Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Clicking noise when turning sharp (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/812860-clicking-noise-when-turning-sharp.html)

fawey1 01-19-2009 02:42 PM

Clicking noise when turning sharp

Hello Again, First I have to say that this group has really helped me over the years.
About two months ago I replaced both front wheel barings and also the calipers.

Recently I am getting a clicking sound, which is intermittant, coming from the drivers side wheel when I make sharp turns. It has to be a sharp turn to hear it.

Vehicle is a 1997 ford ranger, 4 cyl, automatic. Miles: 60000. I plan on keeping this truck forever so what ever needs fixed, I fix it or get it fixed.
Any advice on this noise is appreciated. You have not "steared" me wrong yet. No pun intended:-whud

fawey1 01-19-2009 04:34 PM

I failed to mention this is a 2wd vehicle, thanks again,
Ken

sfcwoodret 01-19-2009 06:00 PM

Sounds like a CV joint going bad.

fawey1 01-19-2009 06:11 PM

Does the rear wheel drive 2wd vehicle have cv joints? I know it may sound strange, but I know nothing about vehicles. Thanks

pc09123 01-19-2009 07:04 PM

I wouldn't think your rear wheels would have CV joints unless you might have independent suspension and four-wheel steering on the rear end. Usually you can recognize the CV joint by looking for a black rubber boot just behind the wheel hub, and the boot will appear to have ridges on it. Your CV joint is housed inside the boot which allows you to steer the vehicle while in motion. They are fairly painless to replace with a little instruction.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

drb1956 01-19-2009 08:19 PM

This is a 2 wheel drive Ranger, not front wheel drive!!! Lets try something real simple-look at your tire first, and see if there is a stone or a nail/bolt stuck in it on the outer edge of the tire..if not, jack up the left front (driver side), and grab hold of the wheel and try to wiggle it in and out, or side to side, to see how much play there is in your wheel bearing for one, and if your ball joints are going bad..if you suspect its the wheel bearing, and you can take off the center cap on the rotor, when you wiggle the wheel, you should see it move on the spindle..If thats ok, while your wiggling the wheel, see if the ball joints are loose-also look at your tie rod ends, as these will make noise when going bad..If none of the above is you culprit, pull off the tire, and look at your brakes-is the caliper on solid, or is it loose?? Look at your pads and rotor also-as you can get a pretty good rust bead on the edge of the rotor, and as you turn sharp, the rotor "flexes" slightly, and could explain the intermitent noise.. Make sure there isn't a brake hose hanging off its mounting clip and hitting the tire or rim.. Doesn't hurt to check all of the above just for the peace of mind...Also-"steered" I think is the correct spelling, but I've been known to be wrong!! Good luck!!!

Taumac 01-20-2009 04:42 PM

Try checking the dust plate behind the rotor could be bent or loose... or could be inner fender well rub

drb1956 01-21-2009 07:25 AM

Clicking????

[quote=fawey1;7029469]Hello Again, First I have to say that this group has really helped me over the years.
About two months ago I replaced both front wheel barings and also the calipers.

Recently I am getting a clicking sound, which is intermittant, coming from the drivers side wheel when I make sharp turns. It has to be a sharp turn to hear it.

When you replaced the wheel bearings, did you pack them real good with a quality grease, and also the caliper bolts, did you put some hi-temp grease on them too?? How did you tighten up the wheel bearing?? You put in "new" wheel bearings into an old rotor, did you replace the race for the bearing?? Sometimes an old bearing race gets "worn" in a certain way to the old bearing, especially if the bearings were subject to water and mud or dust a lot, and when you replace just the bearing, it can give you problems(had this happen)..Did the cailper bolts show abnormal wear, as the caliper can have excess play.. Check that dust plate behind the rotor as the other poster said-could be loose and flexing into the rotor when turning sharply..Also check the plastic shield in the fenderwell hasn't come loose, the one piece thats over the top of the upper ball joint thats has those plastic "screws" to hold it in place, so it hits the wheel when you turn sharply..just food for thought!!! Good Luck!!