Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   Why say never? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/791257-why-say-never.html)

tseekins 11-09-2008 11:00 AM

Why say never?

Has Ford made an announcement that it will not happen? If so, big mistake. If not, let's get on with it and compete with the other players.

Tim

Raider50 11-09-2008 11:09 AM

I think that a mid sized truck from ford wouldn't be a bad idea, however with the economic situation most Americans are in I don't know if it will sell as well as it could from its launch. I do expect if it ever happens it will out sell the ranger.

BLK94F150 11-09-2008 12:02 PM

Looks like they are going to drop another successful nameplate for something that hasn't been used since 83. Good bye product recognition. IMO that's a big reason why names like F150, Ram, Camry, and Accord sell so well. They are familiar.

Most truck buyer I doubt will remember that the F100 was a 1/2 ton of the past. It should stay that way and they should actually update the Ranger significantly.

But what do I know other than I'll make more money this year than Ford and GM combined.

Mike

excaliber551 11-09-2008 12:06 PM

Ford has already stated that the do not intend to build a F100 pickup at this current time and it has been shelved. They are going to keep the F150 platform and concentrate on better MPG's and HP performance with the new Ecoboost engines.

That's the truck I'm waiting for.

rangerfan 11-09-2008 12:40 PM

X 2 excaliber551 and blk94f150. I would like to see the 3.5 ecoboost in a Ranger. The thing that I noticed most about Ranger guys is that we are totally loyal about our little trucks, and keep comming back and buying them truck after truck. I'm on my 5th since 1995.

If I wanted a bigger truck than I would go with the F150. If the Ranger goes away then so will most of the Ranger guys. I for one would go with the Frontier if the Ranger went away.

WhëëlMå1 11-09-2008 02:05 PM

I would bet this would replace the Ranger line. Ford can probably utilize items from the half ton for this build, instead of having completely separate items to support the Ranger line..... economies of scale at their finest. Gotta know the bean counters are looking everywhere this day and age.

WhëëlMå1 11-09-2008 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by BLK94F150 (Post 6745298)
Looks like they are going to drop another successful nameplate for something that hasn't been used since 83. Good bye product recognition. IMO that's a big reason why names like F150, Ram, Camry, and Accord sell so well. They are familiar.

Most truck buyer I doubt will remember that the F100 was a 1/2 ton of the past. It should stay that way and they should actually update the Ranger significantly.

But what do I know other than I'll make more money this year than Ford and GM combined.

Mike

I see it similarly.... but from a different angle. The Ranger has been untouched for TOO MANY years. People see it as a dinosaur. With a new nameplate (that is akin to the well known F150)... it could be quite successful.

tseekins 11-09-2008 02:20 PM

The Ranger is a great truck. It's also very outdated and it's not cheap. It's quite small and it's best fuel economy isn't significantly better than the estimated MPG's of the '09 F-150. The F-series nameplate is the most recognizeable nameplate in the auto world. The F-100 would be a member of that highly recognizable F-series brand.

I will agree however that Ford has made it's blunders on product naming / re-naming. Most recently, Taurus - Ford 500 - Taurus. Freestyle - Taurus X.

If Ford chooese to keep the Ranger (which isn't a bad choice) then they need to update / upgrade the truck. If they eventually move to a mid sized truck then they need to do it in such a way that don't market it as a replacement for the Ranger.

Tim

ajc1460 11-09-2008 03:29 PM

I want one

I would buy one this season if they had it out. I have had Rangers and F150's and the Ranger is too small, and the F150 is more than I need. The current Ranger does not do enough better on fuel than the F150 to warrant the significant size sacrifice. The F150 does not have enough power to impress and the fuel mileage is painful. An F100 with ecoboost making in the mid 20's for fuel mileage would fill the bill for many in my opinion. Ford is going down the wrong track with their styling if you ask me. They are more grocery getters than they are trucks. Ford still makes the best trucks of anyone, but they could do much, much better IMHO.

BURNSTOUGHFORD 11-09-2008 04:25 PM

There is alot of negitive thougts of ford latley it seems. Seems that most people are bashing fords ideas of the new 09 f-150, raptor and f-100.

Thats to bad IMO. We got to trust that they are good at what they do and they have been here this long. They might know what they are doing.

Any ways... I think the Ranger does need an update. and renaming it he F-100 in my book would be great.

broncobilly66 11-09-2008 05:01 PM

I'm all for a newf100.. only because i heard they might remake the bronco on that platform..But i want a real bronco to compete with the rubicon, I want a really modern version of my '66..I'd buy one

tseekins 11-09-2008 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by broncobilly66 (Post 6746130)
I'm all for a newf100.. only because i heard they might remake the bronco on that platform..But i want a real bronco to compete with the rubicon, I want a really modern version of my '66..I'd buy one

I'm with ya on that one. The F-100 is the most logical platform to build the new Bronco, but, the thing that scares the hell out of me is that Ford may screw it up like Toyota did on the re-made Land Cruiser. Modern is great to a point, but nastalgia is awesome. Keep it simple and keep it affordable.

Tim

pilot10 11-10-2008 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by ajc1460 (Post 6745830)
I would buy one this season if they had it out. I have had Rangers and F150's and the Ranger is too small, and the F150 is more than I need. The current Ranger does not do enough better on fuel than the F150 to warrant the significant size sacrifice. The F150 does not have enough power to impress and the fuel mileage is painful. An F100 with ecoboost making in the mid 20's for fuel mileage would fill the bill for many in my opinion. ..... Ford still makes the best trucks of anyone, but they could do much, much better IMHO.

Exactly my situation. Somethings coming for sure. I can't find the link to the regulation right now but I believe EPA CAFE requirements mandate 28mpg for light trucks by 2016. IMHO the truck mfg's will find a couple mpgs every few years for the foreseeable future- they have to otherwise cost of fuel and "green" regulations will completely obliterate the truck market.

The article below mentions 28.4 but not the year
Press Releases | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation

ArtsBest 11-10-2008 08:19 AM

Pres-elect, Obama, wants immediate "aid" for the "Big 3." On ONE stipulation though, SMALLER, more fuel efficient vehicles. So maybe an F-100 is in the cards.

BLK94F150 11-10-2008 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD (Post 6746013)
There is alot of negitive thougts of ford latley it seems. Seems that most people are bashing fords ideas of the new 09 f-150, raptor and f-100.

Thats to bad IMO. We got to trust that they are good at what they do and they have been here this long. They might know what they are doing.

Any ways... I think the Ranger does need an update. and renaming it he F-100 in my book would be great.

Guilty. The new F150 is great except that the 6.2 is not an option yet and the 5.4 only gets 10 HP more than an 04 on gas. The Raptor is cool, but that SVT badge will add at least 10K to the sticker. The F100 is IMO stupid as you lose name recognition.

If you want to make the Ranger into a 3/8 ton truck, fine do it. But don't drop a nameplate that you haven't been using since when the Ranger came out. Few remember what it is. Update the Ranger name, put some marketing into it, and watch the $$$s roll in.

Detroit has got to stop playing the name game. It is hurting them big time. Look at any vehicle that has consistantly sold well and then look at how long it has had the same name.

I don't think Ford knows what they are doing. If they did, they would be making more money than me and thier entire north American operation wouldn't be mortgaged. Ford (and GM and Chrysler) are grasping at straws. It's even more serious now that they are getting 25 billion of our tax dollars as a "retooling loan" AKA a bailout of a different name. No doubt they will get an official bailout of more of our tax dollars under the new president and Dem controlled congress.

Mike