Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   What would you like to See on the New F100? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/791862-what-would-you-like-to-see-on-the-new-f100.html)

devja71 02-21-2009 09:04 PM

a plug-in ev truck truck with a small generator and straight axles would be cheaper to produce. and it wouldn't cost more to put some styling and flowing lines into it.

The_Model_Garage 02-22-2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Lewis (Post 6756978)
A Pushrod V8 Would be nice
Hay i'm old school !!

Nothing wrong with being old school. At 63, I am, too and getting more so everyday!!.
With all the retro-cars around these days, I sure wouldn't be opposed to Ford going back and taking a long look at the '48-50 or the '53-56 Ford F-100s and do a styling work-up from there for a new F-100.. Simple but very usable ideas lurk under the metal of the older Ford trucks.
You mentioned push-rod motors...I would like to see Ford bring back the 300 cu. in. inline 6 and give several mod packages to go mild or wild.

dixiecowboy1978 02-22-2009 07:04 PM

sheesh. id like to see the bronco come out . but at least theyre coming out with the f-100. id like to see it about the size ot the d**ge da**ta. i do think they should at least follow in the broncos footsteps of being 4wd. i think they should have the 5.4 335 like all of the f-150's do

cmorningstar01 02-22-2009 07:21 PM

I think in todays economy a basic truck with a 6ft bed and 8ft bed option, 1/4 to 1/2 ton rating, bench seat, no frills basic interior with am/fm radio. 15 inch steel wheels, leaf spring rear suspension with twin I beam front suspension, power steering as an option, basic no frills powerplant(basic gas or small deisel) with just enough power to get the job done, 5 speed stick standard with an auto as an option and priced between $12-$16K, Basically a truck much like a 65 F-100 I had, Basic and utilitarian in nature with a spartan appearance, It could be built on the current F-150 platform with a bit of downgrading, The bed would need to maintain the 4 foot width between the wheel wells and with the 6 ft bed the length from back of cab to end of open tailgate would equal 8 ft, The 8 ft bed would need to accomodate 4 x 8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock/etc. The problem with Ford trucks(and other manufacturers) is that they are building them like cars and not like trucks like they are supposed to be, I purchased new ford trucks in 67,76,78,80 and 96 and the 96 cost more than my first house so that was the end of new ford trucks for me,I think ford would do well with a basic full sized truck, no frills, rubber floor mats no carpet, more metal than plastic and composites, built on a full frame .
I know there are many who want more in a truck and thats fine but I think the market for a basic work truck is there and sales would do well.

Val

Red Ford Truck 02-22-2009 07:33 PM

I think a lot of people agree with you, I know I do.

Originally Posted by cmorningstar01 (Post 7175878)
I think in todays economy a basic truck with a 6ft bed and 8ft bed option, 1/4 to 1/2 ton rating, bench seat, no frills basic interior with am/fm radio. 15 inch steel wheels, leaf spring rear suspension with twin I beam front suspension, power steering as an option, basic no frills powerplant(basic gas or small deisel) with just enough power to get the job done, 5 speed stick standard with an auto as an option and priced between $12-$16K, Basically a truck much like a 65 F-100 I had, Basic and utilitarian in nature with a spartan appearance, It could be built on the current F-150 platform with a bit of downgrading, The bed would need to maintain the 4 foot width between the wheel wells and with the 6 ft bed the length from back of cab to end of open tailgate would equal 8 ft, The 8 ft bed would need to accomodate 4 x 8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock/etc. The problem with Ford trucks(and other manufacturers) is that they are building them like cars and not like trucks like they are supposed to be, I purchased new ford trucks in 67,76,78,80 and 96 and the 96 cost more than my first house so that was the end of new ford trucks for me,I think ford would do well with a basic full sized truck, no frills, rubber floor mats no carpet, more metal than plastic and composites, built on a full frame .
I know there are many who want more in a truck and thats fine but I think the market for a basic work truck is there and sales would do well.

Val

Sadly the big shots that run Ford and all the other American auto manufacturers are so far removed from the average Joe or Jane that they stand little chance of getting it right.

I think it comes down to they are only focused on how much money they can make per car or truck and have lost sight of trying to just build autos folks like and want buy.

Ask yourself this question when is the last time the head of Ford or GM or Chrysler has driven one of their lower end autos?
Anyone think Bill Ford has driven a Ranger or a Focus? I doubt it, so my guess is he has no feel for the common person and their ride of choice.

Rick.

04ranger 02-26-2009 09:54 AM

Anybody know what website had pics of the new 2011 1nd 2012 ranger?

fonefiddy 02-26-2009 11:07 AM

My Ideal Truck would be:

4000lbs MAX Curb Weight +- options, 250Hp Direct injected V6, Reg Cab, Scab option With 6.5'-8' box. Payload in the 1500lb range, around 7500 towing. 6 speed auto & 6Speed man.
NO CREW CAB, If You want a commuter truck, Buy a 6500 lb F150!

It's gotta have simple, comfortable seating, CC,PW,PL,PM,AC available.
A couple of usefull guages.
Go back to 16" wheels, there's absolutely no need for anything larger.
Box rails low enough to reach over, while standing on the ground. So We won't need no stinking tailgate steps/side box steps just to use the box.

Jason Lewis 02-26-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by fonefiddy (Post 7192919)
My Ideal Truck would be:

4000lbs MAX Curb Weight +- options, 250Hp Direct injected V6, Reg Cab, Scab option With 6.5'-8' box. Payload in the 1500lb range, around 7500 towing. 6 speed auto & 6Speed man.
NO CREW CAB, If You want a commuter truck, Buy a 6500 lb F150!

It's gotta have simple, comfortable seating, CC,PW,PL,PM,AC available.
A couple of usefull guages.
Go back to 16" wheels, there's absolutely no need for anything larger.
Box rails low enough to reach over, while standing on the ground. So We won't need no stinking tailgate steps/side box steps just to use the box.

What he Said !!!!! :-X22

tempforce 03-04-2009 12:24 AM

3500 curb weight, able to touch the bed floor while standing flat footed on the ground.
4-6-8 cyl engines. with diesel-electric hybrid option.
5-6 speed standard and auto transmissions.
sized like the ranger or just a bit larger.
body like the 54 f-100.
full frame chassis, wood bed floor option.
2 and 4 wheel drive.
bench or bucket seat options

bigunred 03-05-2009 01:18 AM

NO frills stripped down afordable real four wheel drive with a low range worth talkin about
auto or manual with 5 speeds, and some metal that doesnt crumple if your kid leans on the side of the truck.

devja71 03-07-2009 02:09 AM

like the idea of a small but torquey and GROWLY-SOUNDING V8 (early bronco w/a 289) i wished ford could pen a deal with yamaha again and get the sho V8 happening in the new pickup. if it's gotta burn filthy old mideast-oil based gasoline then at least do it right. also, put in much desert-racing ideas into the new chassis. i still like my straight axle 4x4, but if it must be wishbone, then make the a-arms long, good coilovers, outboard (cable operated) hubs, 4-link rear (why not?) and pls don't forget the graceful flowing lines vintage fords where so good at

Old Rust Bucket 03-30-2009 06:49 PM

I would like to see them bring back an I-6 engine.
Is there any need for an X cab or Crew cab? The Sport Trac already fills that slot.

An Off road package would be nice (obviuosly with 4X4) Bring back the step side box. Would also be nice to see trim levels return instead of one trim fits all. Where as right now trim levels exist only in name. And two tone paint would be a nice thing to see return.

ETA: Is Ford actualy going to bring forth a new model or are they just going to stick F-100 badges on something they already have (Like GM did with the new GTO or Case IH and the new Farmalls.)

tempforce 04-06-2009 10:38 AM

260 v-8

i had a 260 v-8 that was a nice small v-8. good mileage and power. not great but was perfect for what it was designed for.
the 300 straight six had more torque. but the sound of that small v-8 was sweet.

rambuck 04-06-2009 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Old Rust Bucket (Post 7326608)
I would like to see them bring back an I-6 engine.
Is there any need for an X cab or Crew cab? The Sport Trac already fills that slot.

An Off road package would be nice (obviuosly with 4X4) Bring back the step side box. Would also be nice to see trim levels return instead of one trim fits all. Where as right now trim levels exist only in name. And two tone paint would be a nice thing to see return.

ETA: Is Ford actualy going to bring forth a new model or are they just going to stick F-100 badges on something they already have (Like GM did with the new GTO or Case IH and the new Farmalls.)

Well, an I-6 would be nice, but most consider them obsolete, but I agree with you.

As for the Sport Trac, I love them but not a midsized, imo. More of competition against the Avalanche and Ridgeline than the Dakota or Tacoma. Plus I have heard rumors of the Sport Tracs demise.

One more thing, don't they make Flare-sides still?

snipAR-15 04-10-2009 03:00 PM

diesel, preferably an inline 4 or 6 capable of 35mpg.

Brandon1986 04-13-2009 08:04 AM

I think yall are on the right track with the basic utilitarian concept. A light duty full size pickup low to the ground 6' box good old fashoned efi pushrod 300 or 4b cummins (if only dodge didnt hold the contract with cummins) or more practicaly the little v6 diesel they are talking about puting in the 2010 f150. 6 speed manual being an option cloth seats vinal floor. Basicly a truck with the same work capacity as the ranger in a full size pickup. I owned one ranger recently and sold it a week later because I decided I didnt want to own a pickup that I could reach over and roll down the passenger window without leaning over. That experiance tainted my views on the compact pickup. So something with that kind of effecincy without dealing with the midget cab would be great.

Argo 04-14-2009 02:08 PM

Definitely a 4BT Cummins tuned for 150-160 HP/300-320 ft.lbs. Also a small bore/long stroke inline six gas engine in the same power range. Oh, and how about an engine compartment with enough room that if you need to change the engine you DON'T HAVE TO PULL OFF THE DAMN CAB!! Of course, you might never need to pull an engine with either of those two engines listed above. How about a good solid manual 5 or 6 speed and a bulletproof and reliable 4 speed automatic? Maybe a solid front axle with manual hubs on 4x4 models? 15 inch wheels with load range C tires, LT235-75-R15 for 2wd and 31x10.5-R15 for 4x4s. Plenty of capacity for a half ton without the expense of load range D or E tires that have more capacity than the truck. Oh, and no option for heated seats, dual zone climate control, leather, DVD players, etc. Keep it utilitarian, baby! Offer some factory installed work options too. Dodge had a good idea with it's "cabinet truck" bed that looks like a regular pickup bed. Ford should steal that idea for all it's trucks, not just the F-100. How about an optional bed mounted lifting crane? Or an option for factory applied spray on bedliners? Build it so Consumer Reports only likes it's utility and durability, Motor Trend hates it, and 4 Wheel and Off road loves it, and it will be a success.

BURNSTOUGHFORD 04-17-2009 01:39 AM

doesnt ford own the rights to cummins.....i believe they do

BURNSTOUGHFORD 04-17-2009 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 7385796)
Oh, and how about an engine compartment with enough room that if you need to change the engine you DON'T HAVE TO PULL OFF THE DAMN CAB!!

What ford are you referring to?... I hope no the 97-03, because that rumor is complete bull****. It comes out easily, with out a single issue. (I know personally ) If your not referring to this case then im sorry, but i dont know what you are talking about.

Argo 04-17-2009 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD (Post 7396817)
What ford are you referring to?... I hope no the 97-03, because that rumor is complete bull****. It comes out easily, with out a single issue. (I know personally ) If your not referring to this case then im sorry, but i dont know what you are talking about.

I am referring to the current generation of F-150s (the ones with snap off spark plugs). I have a 2002 F-150 in my shop that needed some engine work and although it wasn't as easy as my 1996 F-150, it wasn't too hard to do (needed to pull the cylinder heads due to sticky valve guides). The 97-03 trucks are OK. My only beef with them is that they replaced my beloved 1996 and earlier boxy F-150s.

Argo 04-17-2009 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD (Post 7396813)
doesnt ford own the rights to cummins.....i believe they do

Cummins supplies engines to GM and ford for medium and heavy GVW applications, so I can't see why it would be a problem. Dodge currently has a contract with Cummins for engines in their trucks, but I can't see any reason why Cummins couldn't provide engines to Ford for pickups, unless the Dodge/Cummins contract specifically forbids it.

Argo 04-17-2009 08:45 PM

Ooh! Ooh! I know what else I want! Vent Windows!

76f350spercamprspeal 04-17-2009 09:27 PM

I know what I would like to see!
73-79 Styling!

Konarain 04-18-2009 11:07 PM

Ford Engine

:)Some one gave me a 2002 F250 5.4 "work" truck, normally maintained in a very dusty environment, 122,000 miles and all it need was plugs! Costing me $0.20 a mile over here on the West Coast of Island. Good Engine. Yeah? The plugs came out easily, if I could reach 'em.

70torino429 04-21-2009 11:00 AM

hmmm inline six needs to come back, go to something closer to the late 70s styling. 302 and 351 windsor engines available as well. with todays technology it cant be that hard to get decent mpgs out of those engines.

76f350spercamprspeal 04-21-2009 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by 70torino429 (Post 7411782)
hmmm inline six needs to come back, go to something closer to the late 70s styling. 302 and 351 windsor engines available as well. with todays technology it cant be that hard to get decent mpgs out of those engines.

Agreed!
73-79 Styling all the way!:-headbang

natehanson_04 04-24-2009 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by enduro4231 (Post 6759803)
A Cummins 4BT and solid axles.

Im with this guy, with lockers, like a jeep rubicon.
:-headbang

Evan99 05-01-2009 03:41 PM

a cummins would be great in a ford

BURNSTOUGHFORD 05-05-2009 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 7399656)
Ooh! Ooh! I know what else I want! Vent Windows!

Much agreed.

snipAR-15 05-06-2009 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD (Post 7469809)
Much agreed.

I respectfully disagree. Went windows are just an easy way to break into a vehicle...

76f350spercamprspeal 05-06-2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by snipAR-15 (Post 7469842)
I respectfully disagree. Went windows are just an easy way to break into a vehicle...

True...
(My truck has "Vent/Wing Windows")
But think of it this way,if they are gonna steal your truck,why would they care,they would just break one of the side windows and say its rolled down.
Then they could always just go in through the back window.:eek::rolleyes:

snipAR-15 05-06-2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal (Post 7472343)
True...
(My truck has "Vent/Wing Windows")
But think of it this way,if they are gonna steal your truck,why would they care,they would just break one of the side windows and say its rolled down.
Then they could always just go in through the back window.:eek::rolleyes:

what if the are too fatto fit through the back winder?:-X05

nflfreak43 05-06-2009 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by snipAR-15 (Post 7469842)

any window is an easy way to break into a vehicle. im pretty sure i wont take the time to break out the smallest piece of glass to break into a vehicle. why? cause it aint mine. so what thief would care? thats why any old truck or car with vent windows that are broke into chances are is they broke out a window other than the vent window.

Argo 05-06-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by nflfreak43 (Post 7472478)
any window is an easy way to break into a vehicle. im pretty sure i wont take the time to break out the smallest piece of glass to break into a vehicle. why? cause it aint mine. so what thief would care? thats why any old truck or car with vent windows that are broke into chances are is they broke out a window other than the vent window.

True enough. When I was "blessed" (sacrcasm intended) :-X18 to work and live in the city, my truck got broken into twice. Both times I had to replace the driver's side window. The vent window is still original, though. Thankfully I live in a rural area and can leave the keys in the ignition now (not that I do, but I could if I wanted to). :D

CGiron 12-31-2009 03:56 AM

A light-duty 4.4-liter V-8 diesel is coming!

Originally Posted by Ranger1F150 (Post 6779780)
Diesel ! If ford really makes the 4.4L or whatever size diesel they are making for the F150 I think it should make it into the F100.

They will start production of the long awaited 4.4-litre V8 diesel in the middle of the next summer. Export to LandRover but in small numbers from 20-40.000 annual engeines. To make some profit they have to have higher productionrates. It would be a homerun in the F-100, and the F-150

Ford Ready to Start 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 Diesel Production - PickupTrucks.com News

"A light-duty 4.4-liter V-8 diesel that was going to be available for the Ford F-150 but has since been shelved will be built there starting next summer for export to Europe for use in Land Rover’s SUVs."

TexasGuy001 12-31-2009 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD (Post 6752201)
Figured this could be fun. If ford came out with a F-100 what would you want to see on it? What options would mean more to you. Obviously we all want 1000hp and 100mpg but more realistically.

I think a truck like this could sell well in the states due to the fact that the market is soft right now and most people might be looking for a cheaper more fuel efficient option from ford.

Thanks

Honestly, I could care less how much hp it had. If it had 275 that would be fine with me. They do need to improve on fuel economy. There is no reason they can't get more than the do.

My 95 gets almost as good fuel economy as the newer trucks and better in some cases.

I think it would be cool if the made it about the same size as the Dakota or the older F150s and styled it after the 92-96 F150 body style and included vent windows.

I don't care about the tall stance and high bedsides of the new trucks. To me thats useless.

In my opinion, my 95 is easier to load stuff in and out of the bed, its easier to access the bed from the sides, and its easier to park.

If a new truck was more like this I might consider buying one at some point.

If they would re-release a 92-96 F150 that was badged as a brand new F100 I would buy one.

nflfreak43 12-31-2009 04:33 PM

and also the high stance and high cab makes it more air resistant. if i have a brick thats 4 inches tall and 5 inches wide. compared to a brick thats 5 in. tall and 6 wide. the 4x5 brick will be much quicker and probably better Gas mileage in a trucks case. cause less air resistance and less weight.

truckerboy 01-02-2010 04:22 AM

Get rid of all the cmputers, put a 300 in it and a c-6 or three speed manual. Just like the older ones. (wishful thinking)

76f350spercamprspeal 01-02-2010 11:04 AM

truckerboy, or just get a '73-'79

RAF150 01-18-2010 09:42 PM

5.4 V8?? haha