Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   DIY Hydrogen? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/788743-diy-hydrogen.html)

RADUD 10-31-2008 06:41 PM

DIY Hydrogen?

So i read a post from someone who made a hydrogen generator. Does anyone know how to make one? From what i understand, you just to pass current through water in a seal contained that only allows pressure to escape into the air intake, correct? I plan on messing around with this, trying it on a go cart before, if ever, taking it into my truck.

zack7.3 10-31-2008 10:35 PM

Search in the 99-03 7.3 L forum. You will find a guy named Parkland that did his own and had pretty good results.

rcherry11 12-06-2008 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by RADUD (Post 6712068)
So i read a post from someone who made a hydrogen generator. Does anyone know how to make one? From what i understand, you just to pass current through water in a seal contained that only allows pressure to escape into the air intake, correct? I plan on messing around with this, trying it on a go cart before, if ever, taking it into my truck.

No sure if you are still messing around with the idea but my buddy makes and sells them and on his 07 6.0L he is getting 6 better mpg

97biostroke 12-07-2008 07:37 PM

This is RADUD but i just made a different name for myself. As for the hydrogen, i am still playin around and doing some experimenting, and I don't plan on stopping until its perfected or proven useless. Right now I'm on my fourth container setup. Do you have any specs on your friends generators? Such as how large the plates are, how many amps he runs, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially if i can get an extra 6 mpg.

ABO 12-07-2008 08:55 PM

Hi guys. I've been playing a little with the hydrogen deal. Don't have anything down pat yet but a good site to check out is Hydroxy Hut - Index

rcherry11 12-07-2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 97biostroke (Post 6856653)
This is RADUD but i just made a different name for myself. As for the hydrogen, i am still playin around and doing some experimenting, and I don't plan on stopping until its perfected or proven useless. Right now I'm on my fourth container setup. Do you have any specs on your friends generators? Such as how large the plates are, how many amps he runs, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially if i can get an extra 6 mpg.

you know i don't think he will give me any of his info. But I could let him know that i know someone that is interested and maybe you could talk and see if he would shed some light on this for you. Not trying to sell any for him but you could buy one and see what he had done. Thats what he did

fabmandelux 12-07-2008 09:03 PM

Try this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...water4gas.html

172 posts in this thread.................

rcherry11 12-07-2008 09:09 PM

I know he does a water vinegar mixer in his bottle, easier to make hydrogen that way, from what he says.

97biostroke 12-07-2008 11:24 PM

Well right now I'm not looking to spend any money. I've spent 8$ on a PVC fitting so far, and thats about all i want to spend. Its more of a project to keep me busy and have fun with, since my truck runs on 1$/gal biodiesel anyways. If he'd be willing to share any information that'd be great, but i'd need to see some proof before i spend any money. I'm tryin to avoid being a broke college kid lol.

parkland 01-09-2009 11:52 PM

This is a controversial subject, and there are some who can "prove" that HHO injection simply is a waste of time.

Ironically, you'll run accross operators and pickup owners who manage to make it work, and there are plenty, just search around a little bit.

6 MPG seems steep, but I would expect at least a few MPG increase once everything is set up right.

I abandoned my system cause its been -30 the last few months, making testing kinda hard

97biostroke 01-10-2009 02:35 PM

What exactly is your setup like Parkland? Right now i've got ten SS plates 3.5"x5" that are spaced about 1/32" from each other. With just tap water and no electrolytes it pulls almost 30 amps but only produces 1L or so of gas a minute.

ruschejj 01-25-2009 10:02 AM

I made a generator, put 30 amps to it and it just overheated and blew up. I'm thinking about trying it again. Any of you offer any tips?

I used 6 mason jars wired in series and they all just exploded the tops off the jars. I must have generated too much pressure for the size hose I ran as the "exhaust".

97biostroke 01-25-2009 11:51 AM

I used some 4" PVC with a cleanout on one end and a cap on the other. Its kind of a pain to get sealed completely, but you can thread a fitting in and it will hold some good pressure. The SS plates i made are spaced about 1/32 apart and require no electrolyte at all. I've been meaning to space them farther but haven't had the time to get the parts. Did you ever measure how much gas you are producing?

hydrogen2 01-25-2009 09:25 PM

I made one with PVC pipe but it didn't last long...
I was looking for ready made system and I found this company selling Hydrogen Generator and they seem to have a decent system...
www.fuelfromh2o.com

how much hydrogen were you producing at 30 amps?

parkland 01-26-2009 03:32 AM

I never have measured the electrical draw, or production.

Mine was made from a 20l pail, and coat hangar electrodes. (mistake, corrosion)

These things can get really hot, me and a friend one time made one from a seagrams whiskey bottle, and 2 thick copper rods, and hooked her up to 240VAC.

We were in the middle of filling a garbage bag, when the bottle exploded and the tubes and bag blew up too, this was in the winter, all we saw was a huge cloud of steam, and we couldnt find one speck of water anywhere, so i guess it was beyond boiling anyways. Good thing we were far away!