Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum152/)
-   -   Local help needed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/755041-local-help-needed.html)

Layed Out 100 07-02-2008 03:21 AM

Local help needed

Hi I'm from Mississippi and just got invited by a friend to go to Tok Alaska for hunting at the end of August. He has friends that live's there so that is really nice. But I hate to bug them for details, Any advice would be great. We plan on driving instead of flying, Camping for a week in tents. We will be bringing two f250 deisels pulling trailer's w/Rinos. so far I have been told we will have to ride the rinos for twenty miles to campsite. All my friends say I will be ate by a bear? Once in a lifetime chance for me and the bear!!

bearman113 07-03-2008 08:12 PM

What info are you looking for??? PM me I work as a hunting guide several times a year.

bearman113

mlb4966 08-17-2008 08:25 PM

Eaten by bear - NO. Eaten by bugs - YES.

The road trip is nice, really one bad section is around the border, mostly Canada side. Frost Heave Garden. You'll see.

20 Mile ride is not that long just have a backup plan for getting stuck in the bog. IE good working winch, back up for that and extra rope.

Are you mailing your guns up? The hassle of getting a permit in Canada is not worth it unless they have made it eaiser. Also consider a good bush gun for protection.

Have a good trip.

Skip1970 11-29-2008 03:30 PM

I can take you out, i dont know what im doing though.. give me a shout

imfox 12-13-2008 06:06 PM

wait, this was made back in July..... Did you have fun? I love hunting... ok.. I love shooting my gun and trying to hit things :p
"Fox what are you shooting at?"
"that bear!"
"With a 22? You're just gonna piss it off!"

Skip1970 12-14-2008 01:58 AM

shooting is a good time for sure! Oo.

NumberDummy 12-14-2008 04:52 AM

Do NOT use Fed-Ex to ship firearms unless the addressee has an FFL.

I recently sent a rifle to Fairbanks AK from CA.

Somehow the guy at the Anchorage AK Fed-Ex Depot discovered the package contained a firearm, and Fed-Ex's policy is firearms must be sent to an authorized FFL holder.

The rifle was then sent to Fed-Ex's security division in Salt Lake City.

It took several phone calls to finally convince Fed-Ex to ship it back to AK because it was an antique.

Antique firearms (made in or before 1898) do not require FFL's, as the BATF catagorizes antiques as NON-guns.

The rifle was supposed to arrive in Fairbanks within four day. It took 6 WEEKS before it finally arrived.

The US Post Office and UPS do not have the same BS policy that Fed-Ex does.

I had used Fed-Ex for years to ship firearms. I was never told by the local Fed-Ex shipper about their firearms policy, and they KNEW firearms were in the packages from the get-go.

imfox 12-14-2008 07:13 PM

Wow.. that sure sucks. THankfully my dad works for a moving company, so I just put it in a box, put some tape on it, put my name on it, and it goes wherever I need it to ^__^ Well... for the most part, anyway :p

Skip1970 12-15-2008 02:22 AM

ii just mailed off a ar15 to my dad in minnesota.. i always use usps and never had a problem.. did have a trigger guard get broke on a .22 one time.