Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Powerstrokehelp.com (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/778128-powerstrokehelp-com.html)

Rob.D 09-24-2008 05:44 PM

Powerstrokehelp.com

Anybody else find this website? I've been watching all the video's and learning a ton. What's everybody think of this guy and his opinions?

bismic 09-24-2008 06:01 PM

I have links to all his videos in the spreadsheets I am offering to anyone that wants them. I have noticed a few errors in the videos, but in general they are good.

The errors I have noticed:

1. In one video he states to use Mercon V - You MUST ONLY use Mercon SP.

2. In another video, he states that bypass oil filtration can significantly extend "Oil Change Intervals". Due to viscosity shearing of the oil from the HPOP system, very few oils can go past 5000 miles and still be in the 40 wt viscosity range. They get low in the 30 wt range past 7500 miles.

3. He also talks about adding an oil additive - "Prolong". I personally would not recommend using the stuff just because oil additives in general cause more problems than they solve. The only exception to this that I have read about is Hot Shot's Secret (which is not added to extend engine life - it is added for injector stiction).

FTX 09-24-2008 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rob.D (Post 6582302)
Anybody else find this website? I've been watching all the video's and learning a ton. What's everybody think of this guy and his opinions?

One of the best sources of real "straight talk" info on the 6.0 Powerstroke that can be found.. plus Bill is very willing to help. I sent a couple of e-mails to him asking some questions and he responded very quickly with accurate and helpful info. ... AND he even knew my 05 was still under warranty and that it will be a while before he will see any real service business from me.

Enough Already 09-24-2008 09:46 PM

Hey Mark - can I get a copy of your spreadsheet?

mphiggins@bellsouth.net

Thanks!

riggz 09-24-2008 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 6582364)
I have links to all his videos in the spreadsheets I am offering to anyone that wants them. I have noticed a few errors in the videos, but in general they are good.

The errors I have noticed:

1. In one video he states to use Mercon V - You MUST ONLY use Mercon SP.

2. In another video, he states that bypass oil filtration can significantly extend "Oil Change Intervals". Due to viscosity shearing of the oil from the HPOP system, very few oils can go past 5000 miles and still be in the 40 wt viscosity range. They get low in the 30 wt range past 7500 miles.

3. He also talks about adding an oil additive - "Prolong". I personally would not recommend using the stuff just because oil additives in general cause more problems than they solve. The only exception to this that I have read about is Hot Shot's Secret (which is not added to extend engine life - it is added for injector stiction).

Yeah another thing is that he says that you HAVE to use CJ-4 rated oil. The engine only requires CI-4+, however pretty much everyone is rated at CJ-4 now.

Some of his videos are pretty funny when he's talking all professional and then says something like "damn that thing's on there tigther than dog shi*" lol.

Benchwrench 09-25-2008 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 6582364)
...3. He also talks about adding an oil additive - "Prolong". ....

you know, I've found that stuff to wake up my turbo on my 7.3 and it only had around 20k mi when I added it to the crankcase.
It was a very noticeable increase the first day. Too bad it took more than one li'l bitty bottle.
I'm thinking of adding it to my 6.0 after a bit but don't see it readily on the shelf.
And honestly guys, I am not one to believe in snake oil or oil additives either.

cheers.

bismic 09-25-2008 06:00 AM

It is good to hear personal stories on "Prolong" - and the way Bill endorses it, I'm sure it is good stuff for the proper application. However, I know I am not telling anyone anything new when I say that the 7.3's and the 6.0's are definitely different engines and what works well on one may not work well on the other. I would want to hear a "lot" of personal testimony type stories specifically for the 6.0 before trying an oil additive (never good to be the first one to try something unless you really have nothing to lose). I have heard many stories of causing problems w/ oil additives (like Lucas) in the 6.0L.

It does sound like good stuff - maybe worth looking into it for my son's 7.3L

Benchwrench 09-25-2008 08:33 AM

The only reason why I even bothered to buy the stuff was because of a local car talk radio show had these mechanic guys consisitantly plug the stuff and in the past I trusted their mechanical aptitude.
They were right, the stuff is slick.
I'll look into this stuff again on the net and maybe find more on it.
I think for the 7.3 oil capacity,it took 3 bottles.

On another note, there is one of the videos you guys are talking about with Bill where he didn't edit it out it's just raw video. I think it was after lunch too :-missingt Buuuurrrp!

JIM_C 09-25-2008 09:46 AM

Bill's shop is right up the road from me. I talked to him on the phone the other day and he's great to talk with. My truck is out of warranty and I want to make some modifications but will probably start with a new ICP sensor. After that we'll talk about performance mods. I'll let y'all know!

Rob.D 09-26-2008 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JIM_C (Post 6584395)
Bill's shop is right up the road from me. I talked to him on the phone the other day and he's great to talk with. My truck is out of warranty and I want to make some modifications but will probably start with a new ICP sensor. After that we'll talk about performance mods. I'll let y'all know!

What is Bill's opinion on EGR delete and SCT programmers? My wife is headed too Disney next summer. Very tempted to have Bill do head studs and EGR delete if he will. Have not talked to him.

JIM_C 09-26-2008 10:28 PM

He will do it, no problem. Call him and leave a message. He will call you back, and you can get his opinions straight from him.

Jayybird 07-05-2009 10:21 PM

Amsoil Synthetic Oil

Hi,
Do any of you guys have any experience with Amsoil Synthetic Oil? Bill highly recommends it on his 6.0 longevity vid. Just curious if anyone else has had any experience with it. If so, whats your opinion on switching to synthetic on a higher mileage truck. I have a 05 6.0 PSD with 112,500 miles and would like to switch if its worth it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

juneau76 07-06-2009 06:43 AM

Jaybird, I run Amsoil. I like it and think it's good. I think synthetic is a good idea regardless of your mileage due to some inherent benefits of synthetic oils and would recommend making the switch. I would recommend using 5w40 and so does Ford now that they offer a synthetic 5w40. Some people only use dino because they can't justify the extra cost of synthetic and that is fine, too. Just make sure you're using a good quality CJ-4 rated oil.

mhays2 07-06-2009 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jayybird (Post 7684084)
Hi,
Do any of you guys have any experience with Amsoil Synthetic Oil? Bill highly recommends it on his 6.0 longevity vid. Just curious if anyone else has had any experience with it. If so, whats your opinion on switching to synthetic on a higher mileage truck. I have a 05 6.0 PSD with 112,500 miles and would like to switch if its worth it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I like Bill H. and Amsoil both - A LOT.

Nothing is always perfect, and that's the case with Bill and Amsoil. But I think both are about 90% right on the money.

I run Amsoil 5W30 with the Amsoil bypass system and change my oil at 10k miles or one year, whichever comes first. I use Prolong (oil) and Stanadyne (diesel). The combination of all of these makes my truck noticeably smoother running and quieter. But most importantly, consistent. Prior to all that, sometimes I'd get a rough start, a skip once in a while and lost two injectors… Now I have a smooth starting/running engine - 100% of the time.

Jayybird 07-06-2009 06:22 PM

Oil Filter

mhays2 & juneau76,
Do you guys use an Amsoil or Motorcraft filter for the Main Flow (not the bypass)? How many miles do you have on your truck? Thanks for the info guys.