Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Superchips on 5.4L? worth it? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/804216-superchips-on-5-4l-worth-it.html)

grandfathersgarage 12-22-2008 06:40 PM

Superchips on 5.4L? worth it?

Looking to get a Superchips for my 01 SD CC 4x4 5.4L. Is it worth it? any real gains for power and mpg? primarily looking for mpg gain with some additional power for occasional HD towing, especially WITHOUT stepping up to premium gas!
thanks for any info!
Scott

msalyer 12-22-2008 07:10 PM

I have one on mine and it doesn't do alot. It makes the tranny shift stronger and helps a little with towing. You can also adjust for larger tires and remove the speed limiter. It MIGHT have helped a tiny bit on mpg but not much if any.

WeWonIt 12-22-2008 07:13 PM

I am also interested in this. I know a programmer is a good purchase, but my experiences are limited to a Hypertech. Dare I ask but what is the best 5.4programmer, with out a custom tune?

FX4 5.4 12-22-2008 07:49 PM

i have a diablosport predator in my 05 5.4 and it is great. i also had one in in a 2000 f150 5.4. i wouldn't use another brand

Furian 12-22-2008 07:54 PM

Summit Racing sells several tuners for the F250 5.4L but why would you buy a "canned" tuner (plus shipping charges) when you can buy a SCT X3 or Livewire with custom tunes that you select? Mike at 5 Star Tuning is running a special this month with free shipping...

Summit Racing:
Computer Programmers - summitracing.com

5 Star Tuning:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...y-savings.html

I purchased my Livewire three weeks ago and was extremely happy with the service and delivery of the product!

bsfarmer 12-22-2008 08:28 PM

I've ran a Superchips on my old Z71 Chevy and will never ever buy another product from them. They are very "generic" tune and really don't have near the benefits of a good custom tune.

I really like my SCT X3 programmer from 5-star. Excellent customer service and Mike is very good to deal with.

bbender85 12-22-2008 10:01 PM

i run the superchips on mine and like it alot. sure it wouldn't be my first pick if i was buying new, but i got it used for next to nothing. i run the performance tune, and it has worked real well with mid-grade gas for me. as said there is definitely a small hp gain; i put it back to stock once this summer and haaated driving it that way. but the trans characteristics are definitely much better.

shorebird 12-23-2008 08:31 AM

You will not gain MPG from a program. You will gain hp for the same MPG. And if I had it to do again I would get the SCT X3 with a custom tune. The Superchips for my 6.8L van was all there was when I got it.

dkf 12-23-2008 09:52 AM

A tuner will make a difference even on 87, mainly in the trans. Don't expect much if any mpg improvement, especially on 87.

For the $$$ the SCT Xcal or the Diablosport Predator are the best bang for the buck with the most adjustability. I prefer SCT over Diablosport but thats my personal preference, I've used and compared both. I feel that SCT offers the best canned tune out there. www.5startuning.com runs specials on tuners and they are a sponsor.

CaMo_FroG 12-23-2008 02:27 PM

I use a Superchips Programmer on my truck, defenitely helped with shift points and power, can say it helped maybe a little with MPG, but your only going to get so much out of these big trucks.

Green Ford 12-23-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by CaMo_FroG (Post 6918775)
I use a Superchips Programmer on my truck, defenitely helped with shift points and power, can say it helped maybe a little with MPG, but your only going to get so much out of these big trucks.

I too had the Super Chips program running in mine and the shift points were the only thing that it adjusted that was really worth anything. The power setting takes super unleaded ( to expensive for the power you got) and the mileage setting did little to nothing. Over all it wasn't worth the money. I did use it to adjust for tire size and new gears but soon ran out of the range that it would adjust for. I ended up using the Super Lift Tru-Speed to set the gearing and tire sizes right.

5 Star Tuning 12-23-2008 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by grandfathersgarage (Post 6915504)
Looking to get a Superchips for my 01 SD CC 4x4 5.4L. Is it worth it? any real gains for power and mpg? primarily looking for mpg gain with some additional power for occasional HD towing, especially WITHOUT stepping up to premium gas!
thanks for any info!
Scott

Scott look into something more custom for power and economy for your truck. SCT's X3's are very flexible down the road as they work on any Ford Vehicle up to 2008 model years. You never know when you will get an itch to upgrade...:) 87 octane can have some good gains in the upper RPMs and like most have said good improvements in the tranny department. Quicker shifs, firmer shifts, better torque converter strategies... ect... email me if you have some questions. We are here to help.

Mike

grandfathersgarage 12-23-2008 09:43 PM

thanks for all the info and input!
I'll have too look into some of teh custom tunes soon!
S