Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Tonneau covers? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/779670-tonneau-covers.html)

imlowr2 09-29-2008 11:44 PM

Tonneau covers?

This has been a subject for quiet awhile. Which do you prefer and why?

Fomoko1 09-30-2008 12:29 AM

Vinyl/ material type cover with snaps is fairly cheap and quick. Besides for now I have to be a tight wad till I get more done on my truck.
Later on a fiberglass cover is in the plans but for now I have afew more important things on my big list.

Julies Cool F1 09-30-2008 12:51 AM

I had a vinyls cover with snaps on my '55 F-100 and it was really nice. I had it made out of white vinyl so it matched my trim. It was sharp looking, reduced the wind scoop effect in the bed, was easy to open and close - where I needed to do so - and I could completely remove it if needed.

On my 51 I am leaning toward the Gaylord type though. First because it is more structurally sound. Which means when it rains, I wont go out and find my cover holding 40 gallons of water and bulging down into the bed. The Gaylord type is more secure as well - it locks. I can go to the beach and take chairs or go to several stores and not have to worry about theft (which is more of a concern now than when I had the 55 in the mid 80s). Better UV protection and stamina for the cover itself. And it's a little less "flappy" in the wind at speed. No rusty snaps to stick over time, no popped snaps or torn snap holes.

Just a few thoughts.

J!

49willard 09-30-2008 06:32 AM

I will most likely make a custom cover with velcro tucked up under the bottom of the rolled edges of the bedsides and probably the tailgate. I have a Truxedo on my 03 Ranger and really like it. I had contacted Kellie from Truxedo (occasionally on the forum) and tried to interest them in marketing a cover for the rolled edge type of bedside without success, My thoughts would be a rail system like on my Ranger that uses the stake bed holes to secure the rail. This allows the use of tubular stiffeners sewn into the cover preventin cover sag. I really wish Truxedo would pick up on this and market one-sewing is not in my skill set.

Randy Jack 09-30-2008 09:01 AM

I scouted out different styles of tonneau covers for quite awhile before I decided to build my own. I talked to folks with each different kind at shows and such and checked out fit and aesthetics closely.

I heard mixed reviews on the snap-down and velcro type of soft cover, with the biggest problems being that the flapping can chaffe the paint on the rails and gate, the snaps were a pain and there was not much security. A couple guys had the tonneau stolen off the truck.

The Gaylord and other aftermarket didn't grab me. They seemed kinda tacky, and cheaply made, especially for the money. They were also reportedly difficult to install and fit right. The problem seemed to be at the hinges. The fiberglass ones looked pretty ugly on the inside when opened. I saw some custom aluminum covers that were really nice, but very pricy.

I went cheap and built my own custom tonneau, faced on both sides, vinyl-covered, with an interior light that manually switches on. Gas lifts support the weight when it is up. Overall, I am very pleased with it, although I built it a lot heavier than it needed to be. I can walk on it! I chose not to make it watertight, just route the water out bed drain holes in the front via the side support rails. I can remove it (with an extra pair of hands) very easily when I need the whole bed to haul stuff. It has worked well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal.../75988.520.390

The whole album: 1956 Ford F100 4x2 - Custom Hard Tonneau

Aussie 53 10-03-2008 06:43 PM

I think it comes down to the persons budget when it comes to the bed cover. I went with a home made one, because it is built to the style you choose. And you can say it's an original one off....lol:-drink

Allan Hatcher 01-27-2015 07:40 PM

Anyone know a company that makes hard bed covers for a 48 F 1?
Besides Pro's Pick.
Thanks,
Al

JPMallory 01-27-2015 08:23 PM

I have the vynil cover with velcro on my 48. Im pretty happy with it.

Allan Hatcher 01-27-2015 09:18 PM

bed cover

J P
How long has it been on?
Thanks,
Al

harleymsn 01-28-2015 01:01 AM

Wow, another 7 year old thread ... talk about beating a DEAD HORSE!

JPMallory 01-28-2015 05:45 AM

Ha. I didnt realize how old this thread was. That's what I get for browsing on my phone while sitting at a bar.

Allan, its been on about six months.

Allan Hatcher 01-28-2015 08:31 AM

J P
Thanks. Waiting to hear from Gaylord Lids. Expensive but A 1.
Al

Allan Hatcher 01-28-2015 08:35 AM

Harleymsn
The world needs another s a

Okiedokie 01-28-2015 09:44 PM

What possible difference does it being an old thread make? Plus it was good to see one of Randy Jacks posts. Took me back to when I was building my 53. Have a Gaylord lid on it and like it a lot.

Allan Hatcher 01-29-2015 08:31 AM

Bed cover

Okie
I agree. Why be negative on here with truck brothers? :-jammin
Al