Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   opinions on removing marker on junk yard find (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/797418-opinions-on-removing-marker-on-junk-yard-find.html)

X36 11-29-2008 05:20 PM

opinions on removing marker on junk yard find

Hi all.I figured I'd try here before the the autobody section whichs kinda sloooow.I found a real nice hood at a local yard which happens to be the same color as my truck :).The problem is that when the junk yard inventoried the trk they wrote 3 times on the hood inv #'s and "Motor Good".In that heavy yll marker they use.Any ideas on getting it off Hoods blue).Without ruining the paint.The #'s and letters will likely ghost into the paint or not ???
Thanks

Bullitt390 11-29-2008 05:30 PM

Lighter fluid

DPorter 11-29-2008 07:18 PM

oven cleaner. Used this to remove hand painted lettering off my trucks. No harm to the original paint.

Bullitt390 11-29-2008 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by DPorter (Post 6825551)
oven cleaner. Used this to remove hand painted lettering off my trucks. No harm to the original paint.

No friggin' way anyone should use Oven Cleaner to remove a marker on paint! You can use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the ANODIZING on the grille shell, but not on Paint!

Lighter fluid, nuff said.

Josh

DPorter 11-29-2008 09:50 PM

Bullitt390 when did you use oven cleaner to remove anything?

Easy Off oven cleaner to remove acrylic paint on lettering works very well and did NO damage to the finish.

Know what you speak of before being so certain.

This trick was given to me by the sign painter. Very effective.
It took about one hour to clean both sides of the truck, doors and box.

Now I don't know if it would remove the marker used here but it can not hurt to try.

Bgasrickshaw 11-29-2008 11:37 PM

I always use Easy Off oven cleaner to degrease engines and other greasy parts, (way cheaper than "Gunk",) so I just assumed it would eat paint ( it does sometimes take paint off the valve covers, etc, but maybe that's because it's old, oil impregnated paint?) I never actually tried putting it on a paint job

dakonthemountain 11-30-2008 01:59 AM

How about WD40?.. It seems to clean everything!

armstrongfordtrucks 11-30-2008 07:46 AM

I usually use lacquer thinner for cleaning everything off the old paint. When my truck was shipped in from S.D. the paint was ugly, tried everything to clean it with no luck, then used lacquer thinner,washed it with hot soapy water, then mothers clay bar, good coat of wax and it looks great for 33 year old paint. It will remove some of the paint.

crazyredneckanyhow 11-30-2008 01:15 PM

Get some compoud adn a buffer wound be the best way. And when i mean a buffer im not talkin that trash from walmart that orbits. Im talkin a good buffer that looks like a 7" grinder. Plus do the whole hood and itll bring back the luster of the paint. How do i know this? 1 st place in county and state autobody collision repair and 18th out of 100 in the nation in 2005.

X36 11-30-2008 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the great help.I thought I might be screwed,BUT now I think I can turn it around
Regards X36

masterbeavis 11-30-2008 06:25 PM

I am not a paint and body guy, but I do know a few things about removing stuff that doesn't belong from surfaces that need to be preserved. I am a firm believer in starting with the least obtrusive method and work my way up to the nasty stuff. Laquer thinner is the last resort on the list of things I use that works. I wash first, then commercial degreaser, "Awesome", "Simple Green", "Goof Off NUMBER TWO" (water based), grafiti remover etc etc. Next is buffing compound with a clean soft cloth. IF I use lacquer thinner, I make sure to never linger with it, nor scrub too much. It will soften your paint, and if you disturb it while its softened, you will remove it. I like the 7" buffer for large buffing jobs of heavily messed up paint jobs, however I do not like the swirl marks that it leaves. The chances of ruining a paint job by an un-trained novice is very good. The POS 5" buffers you buy from Wal-mart are slow, and suck, but with patience and the right technique, they do get the job done, without swirl marks.

Edit, you would be AMAZED at what Mr. Clean "magic" sponges will clean(especially inside the house). It is important to test them on an inconspicuous surface first, they will dull some finishes. I use the sponge to avoid 80% of the paint touch up I normally would have to do inside of a house.

OrangeJuice 11-30-2008 06:48 PM

I would try some mineral spirits. It works good at removing gunk on the paint without harming it. If that doesn't work try some Dissolve It cleaner.

:-drink

crazyredneckanyhow 11-30-2008 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by masterbeavis (Post 6828976)
The chances of ruining a paint job by an un-trained novice is very good.

True i never took that into consideration. Not hard to burn through paint if your not careful.

1968customcab 11-30-2008 08:47 PM

On a hood that has been sitting out in the sun and is that old, you are most likely gonna remove some clear(if any still exists) or some paint. But goo gone and cleaner wax work very well at removing all kinds of markings and normally will not damage the paint. Just my 2 cents.