Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   rear air thumping noise (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/815957-rear-air-thumping-noise.html)

gearjammer69 01-28-2009 02:08 AM

rear air thumping noise

i have a 2005 expedition and when i ture on the rear air there is a thumping noise coming from the rear of the car it sounds like a ball droping i cant get it to stop unless i turn the rear vents to off and that is the only way it will stop and if you turn them back on it starts again anyone have this same problem and how did ya fix it please help the nocking is driving me mad:confused:

alloro 01-28-2009 02:52 AM

Sounds like a broken blower wheel. Not the motor, just the blower wheel.

alwaysfords41 01-28-2009 07:59 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with alloro, I would say it is one of the two blend door actuators. Is the noise in the rear quarter panel on the passenger side? There are lots of posts regarding this, if you can't find the information I can dig around for it. One is super easy to fix, one is a little trickier.

heymrdj 01-28-2009 08:25 AM

Yes this is exactly what I had. The ball dropping sound. It was the blend door actuator. Mine was the easy one. On the passenger side (where the AC is), pull off the top tray that is there for 3rd row passengers to place stuff. (don't worry simply snaps in, snaps out). You'll see a white box sitting on top of the big black A/C unit. This is the blend door actuator (easy one) that controls the vents (floor and ceiling selector). Turn on your A/C and see if it's the one popping. I had mine done at the dealership, they only wanted 31$ for it, compared to O'Reilly's 33$. I had no labor charged because it had been intermittently doing it since I bought it from them but couldn't verify, so they just charged me for the part and nothing else. Obviously you would probably have labor involved without an extended warranty. Technically it should only take about 5 minutes, plug and play. But mine would not set right, it would go only to one side and stop. So Ford had to reset the computer that controls it to make mine work right. If it's not this easy one, well good luck. Theirs alot of work involved to getting to that other box. You can look for alwaysfords41 (poster above me) writeup on it. Good luck.

alwaysfords41 01-28-2009 08:30 AM

Here is the text of another thread on this...not originally written by me, but it worked for my 04. There are two actuators, mine was in the easy one.

Tools Required: 5/16" socket (small driver is better than larger in my opinion), phillips screwdriver, Torque head socket, and maybe a flathead to jimmy the trim off in some spots.

"Easy" One
1. Simply Pop off the Long Change/crap holder underneath the rear passenger side glass. (Snaps right out with a little pressre but be careful).
2. Turn on your car and adjust the Rear A/C until you hear the thumping.
3. You will see the Rear A/C unit and right on top is an White/Opaque square box. Unplug the wiring harness from this box and see if it stops. If it does you are in luck! If not see "Hard" One
4. Pop out the cup holder just in front of the open trim hole (you will need to to get another hand in there)
5. Use your 5/16" socket and remove. Place the new part in it's place.
6. Make sure you align the pin (Do this by pluging the wiring harness into the new unit and have someone adjust the Hot/Cold until the pin lines up and the new actuator slips in correctly and the bolt hoes line up.
7. Bolt in and Test....Replace the trim and you are done.

'Hard" One
1. Do above precedure until step 3 if the thumping does not stop put the wiring harness back in "Easy" one and locate the 2nd actuator which is a little farther forward and along the side next to the trim. Disconnect that wiring harness and verify the thumping stops. If it does not stop...Sorry you are SOL for this thread. If it does stop, make sure you have a couple hours to devote to replacing this. If you don't just leave it disconnected until you have time (at least the thumping has stopped but you will likely have drastic temps in the rear)
2. Now you basically need to remove the rear trim panel enough to get the space to remove this unit.
3. Below is the order I would take the trim off...Just need a little force to get the clips out
A-remove the spare tire lid, and jack
B- remove the skid trim
C- remove the black jack liner 5/16" socket and a rubber gasket and it snaps out
D- remove the top center trim
E- Use Torque head socket to remove the top seat belt bolt
F- unscrew the plastic screw which hold down the rear panel trim "ear" to the frame
G- snap off the upper Corner post trim enough to get the rear panel snaped out
H- snap off the rear panel enough so you have some room to work (there won't be much but there is enough to get in there) otherwise you will have to take the entire panel off which I did not do.
4. Unbolt the actuator 5/16" socket Qty 4
5. Place the new part in it's place.
6. Make sure you align the pin (Do this by pluging the wiring harness into the new unit and have someone adjust the Hot/Cold until the pin lines up and the new actuator slips in correctly and the bolt hoes line up.

People have also posted about being able to replace this one by reaching forward rather than pulling the trim.

gearjammer69 01-29-2009 07:44 PM

yip that is were it is i thought it would be easy to fix myself and would cost an arm and leg at dealership thanx

heymrdj 01-29-2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by gearjammer69 (Post 7074984)
yip that is were it is i thought it would be easy to fix myself and would cost an arm and leg at dealership thanx

Which actuator was it?

tseekins 01-30-2009 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by alwaysfords41 (Post 7067463)
Here is the text of another thread on this...not originally written by me, but it worked for my 04. There are two actuators, mine was in the easy one.

Tools Required: 5/16" socket (small driver is better than larger in my opinion), phillips screwdriver, Torque head socket, and maybe a flathead to jimmy the trim off in some spots.

"Easy" One
1. Simply Pop off the Long Change/crap holder underneath the rear passenger side glass. (Snaps right out with a little pressre but be careful).
2. Turn on your car and adjust the Rear A/C until you hear the thumping.
3. You will see the Rear A/C unit and right on top is an White/Opaque square box. Unplug the wiring harness from this box and see if it stops. If it does you are in luck! If not see "Hard" One
4. Pop out the cup holder just in front of the open trim hole (you will need to to get another hand in there)
5. Use your 5/16" socket and remove. Place the new part in it's place.

'Hard" One
1. Do above precedure until step 3 if the thumping does not stop put the wiring harness back in "Easy" one and locate the 2nd actuator which is a little farther forward and along the side next to the trim. Disconnect that wiring harness and verify the thumping stops. If it does not stop...Sorry you are SOL for this thread. If it does stop, make sure you have a couple hours to devote to replacing this. If you don't just leave it disconnected until you have time (at least the thumping has stopped but you will likely have drastic temps in the rear)
2. Now you basically need to remove the rear trim panel enough to get the space to remove this unit.
3. Below is the order I would take the trim off...Just need a little force to get the clips out
A-remove the spare tire lid, and jack
B- remove the skid trim
C- remove the black jack liner 5/16" socket and a rubber gasket and it snaps out
D- remove the top center trim
E- Use Torque head socket to remove the top seat belt bolt
F- unscrew the plastic screw which hold down the rear panel trim "ear" to the frame
G- snap off the upper Corner post trim enough to get the rear panel snaped out
H- snap off the rear panel enough so you have some room to work (there won't be much but there is enough to get in there) otherwise you will have to take the entire panel off which I did not do.
4. Unbolt the actuator 5/16" socket Qty 4
5. Place the new part in it's place.

People have also posted about being able to replace this one by reaching forward rather than pulling the trim.

Great post and research! Both of mine went out on my "04, fortunately Ford paid for them.

Tim

gearjammer69 01-30-2009 10:58 PM

had one go out about a year ago and for replaced it but looked at my paperwork would have cost 300.00 and i am not goimg to pay that these days i can do the work a lot cheaper i think and my warenty is up dont u know thanx for info do these go out alot do u know?

yosemitesamiam 05-07-2009 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by gearjammer69 (Post 7066951)
i have a 2005 expedition and when i ture on the rear air there is a thumping noise coming from the rear of the car it sounds like a ball droping i cant get it to stop unless i turn the rear vents to off and that is the only way it will stop and if you turn them back on it starts again anyone have this same problem and how did ya fix it please help the nocking is driving me mad:confused:

I had this exact same thing in Colorado...then we moved to SoCal and it stopped. :)

Bamboo13 01-04-2011 12:51 PM

Reviving an old thread but I had this happen to me this passed summer. It wasn't an issue because it blows out cold air only. But it's winter now and even though in the desert it gets a little cold for the kids in the back. Can anyone post the part number or reference number for the "hard" unit that I need to replace. I have an '04 Lincoln Navi. Thanks and this site is great!!!

alwaysfords41 01-04-2011 03:25 PM

Sorry, I don't know them. I took the p/n off mine when I had it out, and it was the easy one.

Bamboo13 01-05-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by alwaysfords41 (Post 9775416)
Sorry, I don't know them. I took the p/n off mine when I had it out, and it was the easy one.

Eeh, no worries! I'm taking it apart this weekend so I can just get the part number off of there and bring it into Checkers. Thanks though.

enyapp 01-31-2011 10:42 AM

Mine started thumping too!

My wife drives our 2004 Exp. and usually has the kids in the back. She was telling me about a loud noise coming from the right rear. When I drove it to see what the noise was I was alone so I didn't have the rear air on. I just narrowed it down to the rear air on Saturday. Thanks for posting the step by step repair instructions. I'm going to check it out probably this evening.

enyapp 02-01-2011 02:20 PM

My faulty part was the easy one on top accessible throught the cup holder/tray. (2004 Expedition Motocraft Part No. YH-1743)
My online research results:
Part #'s:
http://www.aircore.com/gfx/bulletins...0Actuators.pdf

Fordparts.com search for blend door motors. Click on view image for a nice diagram:
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

Best price w/ shipping from:
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Hope this helps.