Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Performance (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/797565-performance.html)

RUBICON 11-30-2008 08:45 AM

Performance

Being That The New F150 Was Awful In The Power And Pulling Section Of The Pickup Truck.com Shootout With The 5.4 Slowest Quartermile,worst Towing And Braking Not Too Good Im Wondering Just How Pathetic The 4.6 Would Be In This Truck . Iam Flaming Ford For This But I Am A Ford Owner 05 F250 Superduty V10 And I Gotta Say It Has Never Impressed Me But Anyway The New Ford Is Not A Impressive Vehicle In Regads To Power And Yes Horsepower Does Matter As Does 1/4 Mile Times And Towing Lets See Thay Gaines 10 Horsepower Since03 On The 5.4 Pathetic Let The Flames Begin

Bsimmer3000 11-30-2008 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by RUBICON (Post 6827009)
Being That The New F150 Was Awful In The Power And Pulling Section Of The Pickup Truck.com Shootout With The 5.4 Slowest Quartermile,worst Towing And Braking Not Too Good Im Wondering Just How Pathetic The 4.6 Would Be In This Truck . Iam Flaming Ford For This But I Am A Ford Owner 05 F250 Superduty V10 And I Gotta Say It Has Never Impressed Me But Anyway The New Ford Is Not A Impressive Vehicle In Regads To Power And Yes Horsepower Does Matter As Does 1/4 Mile Times And Towing Lets See Thay Gaines 10 Horsepower Since03 On The 5.4 Pathetic Let The Flames Begin

There's loads of threads already discussing this. Your a few weeks late. :confused:

Big Bad 11-30-2008 10:19 AM

I actually don't think the 4.6 would do all that much worse (it's down by 18hp and 45lbft) , probably 1-2 tenths slower unloaded and about 3 - 4 tenths loaded.

The 4.6 3V/6R80 combo would actually school it's direct competition (GM 4.8/4R, Toy 4.7/5spd, Chry 4.7/5spd) unlike the 5.4. It also squeaks out an extra mpg and is easier to work on when/if that time comes. Also, with the lower torque output of the 4.6 the 6R80 will be damn near indestructible behind it...way over spec'd.

If I bought a 2wd '09 F150, it would probably have the 4.6 3V and if I bought a 4wd I would get the 5.4.

I really hope Ford comes out with the 360 horse [truck version] 5.0L DOHC soon, as it is said to deliver better fuel economy than the 4.6 3V and have much, much better performance than the 5.4 3V. It could kill two birds with one stone...

Bsimmer3000 11-30-2008 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bad (Post 6827284)
I actually don't think the 4.6 would do all that much worse (it's down by 18hp and 45lbft) , probably 1-2 tenths slower unloaded and about 3 - 4 tenths loaded.

The 4.6 3V/6R80 combo would actually school it's direct competition (GM 4.8/4R, Toy 4.7/5spd, Chry 4.7/5spd) unlike the 5.4. It also squeaks out an extra mpg and is easier to work on when/if that time comes. Also, with the lower torque output of the 4.6 the 6R80 will be damn near indestructible behind it...way over spec'd.

If I bought a 2wd '09 F150, it would probably have the 4.6 3V and if I bought a 4wd I would get the 5.4.

I really hope Ford comes out with the 360 horse [truck version] 5.0L DOHC soon, as it is said to deliver better fuel economy than the 4.6 3V and have much, much better performance than the 5.4 3V. It could kill two birds with one stone...

This is exactly how my thinking went. 2wd 4.6 or 4wd 5.4
I use a 4.7l awd suv to pull my trailer that tops out around 8000lb so i thought if i go for the 5.4 it will have about the same MPG but more power incase i get a bigger trailer or have a truck full of gear and the trailer.
Never had a problem with me suv pulling me trailer so im guessing i def wont have a problem with the f150. Qtr miles times and 0-60's are the least of my worrys.

RoyJ 11-30-2008 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by RUBICON (Post 6827009)

Watch out, a bunch of these guys on here just don't want to admit this truth, and get their panties up in a real tight bunch everytime this is mentioned.

You're absolutely right of course, and this has been discussed all along. As nice as the truck itself is, Ford needs a more competitive engine to compete in this category.

Myself, I'm waiting on the 3.5 Ecoboost.

Bsimmer3000 11-30-2008 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by RoyJ (Post 6827454)
Watch out, a bunch of these guys on here just don't want to admit this truth, and get their panties up in a real tight bunch everytime this is mentioned.

You're absolutely right of course, and this has been discussed all along. As nice as the truck itself is, Ford needs a more competitive engine to compete in this category.

Myself, I'm waiting on the 3.5 Ecoboost.

http://www.trollhunters.org/files/trolls/troll-03.jpg

efx4 11-30-2008 11:29 AM

Most realize the new 5.4 is less powerful than the others, but until Ford changes this, get over it. It is what it is. It seems that a low reving, flat torque curve motor with reasonable fuel econ. is not good enough for some. If you want gobs of horse power, buy another truck. I you want a solid, competent truck with more features than most could ask for, buy Ford. The power threads have been beat to death, lets talk more about something possitive for a change and stop trying to beat a dead horse.:-arrgh

Bsimmer3000 11-30-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by efx4 (Post 6827540)
Most realize the new 5.4 is less powerful than the others, but until Ford changes this, get over it. It is what it is. It seems that a low reving, flat torque curve motor with reasonable fuel econ. is not good enough for some. If you want gobs of horse power, buy another truck. I you want a solid, competent truck with more features than most could ask for, buy Ford. The power threads have been beat to death, lets talk more about something possitive for a change and stop trying to beat a dead horse.:-arrgh

+1

What people dont seem to realise is the 4.6 and 5.4 are going to suit 99% of the buyers. If ya really worried about that extra qtr mile time and 0-60 then wait for the 6.2 or buy a super charger or buy a supercharged tundra. What do they do 0-60 in low 4's or something like that. wouldnt care if it done it in low 1's i wouldnt buy it because its a pile of ****e.

Like efx has said this has been done to death and even though the f150 still comes out on top they just cant ever do anything right.

excaliber551 11-30-2008 11:58 AM

The F150 is only coming out on top here on the FTE. In real world tests it's still severly underpowered and the latest test proves it.
Ford might have the newest gadgets with their anti sway control and such but the newest builds always have the newest and best features.

It's a nice truck but it has its short comings for sure. Why do some of you get so butt hurt when anyone mentions that the F150 lacks big time on power? It is what it is and it's a fact.
It's a solid built truck for sure but let's see how reliable the new tranny is while we wait for some real HP.

For what Ford is asking for these 09's you'd think they had 430 HP and got 30 MPG's.

Big Bad 11-30-2008 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by excaliber551 (Post 6827631)
It's a solid built truck for sure but let's see how reliable the new tranny is while we wait for some real HP.

Considering the 6R family has been out since 06, and the 6R80 is the third member in the family, and problems with the 6R80s in Expis and Navis have been next to nonexistent, I'd say they are going to be pretty darn reliable.

Bsimmer3000 11-30-2008 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by excaliber551 (Post 6827631)
The F150 is only coming out on top here on the FTE. In real world tests it's still severly underpowered and the latest test proves it.
Ford might have the newest gadgets with their anti sway control and such but the newest builds always have the newest and best features.

It's a nice truck but it has its short comings for sure. Why do some of you get so butt hurt when anyone mentions that the F150 lacks big time on power? It is what it is and it's a fact.

For what Ford is asking for these 09's you'd think they had 430 HP and got 30 MPG's.

Well it's tuff luck for them people who want a quicker 0-60 and qtr mile time. I think ford have choose the right plan. Why make big engine trucks when they sell so bad that they almost lose money on them. People seem to cope fine in my area with 4.6's and 5.4's and im sure they will cope just fine with them for the next 4 years. Do people really expect the big 3 to increase the power output each time they bring out another generation?? in 12 years more time will they expect 700bhp when really all you need is 200-350bhp with great MPG.

Have people not been able to tow the same trailers they tow now with half the power they have now 10-15 years ago. I see 20 year old f150's towing bigger trailers than mine and they see to cope just fine and im almost ceratin that he couldnt give a **** how quick he could ull away from that light of if he could beat that car next to him in a qtr mile.

excaliber551 11-30-2008 02:06 PM

Your argument is pointless. Your defense of the poorly designed, underpowered 5.4 is even worse. Every other manufacturer has come out with a better engine on their latest builds. Only Ford hides their HP and TQ numbers all year long only to surprise us with a whopping 10 HP increase.

Ford should have waited till they had a decent engine before they released the new 09.

People can tow just fine with a Ford if that's what they want. The fact is every other manufacturer tows and pulls better and their trucks get the same MPG's while doing it. You keep going back to your comment about people racing trucks off the line.
Is that what you think these other drivers are doing when the F150 gets left in the dust?

Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000 (Post 6828057)
Well it's tuff luck for them people who want a quicker 0-60 and qtr mile time. I think ford have choose the right plan. Why make big engine trucks when they sell so bad that they almost lose money on them. People seem to cope fine in my area with 4.6's and 5.4's and im sure they will cope just fine with them for the next 4 years. Do people really expect the big 3 to increase the power output each time they bring out another generation?? in 12 years more time will they expect 700bhp when really all you need is 200-350bhp with great MPG.

Have people not been able to tow the same trailers they tow now with half the power they have now 10-15 years ago. I see 20 year old f150's towing bigger trailers than mine and they see to cope just fine and im almost ceratin that he couldnt give a **** how quick he could ull away from that light of if he could beat that car next to him in a qtr mile.

Bsimmer3000 11-30-2008 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by excaliber551 (Post 6828076)
Your argument is pointless. Your defense of the poorly designed, underpowered 5.4 is even worse. Every other manufacturer has come out with a better engine on their latest builds. Only Ford hides their HP and TQ numbers all year long only to surprise us with a whopping 10 HP increase.

Ford should have waited till they had a decent engine before they released the new 09.

People can tow just fine with a Ford if that's what they want. The fact is every other manufacturer tows and pulls better and their trucks get the same MPG's while doing it. You keep going back to your comment about people racing trucks off the line.
Is that what you think these other drivers are doing when the F150 gets left in the dust?

Just because someone else has a bigger liter engine it don't mean everyone has to. The 5.4 is as good as any other 5.4 on the market and your point of ford having to have a bigger engine because everyone else has is pointless. People don't want that engine and don't buy that engine in big enough quantity's to make it worth building. Now if ford had a 6.2 out and it was worse than the other bigger liter engines then you would have a great point. But the 5.4 was never designed to compete with engines a liter in size bigger. For a 5.4 liter engine to be able to do as well as it does against the others is a great achievement.

REDFORDFX4 11-30-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000 (Post 6828118)
Just because someone else has a bigger liter engine it don't mean everyone has to. The 5.4 is as good as any other 5.4 on the market and your point of ford having to have a bigger engine because everyone else has is pointless. People don't want that engine and don't buy that engine in big enough quantity's to make it worth building. Now if ford had a 6.2 out and it was worse than the other bigger liter engines then you would have a great point. But the 5.4 was never designed to compete with engines a liter in size bigger. For a 5.4 liter engine to be able to do as well as it does against the others is a great achievement.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tseekins 11-30-2008 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by excaliber551 (Post 6828076)

Is there so little to talk about that we have to go back to this again? 0-60 times in a truck are as rediculous as comparing the cornering abilities of a 4x4 and mustang. Does the Ford have less HP / TQ? Yes. The numbers have been posted on this very site detailing the abilities of the main 4 full size trucks. The Ford out pulls and out tows all of them. It's slower in the 0-60 by a second. Big whoop.

Tim