Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   diesel backfire??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/806572-diesel-backfire.html)

josh83tx 12-30-2008 07:35 PM

diesel backfire???

OK so for a week now my 2000 7.3 has backfired whenever it feels necesary. Like once every 700 miles to 3 times in 50 miles. It threw a engine light today took it to autozone and no codes. I had a guy hook it to a ford machine and he told me it was the turbo going out but I don't understand how if it runs strong and only misses every now and then.

truck has 6 pos chip
4' exhaust straight
AIH delete
WW
380000 miles

Any help would be greatly accepted.

F350-6 12-30-2008 07:41 PM

Tell us what codes the Ford machine saw. Did you actually hear a backfire, or did it just feel like one?

triskit16 12-30-2008 07:52 PM

Yea, AZ reader wont work, post the codes as Chris said and we can tell you if the ford guy is full of chit or not.

josh83tx 12-30-2008 07:59 PM

i didnt get exact codes he kept a secret which i didnt like i am in the same kinda industry and he sounded fishy but he told me to put the air intake heater back in and that something was upp with the exhaust back pressure was jacked up is there a place yall know of that would give me aprint out of the codes or atleast let me write them down he just wanted me to leave truck and give him $ 17000 to fix it lol Also i dnt hear a backfire i feel it but the truck sounds like it shuts off and picks right back up

triskit16 12-30-2008 08:02 PM

I see you're down in TX. There are a few members down there, including Chris. Im sure they can recommend a reputable place to go. I use my old superchips tuner!

MAKO314 12-30-2008 08:08 PM

change the cps my truck did the same thing. at hiway speed if the engine cuts out the tc is locked up and just rolls the engine back to life if it cuts out at a stop you have to re crank it. this is what mine did and it was the cps

F350-6 12-30-2008 08:09 PM

Where in Texas are you? Did you pay the guy for the diagnostics? If he charged you, then you've paid to see the codes, so he needs to offer them up.

From your description, it kind of sounds like your CPS is acting up on you. When mine acted up, it reminded me of an intake backfire (without the sound) on an old gasser. The CPS costs about $30 from Ford (stay away from NAPA etc. for this) Here's the instructions on how to change it. Welcome to guzzle's CPS R&R Web Page

The CPS is also under recall. If you haven't had it done, you could have Ford do it for free, but there have been some rough idle issues with the new one, so if you have a black CPS in your truck, I'd spend the $30 and swap it out yourself to see if that makes a difference. Keep the black one as a spare.

Izzy351 12-30-2008 08:23 PM

They can make a noise like a back fire, but I'm not sure it's the textbook definition. Apparently out the tail pipe OR out the intake. Here's an old thread on the subject:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...-backfire.html

I remember an issue about a POP noise while into the throttle heavy too. In fact, mine did it once some time ago. Scared the fire out of me. Pun intended. I squeezed a hell of a crease in the seat that day, too.

josh83tx 12-30-2008 08:24 PM

i am in denton tx and i did pay for a diag (dnt point and laugh) but I had read this site alot and I wanted to replace cps but wanted to seek input so tomorrow I will go to Ford and get one and fill yall back in Thanks for all the help so far guys

Izzy351 12-30-2008 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by josh83tx (Post 6946702)
i am in denton tx and i did pay for a diag (dnt point and laugh) but I had read this site alot and I wanted to replace cps but wanted to seek input so tomorrow I will go to Ford and get one and fill yall back in Thanks for all the help so far guys

You're right up the road, man! I'm in Lewisville...

F350-6 12-30-2008 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by josh83tx (Post 6946702)

I'm 15 miles North of Hillsboro, and I have a scanner we can put on it for free (ok, maybe I'll charge a beer or two). My stepdaughter lives in Argyle. If we go see her this weekend I could meet up with you and scan the truck.

You need to find a few more things to say here on FTE so your post count reaches 25. Then your private messaging feature will be enabled (unless you become a supporter to get that now). We can figure out how to meet up through PM's so personal contact info isn't floating around on the WWW.

josh83tx 12-30-2008 08:41 PM

i would completely be into meeting up and seeing what the codes do read I would pay in beer or cash but i am at my ends in this I haul a trailer most of weekends and this backfire with a 30ft trailer is for the dogs

josh83tx 12-30-2008 08:45 PM

I have to have 25 post to get those i have gotten them before from another guy

big poppa 12-30-2008 08:50 PM

Man, "I love it when a plan comes together". Your in good hands josh...

josh83tx 12-30-2008 08:52 PM

yeah tell me bout it christmas is over and the presents still coming all i want is my truck to feel better