Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Bypass CDR valve (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/758221-bypass-cdr-valve.html)

CowboyFromHell 07-14-2008 12:48 PM

Bypass CDR valve

Is it possible to bypass the CDR valve on a 1994 7.3. I am putting a ATS turbo kit on and cant find a valve cover.

CowboyFromHell 07-14-2008 07:41 PM

Could i run a line from the CDR valve and just let it hang down above the axle

tbone91 07-14-2008 08:08 PM

Yes, you can run a "road tube" like you describe, but it will make a mess under your truck and smoke some. It has been done.

You don't want to run it directly into your intake, as the oil droplets can stretch head bolts and cause head gasket failure.

Sorry I'm nut much help, but someone should be along that has dealt with this issue...

cookie88 07-14-2008 08:37 PM

What a lot of the Powerstroke guys do when they build a draft tube is to run the vent hose up over the top of the brake booster to give most of the oil a chance to drain back down. Then run the vent hose back under the cab or even under the bed. Seems to keep most of the oil in the truck and just vents the "mist".

I assume something similar could be fabbed up to do a CDR reroute.

Dieselamour 07-15-2008 06:06 AM

Can you modify your valve cover?

CowboyFromHell 07-15-2008 10:22 AM

Well to modify my valve cover i have to cut the hole in the exact place and then weld a baffle in. I think a road tube would be easier.

CowboyFromHell 07-15-2008 11:06 AM

I decided to run a road tube. Where can i get head studs?

gene17847 07-15-2008 05:46 PM

how do u test your cdr valve to make sure its working?

Dieselamour 07-16-2008 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by CowboyFromHell (Post 6350212)
Well to modify my valve cover i have to cut the hole in the exact place and then weld a baffle in. I think a road tube would be easier.

OK. Just a thought- A road tube might be easier, but think of all the potential oil you may be putting out into the environment, water. Not to mention cycle riders like me have a harder time staying upright with oil on the road.

FORD MEGA CAB!!! 07-16-2008 05:52 AM

I posted this a few days ago and copy and pasted it on here incase someone missed it. As mentioned below, Its just a small box guessing about 8x10x2.5 inches. It passes nearly all of the oil back to the crank case while only venting the gasses out of the crank case. It is not electric and looks very simple. Possibly be able to buy this part at cummins. The truck had over 100kmiles with very little oil even on the inside of the hose. Anyway, heres the past post.

A while back I remember a few people mentining they wanted to remove the cdr valve and just hange a hose under the truck but then that would make an oily mess. And someone else was saying if there was a better way to do the cdr setup so less oil went into the intake. Well, I was working on one of the 2008 international 9200 series with a regen system and came accross something that appeared interesting. As I was underneath the front doing my normal pmi, I noticed there was no oil that had came out of the vent tube hanging from underneath like all the previus trucks. All the international trucks we have are equipted with the ISX 385 or 400. I only have 3 of the 2008s and like 10 of 2007 and under with the isx. All the older ones have an oil mess where the tube dumps along with all our macks.

OK. So I start looking around and see this new box mounted on the drivers side of the engine right infront of the ECM. It says its a filter of some sort. Im 99.9% sure this is the crankcass depression valve and/or its equivelant. It seems to return almost all the oil mist back to the engine via a return line at the bottom of this box. The drag tube that goes under the truck is attached almost at the top of the box passes only blow by gasses and nothing more. I can hold my finger infront of it with no oil mist. Truck has 135,000 miles on it so far.

Anyway, I didn't know if anyone had any experience with these filter things. I will take it apart next chance I get to see what it consistes of but figured someone on here may have seen one. What do yall think Even if we don't make a drag tube under the truck, I can just return it to the intake and it would have much less oil going through the turbo and intake then the normal cdr valve can block. Any Ideas???