Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Havin Problems with Electronic Throttle Control (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/752376-havin-problems-with-electronic-throttle-control.html)

Hatfisher 06-22-2008 02:14 PM

Havin Problems with Electronic Throttle Control

I'm new to the forum. I have looked everywhere and can not find any information. I have a 2004 Ford F-150 FX4 4X4. I have 157000 Kms on it and have had problems with me Electronic throttle control kicking out after travelling over 65Kms an hr. I have recently changed the Trottle position sensor without much change. I have had no problems with it starting or anything like that. If I go over 65kms/h the Wrench light comes on and will only go out after shutting off the engine and restarting. I have had the codes read, hence why the TPS was changed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FatalErrorz 06-22-2008 02:31 PM

What code are you getting? It SOUNDS like a speed sensor issue, or maybe your PCM needs a reflash. Is your truck chipped?

Hatfisher 06-22-2008 03:10 PM

<TABLE width="90%" align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="10%">P1124</TD><TD width="90%">Throttle Position Sensor out of Self-Test Range</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I have thought about taking it in and having it reflashed. I have replaced the TPS and have had no changes. The check engine light stays on aswell. Are the TPS's Adjustable? If so how could I adjust it? And No my truck is NOT chipped.

FatalErrorz 06-22-2008 04:28 PM

Yep, sounds like your PCM isn't recognizing it as being there. No adjustment on the TPS; the PCM handles that. A reflash should take care of it for you, but it could also be the speed sensor. Do you ever get an ABS light by chance?

Hatfisher 06-22-2008 04:31 PM

Yes as a matter of fact I do. I noticed when it first started with the E.T.C that the ABS light would come on aswell

screwy 06-22-2008 05:13 PM

Get it reflashed. I remember reading a project where a guy dropped the drive train from a 5.4 150 into a 78/79 bronco. He had your same problem, turns out there was a computer problem on a small number of trucks in 04, had it reflashed and the problem cleared up.

Edit, here it is. At the very bottom he talks about it.

http://home.comcast.net/~qcrispin/br...me4/frame4.htm

FatalErrorz 06-22-2008 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hatfisher (Post 6276750)
Yes as a matter of fact I do. I noticed when it first started with the E.T.C that the ABS light would come on aswell

It's your speed sensor...It works with the ABS and will give you a light also when it fails. You may need a reflash, but I can say if you replace that sensor, your problem will go away with 99% accuracy. Your speed sensor is what keeps you from getting much over 65kph, and also gives you the ABS warning light. You might want to try and adjust it though, too... It should be on your diffential. Disconnect the harness to it, and clean the pins, and check for bare wires. Loosen the lock nut, and screw it in until it touches the ring, and back it out 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. Tighten the lock nut and see if it works. If not, ohm it out. I'm not sure what the readings should be, as I'm sitting at home instead of the shop, but a dealer can tell you. Might take you 5 minutes to replace it, and should be under $20.00 for the part. Hope it helps.

Hatfisher 06-22-2008 07:42 PM

I will give that a try. thank you very much. Been drivin me nuts for a while now, and I couldn't get any information on it from any of the shops in town including the ford dealerships.

FatalErrorz 06-23-2008 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hatfisher (Post 6277177)
I will give that a try. thank you very much. Been drivin me nuts for a while now, and I couldn't get any information on it from any of the shops in town including the ford dealerships.

Wow...Even we give out information when someone asks for it. Most of the time they've already tried different things, and bring us their vehicles in disgust though...lol

Pricewise, I'd check the sensor for wiring, and the connector status. Then I'd try to adjust it, and then I'd replace it before going to Ford for a reflash. Or, you can take it to Ford, and let them fix it.

Hatfisher 06-23-2008 09:47 AM

that is the way I will go, I would rather fix it myself then let either one of our two Dealerships touch my truck. There is more than one Ford running around that says " I loved my ford till it was serviced at ...." being either dealership here.lol. i know a few people that took their trucks in for a service and got them back and they had to fix a bunch more stuff that was wrecked at the dealership.

pohlmeyr 06-25-2008 06:20 PM

Any updates on whether your truck was fixed or not?

Hatfisher 06-25-2008 06:22 PM

Tried Adjusting it, I wasn't able to but after cleaning and reinstalling the light has gone out and I have less problems with it. It appears that the ABS Speed Sensor is the problem and will be replaced a.s.a.p.

FatalErrorz 06-25-2008 07:33 PM

Yay!! It's nice to troubleshoot something ONLINE every now and again...