Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Economy & truck prices OT (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/795150-economy-and-truck-prices-ot.html)

jmadsen 11-21-2008 10:06 PM

Economy & truck prices OT

So this is kind of OT but does apply to ford trucks and any other parts or restorable vehicles. I have noticed a few more 48-52 and 53-56 trucks around as of late (plus a few other items) I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the economy or layoffs etc but just curoius if others have noticed anything similar in your area?
I hope all of us are doing good and it stays that way! But I just saw a 49 f1 for $400 and a 48-49 for $500 plus a few others. not to mention shops closing down and liquidating thier tools etc. may be a good time to find deals on shop tools and parts trucks etc if you have anything extra in the bank; but I fear we havent even seen the worst of it yet.
I know I may be missing a couple of my coworkers here shortly if something doesnt change for the better soon, but it doesn't look very promising.
:-blahsorry, I dont mean to be a downer just my thoughts on the matter tonight.

Josh

havi 11-21-2008 10:25 PM

I have no money....they cut off all OT, and I would suspect the 3rd shift will be gone at the end of the year, so yer not alone. But I still lurk the local craigslist, and ebay. And yes, it seems most everyone is trying to dump their projects/scrap/yard art to anyone willing to buy, just to get some extra $$$.

AXracer 11-22-2008 11:30 AM

Desperate measures in desperate times I'm afraid. If you have money, I'd suggest taking it out of the market, IRAs etc and sewing it into the mattress. The roads are going to get even bumpier before they get better. Those that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it. :(

ALBUQ F-1 11-22-2008 12:59 PM

The best deals I've seen are not on low-end stuff, but cars/trucks that would have been totally out of my consideration a year or two ago. For instance, I've been thinking of an early-50's sedan, not a project but a complete, original (or nearly so), already done and preferably never rusted to begin with. There are beautiful Cadillacs, Olds, even a Packard or two, going in the teens that would have been double that a year ago. For the price of a sheetbox Hyundai you can own a true classic that will become ever more valuable, and drive it in the meantime. But you need some real money to get in...

Aussie 53 11-22-2008 04:43 PM

We are in a world recession here people, did you see the price oil per barrel these days. Our fuel dropped down in price .30cents a litre in one week. Things are tuff all over the place especially you guys in the states. With a newly elected president who probably will not deliver what he promised because of the worlds economy is in shatters, there will be certain members of your country who will be let down and felt they where lied to. I am guessing that there could be some high tension among these people. In deperate times people do desperate things to survive. So lock up your worldly possession and be careful. It's just something to think about guys!
Paul

WALFORD'S 56 11-22-2008 05:58 PM

I agree!! Prices have dropped and have seen a few trucks sell cheaper than ever thought till now.
I have lost quite a bit in my portfolio and do not want to lose much more. I told the wife I should have invested in more trucks......ah crap!!!
Bill

jaye 11-22-2008 06:36 PM

I'm with you... I plan on retiring from the army next year and am scared of what the world may hold I still have a Family to provide for. Kinda make me reconsider staying a few more years but I don't think so.

ALBUQ F-1 11-22-2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie 53 (Post 6799559)
We are in a world recession here people, did you see the price oil per barrel these days. Our fuel dropped down in price .30cents a litre in one week. Things are tuff all over the place especially you guys in the states. With a newly elected president who probably will not deliver what he promised because of the worlds economy is in shatters, there will be certain members of your country who will be let down and felt they where lied to. I am guessing that there could be some high tension among these people. In deperate times people do desperate things to survive. So lock up your worldly possession and be careful. It's just something to think about guys!
Paul

I don't know if they've given it press coverage down there, but gun sales are off the charts up here. Ammo prices are up and lots of stores are sold out...

jmadsen 11-22-2008 10:07 PM

Yes, Guns and Ammo Sales are way up! Possibly yet another potential area to have good deals in the near future on used guns when people need cash? we may see some of them being sold off? I only wish I had a larger stockpile of Ammo myself, hmmm :)

havi 08-06-2011 08:49 PM

I remembered this thread from a ways back, and re-read my post. 3rd shift was indeed let go. Some of those 3rd shifters are still unemployed. :( The rest of us were 4 days a week, and then down to 2 weeks a month which lasted about a year. During that time, I scrounged to make the mortgage payment, and did what I could to pay the other bills....most of it using a credit card in hopes things turned around quickly. Well, this year has been good, and OT has returned. Along the way, I bought a couple things that I shouldn't have, but I've maintained focus. So I was able to finally pay off the card this week, and can get back to the F1 again. Despite the market this week, things are looking good at work, so hopefully I can get moving forward before the snow flies (next month :eek: )

Anyway, it's taken over 2.5 years to crawl, claw and scratch to get back out of the hole. Hopefully everyone else is back on track as well.

ibuzzard 08-06-2011 09:17 PM

Gee, Scott, only another month till snow?Seems you only just let us know you were finally thawed out!

havi 08-06-2011 09:19 PM

The way this year's been going, I wouldn't put it past Mother Nature to dump two feet on us come Labor day.

Nice neologism BTW. :D

ibuzzard 08-06-2011 09:35 PM

Well,not to rub it in too much, but I'm really just barely into my summer projects:the fence is removed, he yard all torn up and leveling it out for raised-bed gardens.

But first, getting ready to have 2 redwood stumps ground out, will have to re-do the water line(goes through one stump), will need to re-pour a section of the parking area that the redwood lifted, plus re-build the fence.Rains will be here in late October.

havi 08-07-2011 07:04 PM

Steve, I'm just getting into my Summer projects too. It's been above 80F quite a bit lately, and that's too hot for my Scandinavian skin. :D