Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Iowa Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum140/)
-   -   Looking for help with Heater Blower and Core (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/802976-looking-for-help-with-heater-blower-and-core.html)

IowaHighBoy 12-18-2008 01:59 PM

Looking for help with Heater Blower and Core

I will take it to a shop if I have too. I have read a few different posts telling different ways to replace these.
Should I try it my self. I just cant understand if I need to pull the blower from under the dash or behind the a/c in the motor compartment???

I have AC..1975 f250 460 and 4x4. I am in CR.

Does anyone know who can do the job right and not cost me my kids christmas?

It sure is cold. I thought about trying the fan/heater that plugs into the cig/lighter. Any experience????

I can't do messages cause I have not posted enough. My work number is three55-7three94 CR area code.

Also, Are Autozone parts good enough?

Looks like a storm tonight.

Josh

fellro86 12-18-2008 06:31 PM

I haven't had to do one on an a/c truck, mine was non air, and the whole dash had to come out. I don't think yours is quite as bad. Come by the 16th ave AZ sometime Saturday before 4 and I can maybe help you figure out how to get it out. If I can, I will get a look at my parts truck to see if I can see how it comes out. I haven't seen too many of our brass heater cores come back, it's the aluminum ones that are regular... I had to replace the O'Reilly's core in my 86 a year after I put it in. I changed it out with a NAPA unit and haven't had to replace it since, that was probably about 3 years ago now.

IowaHighBoy 12-18-2008 10:13 PM

I'll try to get it apart tonight. Just so happens that I picked up the O'Reilly's core on the way home today (it also had the blower, AZ did not). May need to go get the autozone one tomorrow if what you say about them not doing so good is true...

fellro86 12-18-2008 11:41 PM

I may have had bad luck on that one, but if it's a heck of a job, it pays to get a better one the first time. My 86 isn't too bad, just sucks having to do it. I haven't personally used an AZ core yet, but that's more because I haven't needed one. If they crap out on me from AZ though, I wouldn't hesitate to go elsewhere. So far, most of what I have gotten there has worked out ok. Had one power steering pulley be undersized, but otherwise been fine. I was a regular O'Reilly's customer until I got hired at AZ, the discount makes it too tempting... besides, most of the time it is the same brands and suppliers.

IowaHighBoy 12-19-2008 10:04 AM

I spent 6 hours on it last night. I got it all apart except for the squirl cage off the old motor. I need a real long alen wrench.

Do you know Corey at AZ. He is looking to do work out of his garage. Do you recommend him. I may need some help on this to get it all together.

fellro86 12-19-2008 10:19 AM

Yep, I know him. He does a lot of that kind of thing, my shop is too far away to be much help, but his is right near the store. Did he say anything at the store? If so I will have to let him know to be careful about how he does that, as it is against policy for us to solicit work at the store. I only ask so I can warn him to be careful as he can get in a lot of trouble if a job goes sideways and the customer tries to bring AZ into it. (that's why it is against corp. policy) I have no issue with him doing it, and won't get him in trouble, just I don't want things to go bad for him because of a problem like that. He's a heck of a good guy, and will make it right if things don't go right.

IowaHighBoy 12-19-2008 10:24 AM

I actually have never been to that store yet as I live by Blairs ferry AZ. I found him on Craigs List.

He seems like a good guy I may get his help one of these days.

fellro86 12-19-2008 10:30 AM

Ok, good, I don't want anything to go bad that way. He actually hasn't been working for us real long, only a few months now, but was a regular customer for as long as I have been there.

IowaHighBoy 12-22-2008 08:54 AM

Thanks for your help... I got it home and secured up all the wires. It worked good. I put everything back together and it all was dead again.

After taking it all apart again I tested the two power leads we were looking at and neither have power now. Not the original or the one we swithched out. I also did not have power to the control unit.

I think I need a good schematic to track the lines. The fuse panel tested good.

fellro86 12-22-2008 09:59 AM

That would be best. I'll see if I can find time today to look at the manual we have there at the store. It's a Haynes, but wiring diagrams tend to be their better part, tech info not so much...

IowaHighBoy 12-22-2008 10:04 AM

I think I may want to add another fuse panel and switches. I will need to add one for another radio, and to power the heated seats, eventually off road lights and winch etc.
I think I could just and a power off that to the switch on the heater control panel.

Would this work? Are you there around lunch?

Thanks for your help again.

IowaHighBoy 12-22-2008 02:41 PM

I spliced in from another power line some metal 30 amp fuse or relay over by the fuse box. It comes right from the box. Then I spliced it into the brown wire with the male pig tail that looked to be the power line in the connection that pluges into the heater switch.

That worked. It is great.

But...

Now when I turn the car off the fan still runs until I turn the control selector on the heater/ac control panel to off.

That is wierd.

It must be some other bad connections or that 30 amp fuse I tapped into is power all the time???

I'll figure it out over time.

Again, thanks.

fellro86 12-22-2008 10:13 PM

Looks like you tapped into a full live source, need to find one that is only powered when the key ie on.