Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Mexico Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum208/)
-   -   June Catch all thread, Part 2 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/752608-june-catch-all-thread-part-2-a.html)

sealboy84 06-26-2008 10:48 AM

Yeah I saw it on the news this morning. Looks really intense. When did you get home?

RDJ184 06-26-2008 11:00 AM

about 4.......

sealboy84 06-26-2008 11:06 AM

Jeesh, You gotta go back later?

RDJ184 06-26-2008 11:23 AM

I am waiting to see right now dist 3 is the only dist protecting the rest of the county all other dist have equip on the fire so as of now I am in charge of protecting the whole co. we are on stand by for the fire and what ever else might happen.. dist 3 chief is also the emergency mngr ...so that leaves me:-banghead

BIGKEN 06-27-2008 08:03 AM

Morning New Mexico!!!

KRDiesel 06-27-2008 09:06 AM

KOB.com
Posted at: 06/24/2008 04:31:03 PM

Updated at: 06/27/2008 08:01:17 AM

By: Eyewitness News 4

Big Spring Fire claims structures

Smoke from the Big Spring Fire saturates the sky Thursday.

A law officer mans a midday roadblock as more evcautions take place

A line of flames progresses through the Manzano Mountains

A law enforcement officer beneath smoke rising from the Big Spring Fire
Firefighters battling the Big Spring Fire on the eastern slope of the Manzano Mountains have managed to get 10 percent containment but not before at least two structures were consumed and 400 people evacuated.

Officials this morning are focusing their efforts on repelling the fire from advancing on the Sherwood Forest subdivision, which was evacuated earlier this week.

Officials Thursday called for the evacuation of roughly 50 more homes as the Big Spring Fire continues to burn the east slope of the Manzano Mountains.

The latest evacuations affected homes along Highway 337 -- formerly South 14 -- south to Highway 55 and along 55 to Tajique. The Mountainair ranger District says the forest is being evacuated.

Evacuees were being asked Thursday to check in at the Estancia Community Center.

Meanwhile, fire officials are warning people in the community of Estancia with breathing problems to remain inside because of smoke and ash from the fire that has now mushroomed to 3,500 acres.

Residents of the town of Tajique and the subdivision of Sherwood Forest along Forest Road 55 on the eastern slope of the Manzano Mountains chased away from their homes Wednesday by the Big Spring Fire were able to take shelter, if they needed it, at the Estancia High School auxiliary gymnasium Wednesday night.

Evacuees on Wednesday evening were being encouraged to check in at the Estancia Community Center so officials can keep them informed with the latest information.

The Big Spring Fire sparked on Monday from lightning strikes. It began spreading on the eastern slope of the Manzano Mountains at about noon Tuesday, reaching an estimated 110 acres by nightfall.

On Wednesday, the fire was reported to be 300 acres, then doubled in the early afternoon to 600 acres before finally being estimated to be 3,000 acres Thursday, according to fire information officer Vicki Fox.

Fox says 200 people have evacuated from Tajique and Sherwood Forest. Another 150 campers and staff had evacuated a church camp on Tuesday.

The fire originated between the mountain communities of Tajique and Torreon – the same region where the Trigo Fire in April and May charred 21 square miles and destroyed 59 homes.

Governor Richardson has declared a disaster in Torrance County due to the fire, which makes emergency state funding available for firefighting efforts and emergency public services.

Richardson is also authorizing the New Mexico National Guard to provide additional support if needed. The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Thursday that federal funds have been authorized to cover firefighting costs.

Expo New Mexico has opened up 200 stalls for livestock affected by the fire.

Eyewitness News 4 has a crew on location gathering information. For the latest, tune into Eyewitness News 4 and log onto KOB.com.

Live View from Airport Cam

Share Your Video or Photos

KRDiesel 06-27-2008 09:07 AM

Please be carefull out there Randy, this one looks like a killer.

Do they issue you the emergency tents in case you get traped?

KRDiesel 06-27-2008 09:09 AM

Reported that they are pulling tankers off this one for a fire in texas. You will only have 2 planes and 2 choppers today.

RDJ184 06-27-2008 09:15 AM

ya we are loosing some air support.. 2 more hot shot teams are coming in this morning
yes we all have jiffy pops

KRDiesel 06-27-2008 09:22 AM

Makes me feel better that you have the tents. good that you are getting help and that FEMA is declaring it a disaster. FEMA is always a big help, just ask New Orleans!!

RDJ184 06-27-2008 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by KRDiesel (Post 6291438)
Makes me feel better that you have the tents. good that you are getting help and that FEMA is declaring it a disaster. FEMA is always a big help, just ask New Orleans!!

:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

sealboy84 06-27-2008 12:01 PM

Yeah Randy, We'll be thinking about ya. Don't do anything stupid, we need ya there for the next G2G.

KRDiesel 06-27-2008 12:55 PM

looks like the area might get rain today.

KRDiesel 06-28-2008 12:11 AM

Up to 5600 acres!!

RDJ184 06-28-2008 08:51 AM

35% contained