Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Head Rest in the way of child seat in second row (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/770788-head-rest-in-the-way-of-child-seat-in-second-row.html)

rjd75 08-28-2008 07:47 PM

Head Rest in the way of child seat in second row

My wife bought a pair of Britax Marathon car seats. These things are huge and in order to properly fit I would need to remove the headrest on the second row seat. I looked in the manual and there is no info on that so I assume they are not removeable. The only other option is to put it in the middle or buy a different seat. The only reason I am not to happy about putting it in the middel is because I also have a 3 month old behind the passenger seat and I don't want the 2 yr old that close to him.

Has anyone installed one of the Britax seats in their truck? Fits like a glove in the wife's Tribute with the head rest removed..

EXPhottie 08-29-2008 08:06 AM

I am not familiar with that car seat, but have you tried to recline the seat slightly to see if it fit's?

rjd75 08-29-2008 08:21 AM

I did.. But the problem is that the child seat is so friggin tall that the headrest prevents it from resting against the back of the seat.. I think I am just going to have to return it and look for a different model. The only way I can see it fitting is if I remove the headrest and short of taking a hack saw to it, I don't see how I can do it.. I will post a pic of the problem before I return it.. Hopefully this post will save someone some head ache down the road.

-R.

EXPhottie 08-29-2008 08:47 AM

How tall is it, my 2 year olds car seat is 29.5" tall and it fits fine, and it has a very wide base. If you need a new seat look into the safety 1st brand, we have always had good luck with them, they also make the eddie bauer line by saftey 1st, but you'll pay extra for the name and it's the same seat.

rjd75 08-29-2008 09:56 AM

I called the dealership and they told me how to remove the headrests!

If you push down on the leather around the plastic ring it reveals a little spring clip. Remove the spring clip on both sides and the head rest slides right out. I guess you have to have the service manual for this not the owners manual. Hopefully, it should fit no problem now..

EXPhottie 08-29-2008 10:18 AM

Cool, good info to know!

Perfect Race 08-31-2008 03:21 PM

I took the clips off and removed the head rest on my Expedition. It only takes a minute and allows the car seats to fit correctly.

TIKT B8 05-22-2011 05:10 PM

Sorry to bring up a thread from the dead but this thread saved me. My wife just had our second baby so we moved our Britax Boulevard over to a side seat. It did not fit well until I found this thread and voila! Thanks again FTE.

chuck s 05-26-2011 06:34 AM

Does this mean someone used the *** Gasp! *** search function! Glory be! :)

-- Chuck

glruff 05-26-2011 09:00 AM

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck

TIKT B8 05-26-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by chuck s (Post 10387682)
Does this mean someone used the *** Gasp! *** search function! Glory be! :)

-- Chuck

The SEARCH button and Google can solve all.:-X22

berry1234 05-27-2011 01:39 PM

The search function sucks on this board.

rgilbert 06-04-2011 10:28 AM

Search function is not real good, but searched on the word "headrest" and got 25 hits and several of those gave instructions on "headrest" removal.

eddiemoney 06-06-2011 08:26 PM

I just searched headrest removal :)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...d-removal.html

I have had mind in a box on the shelf for about 18 months now.....they aren't super easy to get on again either...just fyi.

chuck s 06-07-2011 06:15 AM

I'm out of the "child seat" age bracket but recall the center seat was advertised as the place to put one as it can be moved forward allowing someone in the front passenger seat to care for the child. No blocky head rest in the middle seat.

-- Chuck