Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Rear Wheel Hub Nut Socket (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/810325-rear-wheel-hub-nut-socket.html)

BDalton 01-11-2009 05:52 PM

Rear Wheel Hub Nut Socket

Okay, I am getting ready to replace the rear bearings and seals in my truck. I need the “special” socket to remove the hub nut. I have searched and searched and all I can find is one for the Ford 10.25 or one for the Dana 80 rear. I assume one of these will work on the 10.5, but I do not know which one? Does anyone have any ideas, or a part number on their socket I can get? Thanks,

rebelchevy02 01-11-2009 05:58 PM

The one for the sterling axle, does both the 10.25, and 10.5 axles. When I got mine, I think I had just gotten it from autozone, or one of those types of stores. Have you looked in to the retorqueing specs for the rear axle?

BDalton 01-11-2009 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 (Post 6996915)
The one for the sterling axle, does both the 10.25, and 10.5 axles. When I got mine, I think I had just gotten it from autozone, or one of those types of stores. Have you looked in to the retorqueing specs for the rear axle?

Yeah I saw the one Auto Zone had, but it only said 10.25, but if it will work on a 10.5 that is great. As far as torque goes I found:

60-65 ft lb, then back off 5 clicks for new wheel bearings

60-80 ft lb for the axle shaft bolts (with thread lock)

150 ft lb for the lug nuts

If these numbers are wrong or if anyone has better info please let me know. Thanks,

ron's power stroke 01-11-2009 06:06 PM

this is all i could find on it
-Ford Rear hub socket (available at parts houses. Autozone didn't have one)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ake-shoes.html

PowerstrokeJunkie 01-11-2009 06:12 PM

Make sure to torque the axle shafts and lugs with the weight of the truck sitting on them.

rebelchevy02 01-11-2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by BDalton (Post 6996941)
Yeah I saw the one Auto Zone had, but it only said 10.25, but if it will work on a 10.5 that is great. As far as torque goes I found:

60-65 ft lb, then back off 5 clicks for new wheel bearings

60-80 ft lb for the axle shaft bolts (with thread lock)

150 ft lb for the lug nuts

If these numbers are wrong or if anyone has better info please let me know. Thanks,

Yeap, those are the numbers. I had a hell of a time finding them, and ended up finding them at the ford garage, after looking though one of their huge manuals. IIRC for used bearins, you only back them off 3 clicks. But its been a while since I had mine apart. (this would be assuming your reinstalling the old bearings.) As far as the spindle socket, there is basically two. One that does the front axles, and chevy axles, and the ford sterling socket. But I havent done anything to the D80s or larger yet, so in MY world, theres two.

BDalton 01-11-2009 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ron's power stroke (Post 6996946)
this is all i could find on it
-Ford Rear hub socket (available at parts houses. Autozone didn't have one)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ake-shoes.html

Thanks for the link, I got it book marked to help as a guide.

BDalton 01-11-2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3 (Post 6996963)
Make sure to torque the axle shafts and lugs with the weight of the truck sitting on them.

Well that is new info. So just snug it up, then put it down on it's weight and apply the torque? Sounds simple enough, thanks.

BDalton 01-11-2009 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 (Post 6996979)
Yeap, those are the numbers. I had a hell of a time finding them, and ended up finding them at the ford garage, after looking though one of their huge manuals. IIRC for used bearins, you only back them off 3 clicks. But its been a while since I had mine apart. (this would be assuming your reinstalling the old bearings.) As far as the spindle socket, there is basically two. One that does the front axles, and chevy axles, and the ford sterling socket. But I havent done anything to the D80s or larger yet, so in MY world, theres two.

That is exactly what I have found running around today and searching the web. I guess I'll go with the 10.25 Sterling socket. The old links that used to take you to motorcraft repair manuals don't work for me , they ask for a log in now.:confused: But I was able to scrounge those numbers from this board and googling stuff. Thanks,

clintbonnie 01-11-2009 06:38 PM

I torqued my rear axle nut according to info here on the forum recently. copied from a post:

Remove the caliper and wire it up out of the way so the line doesn't get damaged. Then remove the caliper anchor plate. Now the 8 axle bolts on the hub then slide the axle shaft out. Now you'll need the 4 prong socket.....remove the hub nut. Remove the outer rear wheel bearing and the rear hub and brake disc assembly. Then remove the bolts that hold the two together. (for a dually).

When you re-install the hub nut, push in on the socket so the ratcheting parts of the hub nut don't engage and tighten to 70 lb/ft and then back it off 90º. Now retorque it to 18 lb/ft to 20lb/ft max. ( quoted from AustinS)

Is this OK.. or should I redo the torque..?

rebelchevy02 01-11-2009 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by clintbonnie (Post 6997075)
I torqued my rear axle nut according to info here on the forum recently. copied from a post:

Remove the caliper and wire it up out of the way so the line doesn't get damaged. Then remove the caliper anchor plate. Now the 8 axle bolts on the hub then slide the axle shaft out. Now you'll need the 4 prong socket.....remove the hub nut. Remove the outer rear wheel bearing and the rear hub and brake disc assembly. Then remove the bolts that hold the two together. (for a dually).

When you re-install the hub nut, push in on the socket so the ratcheting parts of the hub nut don't engage and tighten to 70 lb/ft and then back it off 90º. Now retorque it to 18 lb/ft to 20lb/ft max. ( quoted from AustinS)

Is this OK.. or should I redo the torque..?

Its been a while, since I did mine, but 90* backup, is probably pretty similar to the 5 clicks back off. HOWEVER, I cannot tell you they use the same system on th D80s, as the sterlings. I do not know the torque sequence for the D80s. I do think however that Austin is pretty good at getting accurate info, dang near word for word, I dont imagine he would have quoted that info, unless he though it to be true.

wnb007 03-02-2011 09:20 AM

I know this thread is a little old but it comes up when someone googles this topic so im adding this for information purposes. I bought a Performance Tools PN-W83008 for 85-99 10.25" axles and it will NOT work on my 06 10.5" axle because it will not slide into the spindle. It might could be machined down in a lathe to fit but doesn't work as is from the parts store. Your in luck apparently if you have an older 10.25" axle Oreilly has them part number listed above for $17. The only one I can find that specifically says fits the 10.5" axle is OTC PN-6601 so Im going to order it.

jasonodsky 05-26-2011 01:12 PM

Just an update for the socket part numbers. Mile Marker makes the socket, # 15009-01 and it is for all F250, F350 and Excursions with the 10.5 rearend.

I found it at AutoZone.com priced at $20.99 with $6 shipping. The OTC part number is much more expensive at the $40+ range

I hope this helps others.

MikeSDK 11-04-2011 01:50 PM

Does anyone have the part number for the Dana 80 hub?

I need to do this job ASAP, but can't find the socket-

Edit- Found one on Amazon. Should be OTC 7269

MikeSDK 11-05-2011 04:35 PM

Pretty sure I got the last one currently available from the seller. If you put the Part no. in Google shopping, it will show you where to get them.