Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   5 beeps 5 times (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/807448-5-beeps-5-times.html)

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 01-02-2009 05:13 PM

5 beeps 5 times

it seems like recently almost everytime I start my truck it beeps 5 beeps 5 times. so it beeps 25 times. what could this be and how do i get rid of it. I wear my seatbelt so it is not that. there has to be a relay or something to stop the dam thing from doing it.

99f350sd 01-02-2009 05:51 PM

My bros e 350 2003 does the same thing has him pulling his hair out..

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 01-02-2009 05:56 PM

ya it is driving me crazy it is annoying as all hell!!!!

Fordfanatic4life 01-02-2009 06:05 PM

disconnect the battery for a few mins and reconnect it..

see if it resets whateva alarm is tripped..doubtful but worth the hassle of losing ur radio presets i guess.

scraprat 01-02-2009 06:07 PM

My '99' does this it will keep cycling the beep every 20 minutes +/-, there was a thread on here year or 2 ago about what it was and how to fix it. Keep the music up and if you have passenger and ask what's that beeping play it off that you don't hear anything it will drive them crazy.

dew the thunder 01-02-2009 06:12 PM

My friend's F150 was making beeping noises but had other problems as well. Radio not working properly and windows not working properly... ended up replacing the GEM module. All's fine now I guess.

scraprat 01-02-2009 06:28 PM

I found my thread from years ago.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tone-code.html
But someone posted what the problem was and the fix. Never fixed mine, just learn to ignore the noise. That truck has 240,000 miles on it and nothing ever went wrong with it.

projectSHO89 01-02-2009 07:48 PM

Wow..

The 5 x 5 beep is the backup alarm for the airbag system. This is in the owner's manual.

Replace the airbag warning lite in the cluster and the beeping will go away. Now, with a primary warning indicator that works, you can count the flashes to get a two-digit lamp Fault Code (LFC) that will guide you towards diagnosing the fault in the airbag system.

Steve

Yougotthehit 01-03-2009 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 6959412)
Wow..

The 5 x 5 beep is the backup alarm for the airbag system. This is in the owner's manual.

Replace the airbag warning lite in the cluster and the beeping will go away. Now, with a primary warning indicator that works, you can count the flashes to get a two-digit lamp Fault Code (LFC) that will guide you towards diagnosing the fault in the airbag system.

Steve

What he said! I had this issue when I pulled the airbag light because it annoyed me. When I did that the beeping started. Put it back in and it went away. Found about it was a backup.

krewat 01-04-2009 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 6959412)
Wow..

Rep points for that :-X22

RLF350 06-16-2010 11:53 AM

Fixed the 5 beep sequence

I too had about 100,000 on my 2002 F-350 when every time I started it there was a 5-beep chime sequence for 5 sets (or 25 beeps). Took it to a mechanic and they couldn't find anything wrong.

:-banghead

I found this blog while searching for a solution, and it is so obvious I can't believe I didn't notice it before. You guys were all so close SRS, ABS, but here's the fix...

Notice on your dashboard there is a passenger-side airbag on/off switch. Now think about the amber indicator lamp on the instrument panel (lower right-hand corner) with a guy sitting with an airbag inflated? Remember how annoying it was when that light was on all the time -- its to remind you to disable the airbag if you have a small child or infant sitting in the front seat. Cars don't have it, because they have a back seat -- of course your truck probably does too, but remember FORD builds one dash cluster which also is in the standard cab!

OK -- now I bet along about the time you heard those beeps, that little light was not on anymore? AH HA! Yes -- you will also get the same beeps if you mess with your Check Engine light.

Remove the radio (get a Ford radio removal tool at WalMart) then carefully remove the dash cowling - no tools use your fingers as they are all snap connectors, Remove the instrument cluster with a 9/32 socket, disconnect the 3 wire harnesses plugged in back. flip the cluster upside down, you remove the lights from the backside, DON'T try to peel up the instrumentation graphics.

Notice the location of the airbag lamp, take a 9/32 socket and gently turn the lamp holder a 1/8 turn counter-clockwise, and the holder should pop-out. Easier said then done, you will notice that it is the hardest lamp to get to.

Get a replacement bulb at any auto parts store (the bulb pulls out of the holder, you do not need to buy the entire unit from Ford). replace, reinstall the panel, dash and radio and start your truck. No beeps!!!

:)

TennesseeMustangPerf 06-16-2010 12:07 PM

Good deal. BTW, the SRS and ABS systems are different things. SRS is Safety Restraint System i.e. airbags, the ABS is Anti-Lock Brake System.

dboftx 11-02-2011 11:16 AM

Easy fix for 5-beep issue

First of all, a huge THANK YOU to everyone in here and in other forums for all the info on the cause of the "5 beeps 5 times" issue. The problem in my 2000 Expedition was a burnt out airbag warning light, as explained earlier (probably burnt out because I ignored it for so long). The instructions in this thread are great for replacing the bulb (BTW, mine was a tiny little bulb, type 74 I think).

Beyond that, the root cause of the airbag warning was incredibly easy to fix, so I thought I'd post it here in case others have the same issue. From searching many online forums, I learned that my airbag fault code, 37, is very common. It's a warning for a passenger seat airbag. Even if you don't have the airbag in the seat, you still have a connector for it under the passenger seat, which plugs into some type of termination plug. This can easily get kicked or disturbed from stuff being pushed under the seat. To fix the error, simply unplug and reseat the connector. Works like a charm!

The beeping was driving me insane, SO glad to have it fixed!

Sharlee Kuchynka 11-10-2014 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs (Post 6958603)
it seems like recently almost everytime I start my truck it beeps 5 beeps 5 times. so it beeps 25 times. what could this be and how do i get rid of it. I wear my seatbelt so it is not that. there has to be a relay or something to stop the dam thing from doing it.

Have u checked the passenger air bag light? Ours is beeping the same way, think its the airbag bulb..

projectSHO89 11-10-2014 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sharlee Kuchynka (Post 14808054)
Have u checked the passenger air bag light? Ours is beeping the same way, think its the airbag bulb..

You need to read this WHOLE thread. The answer is already here.

The beeping is a backup for the fault light in the cluster. It means that you have to fix that first, then that bulb can flash out a code that actually tells you what's wrong. The PAD bulb is one of more than a dozen possibilities.