Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   Any shops with success in dealing with F250 "death wobble"? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/792989-any-shops-with-success-in-dealing-with-f250-death-wobble.html)

FireControlman 11-14-2008 06:12 PM

Any shops with success in dealing with F250 "death wobble"?

Looking for a shop that has had success in rectifying the "death wobble" in the 05-07 F250's.

I've tried a few things over a year ago and it had no effect, as a matter of fact it got worse so my 06 F250 PSD CC with less than 15K miles has been parked for all of 2008. How embarrassing is that?

I'm active-duty and have been too busy to deal with it and just flat out gave up and started driving my wife's Acura TSX. I'm stationed in San Diego and my truck is parked up in West Covina. My truck has spiderwebs crawling up the tires! :-banghead:-banghead

Anhow, I've taken a few weeks of leave and I'm going to get it to the same shop if I can that lifted it. I'm just hoping that if they can't fix it there is other shops in so cal that have had success.

Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules but here is my email if you can give me some guidance:

naguroo@yahoo.com

SpringerPop 11-14-2008 06:29 PM

How far is it lifted?

That tends to throw the steering geometry out of whack, but it CAN be fixed.

Pop

FireControlman 11-14-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SpringerPop (Post 6769432)
How far is it lifted?

That tends to throw the steering geometry out of whack, but it CAN be fixed.

Pop

Fabtech 8" radius arm lift, 38.5's, 20" rims, and a gold tooth/baggy pants :-missingt

Had the kit installed just under 300 miles. Everything seemed ok at first, but gradually the shaking got worse at freeway speeds above 60 mph. You know the rest from all the threads here on the "death wobble".

Serg450 11-14-2008 08:38 PM

I had a 6" Pro Comp lift put on with 315/70R/16
Let me say one thing, I'm not real good about rotating tires. So what I noticed is that Having my tires re-balanced took the wobble away. It happened to both sets of tires I have put on my truck. Just an idea.

But If you would like call OFF ROAD UNLIMITED in Burbank. They have been in around over 30 years.

bpounds 11-14-2008 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by FireControlman (Post 6769526)
Fabtech 8" radius arm lift, 38.5's, 20" rims, and a gold tooth/baggy pants :-missingt

Had the kit installed just under 300 miles. Everything seemed ok at first, but gradually the shaking got worse at freeway speeds above 60 mph. You know the rest from all the threads here on the "death wobble".

What do you have for steering dampeners? You need plenty of damp for those tires. I predict the shop will advise you to double up on the dampening, unless you already have a lot. But I think you are doing the right thing taking it to a pro.

Col Flashman 11-14-2008 10:12 PM

Alex Romo Auto Shop on Huntingdon in Monrovia will be able to fix her for you.

FireControlman 11-15-2008 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Col Flashman (Post 6770558)
Alex Romo Auto Shop on Huntingdon in Monrovia will be able to fix her for you.

Thanks for the suggestion.

FireControlman 11-15-2008 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Serg450 (Post 6770030)
I had a 6" Pro Comp lift put on with 315/70R/16
Let me say one thing, I'm not real good about rotating tires. So what I noticed is that Having my tires re-balanced took the wobble away. It happened to both sets of tires I have put on my truck. Just an idea.

But If you would like call OFF ROAD UNLIMITED in Burbank. They have been in around over 30 years.

Is it the truck pictured there in your sig line? The set up for new trucks is different from the effected 05-07 trucks I believe. I don't participate much in these forums but do a google search on "F250 death wobble". I spent hours yesterday reading all the updates on this issue and I'm glad to see that there is finally legal action beginning against Ford. After reading all the posts over the internet, I was sick to my stomach.

Serg450 11-16-2008 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by FireControlman (Post 6771772)
Is it the truck pictured there in your sig line? The set up for new trucks is different from the effected 05-07 trucks I believe. I don't participate much in these forums but do a google search on "F250 death wobble". I spent hours yesterday reading all the updates on this issue and I'm glad to see that there is finally legal action beginning against Ford. After reading all the posts over the internet, I was sick to my stomach.

No the truck in my sig is my nre F-450.

I was talking about my 2000 F-350

SteveBricks 11-16-2008 01:09 PM

Tire pressure can have a lot to do with it as well. If you are running your fronts at max pressure, you may want to drop 5psi or so and see if that makes any difference.

FireControlman 06-05-2010 02:54 PM

Looking for any other so cal folks who may have dealt with or are currently dealing with the death wobble. I tried a few band-aid fixes and reduced the effects for a little while but it's back.

Anyone else with the problem?

SteveBricks 06-05-2010 03:00 PM

Just out of curiosity, and so nobody suggests things you have already done, what have you tried so far?

FireControlman 06-05-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by SteveBricks (Post 8968488)
Just out of curiosity, and so nobody suggests things you have already done, what have you tried so far?

Tire air pressure adjusted - joke
Alignment twice, with stock and off-road tires- rolling my eyes
dual steering stabilizer installed - joke

I've read the death wobble recent threads with good replies here today and I was just wondering if there were any local guys who share my pain.

I will more than likely try out the WC Motorsport fix next, followed by new shocks and caster adjustment.

I am almost sick of having people mention a TSB or how they inflated their tires properly and it went away. Give me break will ya. Some of us have it like the guy in the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EuQ6f8rgT4

SteveBricks 06-05-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by FireControlman (Post 8968500)
Tire air pressure adjusted - joke
Alignment twice, with stock and off-road tires- rolling my eyes
dual steering stabilizer installed - joke

I am almost sick of having people mention a TSB or how they inflated their tires properly and it went away. Give me break will ya.

I know how you feel. I get sick of people who berate the suggestions of others who are only trying to help them. If only they understood that they're not entitled to answers....

Good luck.

FireControlman 06-05-2010 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SteveBricks (Post 8968548)
I know how you feel. I get sick of people who berate the suggestions of others who are only trying to help them. If only they understood that they're not entitled to answers....

Good luck.

Forgive the negativity in my reply to your post, I spent nearly all morning since I woke up reading updates online about the "death wobble" and my blood pressure was already at danger levels from all the reading. It has nothing to do with you and all to do with the frustration I have experienced.

This site has saved my butt when I was stranded driving across the country. A laptop, an aircard, and ford-trucks.com saved the day, literally. After I found this board out of desperation several years ago and now visit this place and view it as a solid resource. So today I saw the "supporter" logo and thought to myself why the heck am I not supporting this site?

I welcome any and all advise, support, and guidance I can benefit from on this site. Even the advice that suggests I should follow the TSB. :-duel1