Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Iowa Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum140/)
-   -   Iowa Roll call (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/775258-iowa-roll-call.html)

FarmForward 09-14-2008 12:34 PM

Iowa Roll call

Been kind of quiet here lately, so I got to wondering what everybody's been doing of late? I'm still at my 3rd shift town job, looking for something to replace it, though... my lead guy is a real PITA, and the trend towards that gets worse as you go up the chain of command. Also keeping an eye on the fields, getting in the "harvest" mindset, and thinking of doing a few things to get ready for wintertime.

Hope everybody's doing okay... let's hear from ya's out there!

fellro86 09-14-2008 03:41 PM

Full time college, as well as 20+ hours a week at Autozone... then there is home and helping on the farm... It isn't looking like the harvest will be starting for at least a few more weeks, not exactly surprising considering how late it went in... I really need to get the snow blower ready too, since I'm sure that will be coming soon...

390fe 09-15-2008 06:01 PM

No farm work for me, but 40 to 50 hours a week third shift at the aluminum/magnesium foundry. I am looking forward towards shopping for another southers rust-free body this spring.

stryder 09-15-2008 06:09 PM

Roger, how on earth did you get a job at Autozone...you actually know about cars! They usually dont hire people with knowledge! :rolleyes:

Things here are kinda slow. I was in full gear working on the house this summer...Roof done, couple of rooms gutted, then BAM! First the A/C died, then the dryer, then the A/C in the wife's car, tires/brakes for my car...:-blah
So everything is on hold while the funds slowly rebuild. The wife is pissed the house may not get sided this year, but somewhat calmed down when I said either the house gets siding or our bedroom get finished.
Of course being without cash, I'm finding all kinds of parts I'd love to have, but cant afford :-banghead There was a '67 390 Galaxie convertible only about an hour from me for $1000. Nice shape too dang it.
Oh well such is life. Hopefully this winter is not as bad as they say, but if it is at least I'll have a good reason to drive the truck!
Later

fellro86 09-15-2008 10:34 PM

Our store is the anomaly, our entire staff has good knowledge.. it also could have something to do with why we are top in out district for sales... I tell ya, the Ford truck guys are flocking, just not to the forum... It seems word is getting out that I have good knowledge about our trucks, so they come to me nowadays... It's sad when Advance couldn't figure out what plug wires to get for a guy that wasn't sure if he had a 351M or a 400... they couldn't figure out which 351 he was talking about... I stood there and rattled a bunch of different identifiers to him, and he was amazed, and also learned something, which he appreciated. Heck, one of our own, a self proclaimed Ford guy, couldn't figure out an upper rad hose to fit a 302 in a 77, since he was looking up a 150. I told him look it up as a 100, and what do you know, I found it right away..:rolleyes: I can't give him too much heck, he used to work with my uncle and cousin at their shop. ( Actual business)

FARM69 09-18-2008 08:09 PM

Same old same old here besides seed corn harvest. We are rollin at 110% right now. Looks like the frost is going to hold off for us so far.

I currently got my diesel in my shop waiting for a bigger turbo and other mods. I've been driving my 90' F150 with 208k on the ticker. Still has the stock clutch on it! Doesn't even burn any oil, but the rear seal is has seen better days.

I'm gonna have to make it over to the Autozone in CR one of these days and say hello.

maadman 09-18-2008 11:39 PM

My customers at the ag dealership are all getting anxious for the upcoming harvest so am real busy these days and not able to spend too much time here at FTE. Got to meet Roger in person the other day and am happy to state that we were able to get his Dad's tractors cylinder head fixed up with new injector sleeves today which should take care of the water blowby.

BURNSTOUGHFORD 09-19-2008 12:31 AM

Full time at ISU ( mechanical engineer) working 1 job and working on a patent for another company... also Im VP of the ISU motorcycle club... and we are hosting a time trials race this weekend....so ya im busy with that... gunna rock though

fellro86 09-19-2008 07:25 AM

Got the head on it now, and he even agreed to put a turbo on it! That shocked me... he has been resisting that for a while. Got to go get a couple fittings and such to make it work out though...IH didn't seem to think the oil cooler was an issue when they put some of these fittings on, they won't clear with it in place, so I'll just make my own that will, and an intake pipe. I was good catching up with you as well, I'm sure I'll have to come back for something, never fails, the 684 still has some issues as well...

FARM69 09-19-2008 06:48 PM

Fellro, what is this project you speak of?

monsterbaby 09-19-2008 08:21 PM

still doing the same old thing, getting up leaving at midnight and driving to Peoria swap trailers and come back.

Well that and working on the Galaxie and racing up at Newton when they have races

fellro86 09-19-2008 09:40 PM

Trying to get a 966 back in full working order after many years of neglect... I resleeved it after having one of them cavitate through, and it was running good, except it would pressurize the cooling system slowly until it overcame the cap and puked it out. After the engine would be warmed up, it would be fine, it only did it on cold start up. It also would have a little coolant in the cylinder every time on cold starts. My dad pulled the head back off, and got it flat checked and crack checked (like he was supposed to do last fall when I resleeved it...) and it checked ok. Courtesy of the advise of some of the users over to the diesel garage, I had it taken in to get the injector sleeves done. Lo and behold, the cylinder showing problems had a bad injector sleeve... Did them all just for prevention if nothing more.Still plenty more, just found the shifter support bearing is past shot, so I have it so we can at least run it, then sometime I'll have to tear into it more.

FARM69 09-19-2008 09:52 PM

How many hours on the beast? I've heard of injector sleeves going bad before. Definitely one of those problems that creep up slowly.

fellro86 09-19-2008 10:06 PM

Well, I don't know how many hours it has for certain, but it certainly has history... I ran this very same tractor back in high school, and it had a lot of time on it at that point already. It got partially burned up in 88 or so, and then rebuilt. It has been run continually since then, with minimal maintenance. My uncle used to run straight water in it because it lost coolant. Found the water pump bearing totally failed... Then when I took out the air filter, I couldn't even see the screen! It left a trail of dirt as it rolled across the floor... It took me 15 minutes to clean all the dirt that was packed into the dust boot on the bottom of the air cleaner...

fellro86 09-21-2008 08:29 PM

Looking good for the injector sleeves to be the fix, had it running for a while today, and no indication of problems, so we will have to see.... Got a few other leaks and such handled at the same time...