Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   What would you like to See on the New F100? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/791862-what-would-you-like-to-see-on-the-new-f100.html)

Jason Lewis 01-28-2009 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by justiz00 (Post 7070597)
3 on tree column shift, for nostalgic sake.

Yes :-X22

Can you even get a 5 Speed Any more?

tseekins 01-29-2009 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by justiz00 (Post 7070597)
3 on tree column shift, for nostalgic sake.

That's what I learned to drive. I wonder how many youngsters would be perplexed over this set-up.

Tim

justiz00 01-29-2009 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 7071902)
That's what I learned to drive. I wonder how many youngsters would be perplexed over this set-up.

Tim

They would wonder what the 3rd pedal was for and why does it grind when I try and take it out of park.

dkf 01-29-2009 08:05 AM

My first vehcle had a 4 on the floor with granny for first. About 10 feet of shifter travel from 1st to reverse.:) Love banging gears.

devja71 01-29-2009 11:24 AM

..ahem, i hope i don't start all sorts of trouble here, but i would like to see a plug-in electric powertrain. hear me out. a simple 250-300hp or so electric motor with some kind of cvt behind it to a common 2spd transfer case and d44 (or equivilent sterling) full floater high pinion straight axles. that and an onboard generator- a flex fuel small engine not even hooked to the driveline. and have it so we can just manually start and kill the engine when we want. and the batteries mounted in the front of the bed out of the way as possible. (i had that idea in my head before i saw the chevy volt). say if the electric only had mabey a 30-40 mile range, plug it in 110v all night drive the first 30m, start the gen to sustain it and (depending on how charged) shut the gen off and coast the last 30m before getting home. in cold weather run the generator for the heater etc) the generator would have to have some quick recovery tho. make it all simple/serviceable/fixable. love it or hate it, but that's my perfect truck. politics won't let it happen tho

BURNSTOUGHFORD 01-29-2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by devja71 (Post 7072894)
..ahem, i hope i don't start all sorts of trouble here, but i would like to see a plug-in electric powertrain. hear me out. a simple 250-300hp or so electric motor with some kind of cvt behind it to a common 2spd transfer case and d44 (or equivilent sterling) full floater high pinion straight axles. that and an onboard generator- a flex fuel small engine not even hooked to the driveline. and have it so we can just manually start and kill the engine when we want. and the batteries mounted in the front of the bed out of the way as possible. (i had that idea in my head before i saw the chevy volt). say if the electric only had mabey a 30-40 mile range, plug it in 110v all night drive the first 30m, start the gen to sustain it and (depending on how charged) shut the gen off and coast the last 30m before getting home. in cold weather run the generator for the heater etc) the generator would have to have some quick recovery tho. make it all simple/serviceable/fixable. love it or hate it, but that's my perfect truck. politics won't let it happen tho

Or the people, i would doubt that would sell at all. If the bronco comes back it will be geared as a more off road oriented vehicle similar to a jeep. For good fuel economy or eco you can have the explorers.

There will probably be a few that will agree with you, but the numbers would be so small, sales is what hold things like that down.

devja71 01-29-2009 03:55 PM

if the aforementioned e-truck was parked side-by-side with an identical V6 powered truck beside it, it would be interesting to see which would really sell more. particularly if the e-truck was marketed well (since that's what seems to really sell trucks). and proven thru time. there is absolutely NO reason why we can't have cool/macho AND eco at the same time. i'm amazed as to how many ppl are brainwashed to that division line. remember the 289 mustangs? they wheren't much if any at all worse mpg than an inline 6er, especially if they had overdrive/lock up converter. and you get a punchy growly V8 that was fun to drive. they proved you could have your cake and eat it too. just because a small-mid pickup has straight axles doesn't mean it should take any more power or fuel to push it around. anyway, i just hope it would be given a chance. media says it'd never work and ppl hear that enough times till they just believe it. i never found the explorer very eco anyway.

rambuck 01-30-2009 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by db_tanker (Post 6754353)
well...

would the sport trac be dropped if they brought out the F100 in a super crew? or would it be only available in a scab configuration? Make sure that it can seat, in Screw config, 4 people @ 6'3" and 240 lbs (two front two back) in relative comfort for at least 2 hours. I use myself and my friends as a base-line. I am 6'1" and a somewhat chunky 255. friends run the range from 6 even to 6'4" and all over 200. Cargo boxes...in the regular cab have 6' and 7', then in the scab and screw configs have a 5.5 and 6.5 available like the F150.

Engine choices...4, 6 and 8...pending what the eco-boost is able to produce...as it stands, I have seen nothing therefore I call wolf-cookies and demand at the very least a 4.6 as the top engine.

Curb weight...as the original F100 was supposed to be a "Quarter Ton truck" IIRC, but will more realistically have a box capable of say 1k and towing in the range of about 6k as that is what the ranger can do IIRC so I say have the vehicle curb weight of no more than 5k.

packages...not as many as the F150...custom or XL, then XLT, then FX2 or FX4, with 4x4 being standard in FX4 and optional in XLT and XL trim. The 4 cyl with auto or manual in XL only, XLT and FX2/4 will run the 6 or 8 with manual or auto.

4x4...forlorn hope here...but an optional SAS up front? doubt it, though. SO...IFS up front and solid diff rear. Perhaps also have a "Raptor" F100 version as well since the front will be IFS.

Size...I have seen some quotes at 4/5ths the size of a std F150 but using the same frame. I am uncertain if that would keep the weight down but hey, I ain't no engine-ear.

Make sure that the SVT team doesn't ignore the F100.

If they follow that, then I would commit right now to get one.

You have great ideas my friend.:-jammin I do want to say a couple things.
The new F100 would be 9/10th the size of the F150, but 4/5ths might sound better.

The Sport Trac won't be dropped most likely. It is not in any way to be a truck like the F100 would be. It is needed to compete against trucks like the Chevy Avalanche and the Honda Ridgeline.

rambuck 01-30-2009 08:20 PM

In my personal opinion, a new F100 would be an incredible move for Ford Motor Company. It would bring back the reminiscence of the early F Series trucks, after the F1, F2, and F3 of course, but still a perfect truck nonetheless.

Now, what I want on this piece of machinery:

Engines: 4, 6, and even an 8.

Cabs: Std, Extended, and Crew

Beds: 6 foot for std and ext. and 5.5 foot for a Crew; no need for the steps

Wheels: 16", 17", 18"

Transmission: 5 or 6 speed automatic. Maybe a 6 speed manual for penny-pinchers or a sport package

Packages: XL, XLT, FX4, FX2 Sport, Lariat, SVT, XFE. There is potential with an SVT.

Features (some are obviously optional): SYNC, Shift on the Fly, exceptional towing (like Ford always has), Rancho shocks, bed extender, cargo management, FULLY BOXED FRAME, fully flat rear seat thing, in-floor storage, power everything, and I'll get more on what I believe would make it better later.

Paint: Just nothing that screams, "Hey, this might as well be a work/fleet truck!" Except the colors for a work/fleet truck.

justiz00 01-30-2009 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by rambuck (Post 7079157)
In my personal opinion, a new F100 would be an incredible move for Ford Motor Company. It would bring back the reminiscence of the early F Series trucks, after the F1, F2, and F3 of course, but still a perfect truck nonetheless.

Now, what I want on this piece of machinery:

Engines: 4, 6, and even an 8.

Cabs: Std, Extended, and Crew

Beds: 6 foot for std and ext. and 5.5 foot for a Crew; no need for the steps

Wheels: 16", 17", 18"

Transmission: 5 or 6 speed automatic. Maybe a 6 speed manual for penny-pinchers or a sport package

Packages: XL, XLT, FX4, FX2 Sport, Lariat, SVT, XFE. There is potential with an SVT.

Features (some are obviously optional): SYNC, Shift on the Fly, exceptional towing (like Ford always has), Rancho shocks, bed extender, cargo management, FULLY BOXED FRAME, fully flat rear seat thing, in-floor storage, power everything, and I'll get more on what I believe would make it better later.

Paint: Just nothing that screams, "Hey, this might as well be a work/fleet truck!" Except the colors for a work/fleet truck.

Seems like wish lists like this are what is the downfall of the modern day automaker. Too many options that are viable to produce. How about this.

Engines:6, and an 8.

Cabs: Std and Crew

Beds: 6 foot for both.

Wheels: 16"

Transmission: Latest auto or standard.

Packages: Ranger, Sport, Sport Custom, Explorer

Features:A/C optional, Stake pockets, Bench seat,

Paint: Like the old F100s with the top of the cab and below the trim the same with the space in between white or solid, or two tone. Let this truck remind people of the ones they had back then. Not slap an old name on it and sell them a delorean.

devja71 02-01-2009 09:31 AM

ditto on the old 2-tone. i love 57-up f100's w/the 2-tone upper half being white. i had a red/white 66 red roof red bottom half white hood/upper half. that was the nicest scheme i'd ever known to this day. i still scream for straight-axle 4x4. but if we must have wishbone ifs, please give it ground clearance. i've never bought a newer truck (newest is my 92 bronco) because i'm sick and tired of seeing low-mounted torsion bars and low hanging frames and low anything on a 4x4. at least ford wasn't as bad as the rest. (toyota's been good) -even the new jeeps have a bit of hanging frame. they must realize ground clearance is important on a 4x4 for a vehicle meant to drive thru and over stuff. that's what turned me right off w/gm since 88. pls give us long travel wishbones w/outboard mounted hubs. pls no more cad vacuum crap. it looks like the industry is moving away from torsion bars anyway thank goodness. old plymouth's are one thing, but t-bars on a 4x4? eeek. my 3 things -ground clearance, diff locks, and manual hubs. that would make part of a good fx4 pkg

rambuck 02-01-2009 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by justiz00 (Post 7079252)
Seems like wish lists like this are what is the downfall of the modern day automaker. Too many options that are viable to produce. How about this.

Engines:6, and an 8.

Cabs: Std and Crew

Beds: 6 foot for both.

Wheels: 16"

Transmission: Latest auto or standard.

Packages: Ranger, Sport, Sport Custom, Explorer

Features:A/C optional, Stake pockets, Bench seat,

Paint: Like the old F100s with the top of the cab and below the trim the same with the space in between white or solid, or two tone. Let this truck remind people of the ones they had back then. Not slap an old name on it and sell them a delorean.

Mine is more of what is most likely to happen. I am basing this off of what other manufacturers sell on their mid-size trucks and applying it to Ford and what they might just do.

On your packages, having a Ranger and Explorer packages would be too confusing for the consumer.

tseekins 02-05-2009 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by devja71 (Post 7073929)
if the aforementioned e-truck was parked side-by-side with an identical V6 powered truck beside it, it would be interesting to see which would really sell more. particularly if the e-truck was marketed well (since that's what seems to really sell trucks). and proven thru time. there is absolutely NO reason why we can't have cool/macho AND eco at the same time. i'm amazed as to how many ppl are brainwashed to that division line. remember the 289 mustangs? they wheren't much if any at all worse mpg than an inline 6er, especially if they had overdrive/lock up converter. and you get a punchy growly V8 that was fun to drive. they proved you could have your cake and eat it too. just because a small-mid pickup has straight axles doesn't mean it should take any more power or fuel to push it around. anyway, i just hope it would be given a chance. media says it'd never work and ppl hear that enough times till they just believe it. i never found the explorer very eco anyway.

I think it's a great idea for a commuter car even at that, the technology is cost prohibitive.

Tim

devja71 02-19-2009 12:06 PM

could ford kindly bring back the older-style steel wheels with the 4 long slots in'm? or make (mould-if it saves costs) an aluminum rim that looks just like the old 4slot steel wheel w/a hubcap? tired of these ugly steel wheels with the pontiac 6000-style round holes. eewww. the econoline e250's where still using 4slot's not long ago, i'm not sure on the new ones.

99F150 02-21-2009 08:52 PM

I want a MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!

I also want a Supercab with jump seats set sideways like the Ranger, that way an adult can ride back there and stretch his legs.

Looked at the GMC Canyon and Dodge Dakota extended cabs on Friday, I am only 5'10 and I could not fit in back. My 13 year old son is almost as tall as me, he fits fine in the back of my Ranger if no one is across in the other seat.

If I can dream some more I would take a small diesel with the manual trans..