Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Pinging when engine is starved for diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/785015-pinging-when-engine-is-starved-for-diesel.html)

Futuresweets-10 10-18-2008 11:10 PM

Pinging when engine is starved for diesel

I have run out of fuel a few times and noticed after I finally get it running again the engine has a pinging sound that is most noticeable at idle. Once it gets driven for a few miles it slowly starts to go away. I also noticed it when my fuel filter was extremely dirty. This leads my to belive that it is caused by the engine or injectors being starved for fuel. What causes this? Can it cause harm?

That_Guy 10-18-2008 11:16 PM

You already answered part of your own question, just keep up on the maintaince and dont run outa fuel. Im assuming its not good, but Im no expert on these things.

Fordbronco69 10-18-2008 11:18 PM

Thats called Cackle, bascially when air bubbles hit the injectors.

Theres a mod you can do inside the fuel tank that bypasses the mixing valves in the stock fuel pickup.

Kwik went a step ahead of that and added a fuel pump INSIDE the tank.

I havnt done it yet but many have and am sure they will post soon.

I can see noting good coming from starving the injector of fuel when it tries to fire, the fuel is the lubrication for it so metal/air/metal=fast wearing

Futuresweets-10 10-18-2008 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fordbronco69 (Post 6663155)
Thats called Cackle, bascially when air bubbles hit the injectors.

Theres a mod you can do inside the fuel tank that bypasses the mixing valves in the stock fuel pickup.

Kwik went a step ahead of that and added a fuel pump INSIDE the tank.

I havnt done it yet but many have and am sure they will post soon.

I can see noting good coming from starving the injector of fuel when it tries to fire, the fuel is the lubrication for it so metal/air/metal=fast wearing

I realise its not good, however at this point I dont know what to do. I have run out of fuel twice and dont plan to again. Its making the noise now becuase my filter was dirty. I have been useing diesel out of drums for about 2 months now and I havent been filtering it like I probalby should have. I just took the filter out and there was almost an inch layer of dirt in the bottom of the houseing. I took it apart, cleaned it and cleaned the filter (filter was replaced last week). I am going to start filtering the diesel, but im worried about the effects of what I have already done.
Can it make that noise from having the filter too dirty and not letting enough fuel through to the injectors. Also, I dont know how good the filter is, should I worry about anything that may have gotten past the filter?

PaysonPSD 10-18-2008 11:39 PM

It will ping when starved for fuel as you have found out.

You should put in an in-line filter just before the pump. That will block what is going to your fuel pump. The pump will go pretty quickly if it's getting that much crud in it.

Get a see through filter similar to this so you can see how dirty it's getting. Take the time to pre-filter the fuel from drums.

EDIT: There is also a screen in the pump that can clog.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...erBF77258w.jpg

Futuresweets-10 10-18-2008 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD (Post 6663185)
You should put in an in-line filter just before the pump. That will block what is going to your fuel pump. The pump will go pretty quickly if it's getting that much crud in it.

Get a see through filter similar to this so you can see how dirty it's getting. Take the time to pre-filter the fuel from drums.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...erBF77258w.jpg

Didnt think about that, but I will do that in the morning. Thanks for the tip. Anyone else have an idea if a dirty filter can cause the "cackle" or if I need to do anything about cleaning injectors or anything?

Izzy351 10-18-2008 11:43 PM

That's what the filter is for, so I think you're okay. You can do the in-tank mods to get rid of the source of the air, and you can also install the CCK from DinoFuelAlternatives:
Dino Fuel Alternatives | Product Detail

That will bypass any air that gets into the heads back to the tank. But, you really need to do the in-tank mods as well. It's called the "Hutch" mod, and you'll also want to do the "Harpoon" while you're in there. You can get a kit from ITP Diesel for that, or build your own using guzzle's info:
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Doing these will double-filter your fuel, bypass any air that makes it to your heads, and help you out when you're filling your tank (Harpoon).

EDIT: You can run a few tanks of Bio Diesel through, or pick up a jug of DieselKleen, and mix it heavy to help clean things up...

Fordbronco69 10-18-2008 11:45 PM

If the filter is dirty...need to change it.

Also why type of fuel are you using? Bio? DSL? or a mix like B20? Sounds to me like ur tank lining finally let go and ur filter is catching it.

The filter shouldnt let anything but fuel past it so I wouldnt be worried about a chunk of somthing getting into the injectors but if theres that much crap in the bottom of the fuel bowl u need to keep cleaning it out. Try ebay for better prices on a lot of 5 or so filters for $50 I know napa charges $40 just for one!

Just be sure u drain the bowl before you take the filter out....if done it a few times cuz i fergot and what a mess!

Filter wise...if its black when it should be tan it means it dirty.

PaysonPSD 10-19-2008 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Futuresweets-10 (Post 6663189)
Didnt think about that, but I will do that in the morning. Thanks for the tip. Anyone else have an idea if a dirty filter can cause the "cackle" or if I need to do anything about cleaning injectors or anything?

The fuel line connection at the rear of the pump is not a typical quick disconnect type. Use this diagram to realese it.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...econnector.jpg

And Yes, a dirty filter could be restrictive enough to cause injector cackle.

Kwikkordead 10-19-2008 01:47 AM

Air in fuel = cranky engine.
That's why I moved the fuel pump to the tank.
No air gets introduced, so no air gets fed to the injectors.

ron's power stroke 10-19-2008 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Izzy351 (Post 6663191)
That's what the filter is for, so I think you're okay. You can do the in-tank mods to get rid of the source of the air, and you can also install the CCK from DinoFuelAlternatives:
Dino Fuel Alternatives | Product Detail

EDIT: You can run a few tanks of Bio Diesel through, or pick up a jug of DieselKleen, and mix it heavy to help clean things up...

good luck with that one if your a new customer or not a personal friend:rolleyes:

good idea with the bio..but make sure you have a couple spare filters with you at all times till she cleans out though...

if you ran her out of fuel..it will take 50 to 100 miles driving time to get that air out of the system..the CCK or regulated return and best of all KWIKK's set up will make it quiter and the injectors last longer..but even them wont work if you keep running her out of fuel...you next mod may need to be an extra set of eyes for the fuel gauge..lol

Futuresweets-10 10-19-2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by ron's power stroke (Post 6663386)
good luck with that one if your a new customer or not a personal friend:rolleyes:

good idea with the bio..but make sure you have a couple spare filters with you at all times till she cleans out though...

if you ran her out of fuel..it will take 50 to 100 miles driving time to get that air out of the system..the CCK or regulated return and best of all KWIKK's set up will make it quiter and the injectors last longer..but even them wont work if you keep running her out of fuel...you next mod may need to be an extra set of eyes for the fuel gauge..lol

For all that asked, im running pure diesel, no bio yet.... Also, Im more worried about the trash or dirt than I am of running out of fuel. I dont plan to let that happen again.

ron's power stroke 10-19-2008 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Futuresweets-10 (Post 6663134)
I have run out of fuel a few times and noticed after I finally get it running again the engine has a pinging sound that is most noticeable at idle. Once it gets driven for a few miles it slowly starts to go away. I also noticed it when my fuel filter was extremely dirty. This leads my to belive that it is caused by the engine or injectors being starved for fuel. What causes this? Can it cause harm?

i gave an answer to the first question..i believe the others already answered how to take care of the dirt problem...