.:-banghead

TexasDiesel97 02-16-2009 09:33 PM

i would use a 20 or 25 amp fuse(use the smallest you can get away with) with at least a 30amp capacity relay. Dont have a diagram but i'll explain the best i can. With the relay i'm refering to there will be four blade terminals each has a number(30,87,86, and 85). 30 will be the ove to hook to your light. 87 will be your fused power wire. 86 with be the wire from a switch(in your case the wire you found that comes on with the brake), also it would be a good idea to install a second fuse no more than 5 amps from the brake wire to the relay(helps prevent a possible short and is a added measure of protection). And 85 is your ground wire. This is the same way i wire up aux lights to my trucks, so i hope it makes sense and helps you out.

RÖENTGEEP 02-17-2009 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by TexasDiesel97 (Post 7150306)
i would use a 20 or 25 amp fuse(use the smallest you can get away with) with at least a 30amp capacity relay. Dont have a diagram but i'll explain the best i can. With the relay i'm refering to there will be four blade terminals each has a number(30,87,86, and 85). 30 will be the ove to hook to your light. 87 will be your fused power wire. 86 with be the wire from a switch(in your case the wire you found that comes on with the brake), also it would be a good idea to install a second fuse no more than 5 amps from the brake wire to the relay(helps prevent a possible short and is a added measure of protection). And 85 is your ground wire. This is the same way i wire up aux lights to my trucks, so i hope it makes sense and helps you out.

Yes sir, it makes sense and helps me out, a lot. This morning I was looking one of may relays and it has five blade terminals and also I saw the numbers you are talking about and I dont remember the other number of the fifth blade :confused:. but Im going to buy one relay with only four blade terminals and I will do, what you are mentioned. Thanks :-jammin

BlueMule 02-17-2009 02:59 PM

Jose
The relay you have will work just fine. The 5th terminal on a 5 pin relay is 87A and is a normally closed circuit and only opens when 87 is closed.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...ch/foglite.jpg

30 would be your power supply
87 would go to the new brake light
85 would be your "free" wire that triggers the relay
86 is a ground
87A you don't need it, so just leave it empty

RÖENTGEEP 02-17-2009 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlueMule (Post 7152891)
Jose
The relay you have will work just fine. The 5th terminal on a 5 pin relay is 87A and is a normally closed circuit and only opens when 87 is closed.

30 would be your power supply
87 would go to the new brake light
85 would be your "free" wire that triggers the relay
86 is a ground
87A you don't need it, so just leave it empty

THATS what I needed. thanks Roadney and Texas. I trayed to rep but I couldnt to bluemule, only to Texas.