Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New York Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum87/)
-   -   Yes Neil, AWD vehicles can be slid.... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/806903-yes-neil-awd-vehicles-can-be-slid.html)

Ronin007 12-31-2008 06:49 PM

Yes Neil, AWD vehicles can be slid....

I did a quick look on YouTube for you and here is what I found:

Ari Vatanen at Pikes Peak (pay attention to the turn he does at 4:10 in the video as to the technique I was talking about):

YouTube - Ari vatanen pikes peak

This video is a bit blurry, but has some great turns done by the WRC pros. Actually you will see several different techniques used besides the one I mentioned:

YouTube - Rally WRC Drift

Enjoy and watch the one long sliding turn that Gigi Galli does in the red Mitsu which is sweet and :-hair raising!!

tiny1 12-31-2008 08:52 PM

Good evening Darren and I will take a look at those when I have a chance.

Jack_99V10 01-01-2009 02:50 PM

I'm not sure how this came up.
Before I add my $0.02 can I have a link?
hehe

Ronin007 01-01-2009 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jack_99V10 (Post 6954061)
I'm not sure how this came up.
Before I add my $0.02 can I have a link?
hehe

Jack - it all started here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6890233

Posts #275 through #293.

Now you can comment!!!:-X10

tiny1 01-02-2009 05:39 AM

Howdy Jack and Happy New Year to you and too you also Darren.

I will let the link that Darren posted handle the explanation.

Jack_99V10 01-02-2009 04:45 PM

Perfect, thanks.

If need be, hit the e-brake for a second, that is sure to put the car into a slide, at which point you release the brake handle and mash the gas.

If you lack throttle control (which most men do :) ) you can just mash it and crank the wheel. This will force you into a sweet axis spin. Like this one:

YouTube - Subaru WRX STi Donuts

Fortunately for you... if you're doing left handed donuts, your wife will be pushed against her door and she won't be able to slap you until you stop... at which point she will be so dizzy she may not be able to hit you anyway.

I don't have any vids of the donuts I used to do in my VR4... but they were similar to this. Only I used 2nd and 3rd gears... hehe.

YouTube - Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Burnout

The donuts, or any playing at all, are much more controlled in an AWD vehicle. As you know, in a truck, when the ass end wants to come out.. there are only 2 things you can do:
Give it gas and let it come all the way around
Get off the gas and hopefully it stops before you're in a ditch.

With AWD when you get out of the throttle it will straighten out pretty quickly, or you can stay on the throttle and just hold a powerslide out of the "turn" and straighten it out with throttle control and some steering.

tiny1 01-02-2009 07:45 PM

With my first car I had perfected the 'rear end kicked out the side' like the World of Outlaw and DIRT cars do. It was real fun when there was a little bit of snow on the road.
Unfortunatley with the Edge, the e-brake is a push on pull off type so it is not the best setup to use. Right now, I am going to let the newness of it wear off some before trying to have some fun with it :)

Ronin007 01-03-2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by tiny1 (Post 6959395)
Right now, I am going to let the newness of it wear off some before trying to have some fun with it :)

That won't take long with Jack and me working on you.}>

You really have to get out there and just try some of this stuff. I was out doing donuts and power slide turns with the wife's Mariner the first major snow we had after we purchased it. She was pretty ticked off at me after she found out, but I just told her I needed to see how it would perform.:)

I really do miss my Subaru at times, but I got tired of all the punk kids with stickers and a tacked on wing wanting to race me.:-X15

sglaine 01-03-2009 09:11 PM

My self I would like to retire 3 out of my fleet and get 2 to replace them with

tiny1 01-04-2009 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ronin007 (Post 6963760)
That won't take long with Jack and me working on you.}>

You really have to get out there and just try some of this stuff. I was out doing donuts and power slide turns with the wife's Mariner the first major snow we had after we purchased it. She was pretty ticked off at me after she found out, but I just told her I needed to see how it would perform.:)I really do miss my Subaru at times, but I got tired of all the punk kids with stickers and a tacked on wing wanting to race me.:-X15

That is what I tell my wife each time I kick the back end of the truck out during the winter. :-fire

BIGKEN 01-04-2009 08:29 AM

SOOOOO...Has the newness worn off yet??? }>

Ronin007 01-04-2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BIGKEN (Post 6965165)

:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

Jack_99V10 01-04-2009 08:55 PM

I knew that foot pedal would scare you.

No worries... PUMP IT!!!

I had one in my Lumina years ago and nobody believe that I could do sweet donuts and high quality drifts in a FWD 4door baby blue gramma-mobile.

As you push into the pedal leave your foot on it... with pressure. Once it gets out on you pump it... basically like a "double clutch" movement. As quickly as you can move your foot the brake will engage and disengage in the blink of an eye.

I don't have anything other than my truck that has a foot brake... and that one doesn't work, or I'd show you.

tiny1 01-04-2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by BIGKEN (Post 6965165)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I am finally getting my visitation rights in order to drive it without her in it }>