Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum143/)
-   -   log splitter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/790079-log-splitter.html)

brownieboy525 11-05-2008 01:52 PM

log splitter

does anyone know if i have to register a tow behind log splitter? I wired it up with turn signals and lights but I'm not sure if it needs a tag to go on the road or not:confused:

tjc transport 11-05-2008 06:13 PM

that is a tough one. you need a title to register, and tow behind log splitters normally do not come with one.

it is also going to be a personal opinion of the cop type thing. most will say no, but there will always be that one jerk that will ticket you for no plates.

i would go to your local DMV office, and try to get something in writing from them saying you don't need a plate on it.

350steve 11-05-2008 07:48 PM

good question let us now..I seen conrtactors cement mixers/air compressor
with tags...
New Jersey - Other Types of Vehicles - Registration Steps With The NJ DMV - DMV.ORG
Trailers
Trailers under 2,500 pounds, including trailers, semi-trailers, and pop-up campers, are also considered non-conventional and do not require titles, although you must still register them with the state.

Off-road Vehicles
Vehicles such as golf carts, go carts, motorized wheelchairs, and non-street-legal scooters, are exempt from titling and registration in New Jersey. You can find a complete list of non-conventional vehicles online.

frederic 11-05-2008 10:21 PM

If you tow it on the road, you need tags. Without a title is not a problem in NJ, you simply fill out a different form at the DMV, they assign you a temporary tag, and when you have it inspected at Trenton the NJ State Police will assign you a "VIN".

brownieboy525 11-06-2008 08:53 AM

okay thats guys looks like ill be heading to the dmv this weekend :-X13
......wish me luck:)

NJF350SD 11-06-2008 07:27 PM

Does the state still allow "Home-made" trailers? I did this awhile back (a long while back) for an old pop-up camper (non title) I converted into an atv tralier. I was even able to "make-up"my own VIN#.

frederic 11-08-2008 11:30 AM

The titling law on NJ's website is out of date for some reason, two years ago new legislation passed, and having a phone conversation with Trenton's DMV is the best source of information because the local offices are somewhat clueless as to the ins and outs of titling weird stuff.

Yes, NJ allows homemade trailers, but you have to have it inspected in Trenton also. This type of inspection is not a "walk-in" service, and instead you have to call ahead and make an appointment.

Once it passes inspection (rust, welds, tires, lights, chains) they'll send you to the local state trooper building who will assign you a vin. Then, you go back, title the trailer as you would any trailer, and you're done.

The same process applies to homemade vehicles, kit-cars, except that to get either to pass you have to show your welding certification with a date that's at least a decade old - so they know you can weld and it's reasonably safe, since they don't x-ray the welds and simply go by what they can visually inspect (which hopefully is covered with paint).

NJ does not accept bonded or glued together kit cars or homemade vehicles, even though body shops do this regularly and those kind of repairs are within the law.

Go figure ;-)

NJF350SD 11-08-2008 12:37 PM

Good to know. Thanks Frederic.