Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   British Columbia (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum165/)
-   -   How much does my car weigh??? Curb Weight, Net Weight, GVW, GVWR (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/763308-how-much-does-my-car-weigh-curb-weight-net-weight-gvw-gvwr.html)

four-sixty-power 08-01-2008 06:04 PM

How much does my car weigh??? Curb Weight, Net Weight, GVW, GVWR

A lighter car is a faster car :)

Does ICBC have their own tests or regulations for weights of vehicles? Or do they just regurgitate what the auto manufacturers tell them?

I've always loved the movie "Smokey And The Bandit"
That 77or78 Trans Am had a 400ci engine.(or 6.6 Litre)
I've got an Olds 403 V8 in my Oldsmobile.

The 403 Olds engine was also put into Trans Ams for use in high altitude cars in California and other states because of a better torque band(Wiki). So I think it probably has more HP as well, maybe 5 or 10? If not, I know it still has more torque.

On my Olds regi, it says my cars Net Weight is 1536kg ( 3379.2 LBs ). So what does that mean? Is that the number I want or do I have to convert it to find the true weight with fluids and such?

I'm trying to figure out if my Olds is lighter than that Trans Am, that would rock!

I'm gonna go look at my door jamb sticker in a bit to find more numbers...

Zip 08-02-2008 06:13 AM

I think the 403 was used in the Trans Am because the GM stopped making the 400/6.6. I think some of the earlier ones came with a 455. I had an 81 and it had a 301/4.9 with a turbo. I think the 403 and 301 were used for the last 2 or 3 years of that body style. There was a time when I could rattle off anything you wanted to know about the car. Forgot most of it now.

The T/A was my dream car for awhile. Smokey did it for me. They said by test data the Corvette was the best handling car but by the seat of your pants the T/A was tops.

I would think net weight would include the fluids. Probably wrong though. Curb weight could be with fluids.

Canadian98f1504x4 08-06-2008 09:41 AM

Not sure about curb weight or net weight, but zip is rite about the 455. The Trans Am was a screamer with the 455. I would hate to try to keep gas in one at the prices now though. LOL

R031Kona 08-07-2008 09:21 PM

455 in a Olds/Buick Pontiac with the right gears was no worse then a pickup on gas.....as long as Zip was driving !!! or a brick was under the pedal!! Seriously they did not get bad mileage with gears in the low 3.XX range , any higher then 3.53 in went to hell but the power !!!

four-sixty-power 08-11-2008 07:03 PM

It's in the back of my mind to put headers and an alum intake and a new timing set, get an electric fan to push cold air through the rad or maybe pull, set the carb for power, get a higher stall converter and get gears around 3.2sumthin, get the A/C working, see if I can find some poly mounts/bushings for the rear suspension(because the police 9C1 package will fit!), alum wheels, and a few other things...

but...

I don't make enough coin...

so it sits in the driveway...

and I still haven't looked at the doorjamb...