Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum143/)
-   -   Anyone have a good shop to recommend? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/806918-anyone-have-a-good-shop-to-recommend.html)

ranger1999 Bob 12-31-2008 07:57 PM

Anyone have a good shop to recommend?

Anyone have a good shop that can check out my 4wd ? prefereably in the old bridge area?

truck is an 03 f 150 with the manual shift 4wd and i imagine automatic hubs as there appears to be nothing to adjust on the front axels

today i was driving in the snow and the truck was slipping a little in the 2wd so i stopped and shifted into neutral threw it into 4wd hich and took off.. it seemed a little like it was dragging but i didnt think anything of it.. well i was looking for an address and came to a complete stop . i then proceeded to start a turn turned the wheel three or four turns to make a left and when i went to start moving it was like it took alot of effort to make the truck move and when it did there was a clunking up front and the truck bucked a tad kinda like you feel when a patch of oil gets on your drive tire on a 2wd... same thing happened when i tried to pull into a parking spot that was on a 45 degree angle to the street on the right from a dead stop..

I was using one guy for a mechanic , but the last job left me with bad feelings as there are definately some issues with the work and i tried calling this guy direct as ive always done yet he refuses to return a call, so clearly this guy doesnt want or need my business

sddesigns 12-31-2008 09:26 PM

Well first off turning 3 - 4 times in 4 wheel drive on pavement will make it feel like your hopping. If you’re in snow or mud it will still feel a little choppy because of the extreme turn. You should never turn hard in 4 wheel drive on dry or even wet pavement, you'll twist the axles and snap something if not really mess up your tires too.

Now if you need a real good mechanic, I'm in North Jersey, Wharton, there's a really good shop around the corner from me Automotive Magic. The owner's name is Shawn and his number is 973-366-3777. Real good guy and honest to boot. I was recommended to him from a real close family member that worked for an auto parts store and dealt with him a lot. I've been going to him for about 2 1/2 years now.

PS He drives a 99 Lighting custom built motor by Johnny Lighting (Johnny's Truck 8.49 second 1/4 mile 165.5MPH )

tjc transport 01-01-2009 11:23 AM

bob, call tom Knapp.

RT#516, on the corner of partridge road.
over near the high school.

tom is the only person allowed to touch my vehicles.
he is honest, and good prices.
tell him i sent you.
Ton Cohan

Knapp's Automotive

Old Bridge, NJ
732-583-1791

ranger1999 Bob 01-01-2009 11:42 AM

thanks for the input im gonna try tom knapp first as he is closer thanks again Tom and Steve!