Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   88 F150 4.9L Dies once I a while- mystery (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/817589-88-f150-4-9l-dies-once-i-a-while-mystery.html)

MK_61701 02-02-2009 11:50 AM

88 F150 4.9L Dies once I a while- mystery

Sorry for creating a new thread if one like this exists already, I could not
find one. I have an 88 f150 4.9L straight engine. Formerly a dual tank
now only front tank. My problem is 3 times now in the past 6 months
this truck will drive just fine, at start up from sitting for a while it takes
about 3 times to start but once it does its a good engine. But like I said,
3 times I have had it just die like it ran out of fuel, but that cant be the
case because yesterday I just put 10.00 bucks in it and drove it for 3
miles and it died and was unable to start it. When you turn the ignition
key you can hear the pump so I know its working. A few months ago it did this in traffic, thank God I was able to coast to a shopping parking lot.
Then I waited for 20 minutes and tried it, it started up so I hurried home
just in case it would act up again. But last night I had to have it towed.
I took one of the spark wires off and connected a screw driver in the
plug wire, and held the screw driver close to the engine while some
one attempted to turn the engine. No spark I could see. I was told it
may be in the distributor some where like a sensor that is gone bad?
When it starts to die it doesn't actually sputter it just loses fuel. I
replaced the fuel filter the 1st time it did this and it ran fine for a great
while until now. Last nite I tried eathor and it wanted to turn over but
didnt. Any ideas? Thanks....

88n94 02-02-2009 12:07 PM

I've got a truck the same year with the same engine. Mine was doing the same thing. Mine turned out to be the PIP in the distributor. That would be my best guess as to what your problem is. The coil has also been known to act something like that. The ignition module on the side of the distributor will also cause problems, but usually once that goes dead it's dead for good. It's your call as to what to try first.

drironhorse 02-02-2009 12:24 PM

I had the same problem, turned out to be a bad coil, its a cheap fix if that is the case.

MK_61701 02-02-2009 12:27 PM

Thanks Guys appreciate it. Yes I remember the mechanic saying it could be 1 of 3 seperate things as you stated. I guess the best thing to do is have him do a test
and narrow it down. I will let him know what you both said. Thanks again.

88n94 02-02-2009 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MK_61701 (Post 7088883)
Thanks Guys appreciate it. Yes I remember the mechanic saying it could be 1 of 3 seperate things as you stated. I guess the best thing to do is have him do a test
and narrow it down. I will let him know what you both said. Thanks again.

Well, you can't really test these components unless you catch them in the no start state. If you test them when the engine is in a running state, they will likely test good. I would try replacing the coil first as this is the cheapest and simplest to replace.

MK_61701 02-02-2009 12:46 PM

Ok will do. I do want to say that when I got this truck last yr, for the past 5 months
I noticed an unusual oder coming into the cabin, like over heating? But a few mechanics
told me it was only the smell of an old truck engine, no big deal. It does not leak oil
as I can see, or radiator flued at all. I also have noticed in the past 2 months a sqweek
noise as it is in motion in the cabin, cant quite place if it is in the dash board or outside
of the truck or near the fire wall? It may not even be related to any of the problems.

MK_61701 02-03-2009 10:07 PM

I am back! We just gave up tonite on this truck, have no clue????? We repalced the
following, I wanted to be sure the problem was fixed but no dice.
Distributor /with PIP- distributor cap - rotor - Ignition modual - coil. It just will not get any spark when I try to turn over the engine. We were told before we attempt anything to the plug out of the coil feed wire in order to check the timing after everything is
put in place. I am wondering if it may be in the ignition switch if that is what is going bad
as well? Any idea and help would be great!!! Since we are out of those at the moment.
Thanks.

rambuck 02-03-2009 10:13 PM

It could be some carbon tracking on the distributor cap. Replace those and check your plugs and wires. I replaced all of those, and my truck runs like it's an '09 model.

MK_61701 02-03-2009 10:23 PM

Like I said, I replaced the distibutor cap with everything else. Wires could stand a replacment but it should still get spark in the rotor and or coil. Nothing, nada, zip.
thanks.....

88n94 02-04-2009 01:04 AM

Maybe you got a bad rebuilt distributor, rebuilt distributors have a terrible reputation. I'm assuming you got a rebuilt distributor, because I doubt if you can even find a new one. You could pull the distributor out and take it to the Ford garage and they could test it very quick. You can test the ignition switch by pulling the connector off the coil that has the two small wires, TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH ON and one wire should have power coming through it and the other one won't as that goes from the coil to the distributor. Just use a test light to check it, make sure the test light is well grounded.

Buzz-150 02-04-2009 05:55 PM

Well My 87 f-150 300, 4x4 is having a similar problem so i thought i would jump in here instead of starting my own thread. My symptoms: Truck will start and idle perfect, drive (any speed) for about 10-15 minutes and then die. Die like it suddenly gets no fuel or no spark. if i wait a few minutes it will start up, idle, and drive fine for about another 5 mins then die the same way. At that point it will crank and turnover but not start up fully and is immobilized.
This problem first came around a month ago and my dad (his truck technically) took it to a shop and they replaced the entire ignition system; distrib and module, wires, plugs ext. The problem went away for a month but came back this week. i was getting great MPG's that month around 17 estimated, haven't had to fill it back up :).
I have been searching through these threads and have found similar cases like this and a multitude of cures: distrib, coil, module, fuel pump, fuel tank selector valve, pcv valve, egr, fuel pressure regulator, battery cables, computer and even stuff like leaving fuel cap off.
I plan on check or replacing most if not all of those parts because the truck only has 93k on it and has been in the family since new. But i was wondering if anyone has an idea about the order to do these or a place to start for checking/replacing these parts. I have never dealt with a problem that seems to appear when the truck heats up to running temp, but then dissapears for a short while after sitting 3 or so minutes. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for long post,
Buzz

MK_61701 02-04-2009 06:27 PM

1996 F150 And Larger F-Series Trucks

you might want to check the ignition switch. As I posted on my f150 - 88
truck it did the same thing except it would run for a few months and just
die on me while driving. I did the same thing, replaced everything except
plug and wires. New distributor does turn when attempt to start just no
spark. I let it set all night last night on a charge since the battery was
almost dead attempting to start it all night. Today, I noticed a broken
blue wire to the far left on drivers side near the fire wall. I crimped a new
wire to brdige the existing one together, not knowing what it was? I
Ford mechanic on the phone said if we replaced everything and still no
spark try looking at the ignition switch under the dash. We moved a few wires around to look for it but took a break. I got curious and tried to
start it up, and low and behold it strated up on first attempt like it was
brand new. Usually it taked 3 or 4 times to crank. So I do not know if
it was that blue wire, or moving wires under the dash that did it for now?
Hope that gives ya an idea.

393STROKER 02-04-2009 08:30 PM

That sound like what happened to my truck.The first time it was a short in the ignition switch fixed by disconnecting the wire on the starter solenoid and putting a starter button in. The second time it was the Hall effect/pip? sensor in the distributor

Buzz-150 02-05-2009 09:23 AM

Thanks, I'll look into the switch tonight. I'm also replacing the fuel pump becuase it makes an awful whining sound and a little grinding sound after about 5 minutes of the engine running. I noticed because i was down there checking on my new fuel filter i had just installed. And once i heard that noise i kept listening down there and sure enough about 5 seconds before the engine died the pump stopped making any noise. I'm new to trucks and vehicle maintenance in general, but I'm pretty sure if the fuel pump quits after 5-10 minutes of running its time for a new one, LOL. I never listened for the fuel pump before, except as i turned the key to ON and i always heard the normal noise at that point.

Thanks again, I'll post after I install the fuel pump.

MK_61701 02-05-2009 09:54 AM

Good to hear that, hope it works for ya? Its rough to maintain a vehicle in todays
market. As for the fuel pump making a whining noise while engine running, I notice on my
88 f150 a few months back I would hear a squeaking noise like wind shield wipers make
on dry glass. I have a manual 5 speed and noticed the sound would winde down when
coming to a stop and put in neutral. I was told it was the throw out bearing, but I just
had all new part for replaced for clutch/transmission last year. But always, after I shut off the truck it makes a similar sound for about 15 seconds or so until it stops.
You should take the hose off the pump and while under your vehicle have someone
start your veh for a second to see if pump is discharging fuel. It could also be your
pump in your gas tank. But if your gas gauge is working fine then I assume the pump in your tank is fine.