Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Are NAPA brake pads any good ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/766107-are-napa-brake-pads-any-good.html)

maevans 08-11-2008 06:58 PM

Are NAPA brake pads any good ?

Has anybody ever use the NAPA front brake pads - # SD-7625m that sell for $82.00. The parts guy tells me they are for SD that tow's heavy trailers.

Or can anybody recommend another brake pad for towing, I plan on changing them this weekend. so i need to get them order if i don't use the NAPA pads.

The wife and I went up north to try out our new ATV and on the way home rounding a curve, There stands three deer, It took all i had to get the truck and toybox stopped.

I almost filled all of my deer tags before the season started. (again)

jesse5 08-11-2008 07:04 PM

Napa's most expensive pads are good. The one's you mentioned lasted me three years and seventy thousand miles which is good. You can also order Performance Friction through AutoZone and they cost less.

derekmj64 08-11-2008 07:12 PM

I have them on my truck and I was towing my buddy's 25' steel car trailer without trailer breaks and on it was a Geo tracker, 2 dirt bikes, and a 4-wheeler and it stopped better than I expected when we came up to a traffic jam. I would recommend them. I have always used NAPA products even when I had my Bronco.

FTE/PARTS-GUY 08-11-2008 07:15 PM

Ford Motorcraft makes a Heavy duty brake pad. very affordable.

BRSD756

made for fleet use.

Ed

rebelchevy02 08-11-2008 08:50 PM

The OEM pads, from the dealer last about 100k. Every set on our trucks has. I got one set of medium grade carquest ones once. Lasted 30k. I always had gotten medium grade carquest ones for everythign untill then. (usually the high grade ones are called rotor chewers, and low grade are well, low grade) OEM ones at cost are usually 120 bucks IIRC. Other then that, I would consider the Hawk pads, that most people seem to like so much.

EDIT: And yes I tow, and gross 18k or so when I do tow, we have two skidloaders, and other heavy junk that needs towed from time to time.

Hiflyer746 08-11-2008 08:57 PM

OEM pads seem to last a while. . . but when they get overheated they will last forever. . . because they no longer perform and braking action. I would not recommend OEM pads for any aggressive braking. I drove way too long with my overheated brakes and i guess I got lucky. I have EBC's right now and I'm not super happy with them either. they squeak and they don't stop as well as I would like. In fact I can't really get them to lock up the tires. Not acceptable in my opinion. I will be putting hawks on mine next.
Timmy

pbr man 08-11-2008 09:57 PM

I teamed up a set of Napa preminum pads with Powerslot rotors It is like night and day on stopping from the oem pads and rotors that I replaced.

tag187 08-11-2008 10:28 PM

My friends and myself swear by Hawk on our trucks but we use napa pads on the fleet trucks at work with no issues yet, and all the above mentioned trucks are used on the regular to tow 16k+.

ron's power stroke 08-12-2008 03:30 AM

i have had these napa pads on for a little over 50k miles with no problems...not even half worn out yet...

brake pads rear
ceramic ss-7626x

brake pads front
ceramic cmx-7625

maevans 08-12-2008 05:10 AM

Thanks guys for all the repleys, Very helpful..

I think I'll give the NAPA pads a try this weekend.

Ron - Do you ever sleep ? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/i...n/post_new.gif Today, 04:30 AM :-X0A6<!-- / status icon and date --><!-- / status icon and date -->

Dukernc 08-12-2008 07:46 AM

Hey Mark,
Just did a front brake rebuild on my 90' F150 and installed the premium NAPA SD pads along with the premium grade rotors. The combination works great! It stops on a dime and gives you change!! I also have the SD pads on my 99'. Just be sure that what ever pad you choose to use that you perform the "bedding" break-in process. FYI .. if your not familiar with the process..

BRAKE PAD BEDDING IN PROCEDURE

Good Luck!!

psdme 08-12-2008 08:35 AM

You may also want to consider the "emergency vehicle" rated pads for a few more $'s.

~paul

cangim 08-12-2008 10:17 AM

I put the rear pads on my truck in Rons post above after I first got the truck several years ago. They didn't even look worn much when I pulled them off a year ago or so. Replaced rotors and pads all around. Package deal type thing. I would definately use Napa again. I buy most all my parts from Napa, seems they usually carry what I am looking for.

DieselCamper01 08-12-2008 11:30 AM

I have no problem with NAPA pads but every rotor I have put on a vehicle from them warp in no time flat. I will NEVER use their rotors again. My .02

ron's power stroke 08-12-2008 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by maevans (Post 6441002)
Thanks guys for all the repleys, Very helpful..

I think I'll give the NAPA pads a try this weekend.

Ron - Do you ever sleep ? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/i...n/post_new.gif Today, 04:30 AM :-X0A6<!-- / status icon and date --><!-- / status icon and date -->

im up by 4am every day..3 am alot of the time...make sure you brake them pads in when you put them on..they work better and last longer that way..
Brake Tech - Brake Pad and Rotor Bed-In Procedures

Originally Posted by DieselCamper01 (Post 6441858)
I have no problem with NAPA pads but every rotor I have put on a vehicle from them warp in no time flat. I will NEVER use their rotors again. My .02

there rotors do suck..but get you out of jam when you need to be running,,,