Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Products (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum66/)
-   -   dump bed kits (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/750849-dump-bed-kits.html)

C350CREW 06-16-2008 07:20 AM

dump bed kits

anybody installed or know someone that has installed one of those dump bed kits for the factory beds? ive been looking but some look cheap and the others are way to expensive. what kind of kit, how easy to install, how well does it work??

ReAX 06-16-2008 03:28 PM

I've looked into it, but never did one.

The bed needs to be braced with it's own frame, most likely the kit will lift the bed up some since you will have some heavy tubing and bumpers separating the bed from the frame. Then you have the expensive parts, the cylinder should be pretty big and powered by a high pressure pump. The pump is probably the price difference, and depending if you have to have braided SS lines the kit should cost a pretty penny.

brownfoot 06-16-2008 05:46 PM

Pierce kit is reasonable (less than $1000) and easy to install, one day or less
has a 12v pump tank assembly
the bed still is in the original location, sitting on the frame, just follow their instructions
pics in my gallery on '76 highboy

megawatt00 06-16-2008 07:29 PM

I had a 98 F250 that I put one on. I got it from Northern Tool. Not a bad setup. The bed sat at it's normal height.

C350CREW 06-17-2008 02:19 PM

did either of you guys have to mod the bed or add extra support? how much will they dump? are you happy with the brand you have?

Jonas1022 10-02-2008 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by brownfoot (Post 6259880)
Pierce kit is reasonable (less than $1000) and easy to install, one day or less
has a 12v pump tank assembly
the bed still is in the original location, sitting on the frame, just follow their instructions
pics in my gallery on '76 highboy

I think this is the kit my brother had installed on his 79 Lariat F-150. It appears to be an old style Chevy starter motor for the pump, and some angle iron was supplied to reinforce the bed. Works fine, lasts a long time...!:)

tmbrhg 10-10-2008 07:10 PM

I bought a venco kit came with everything including switch. its a 6000 lb capacity and is well built last year it was 1850 shipped to my door

1979 Ford 10-13-2008 11:38 PM

I think I would look at a dump insert. It would be more sturdy than any twisting of a standard pickup box. The only downside is they are plenty spendy at close to $3,000 when I last priced one.

Jonas1022 10-14-2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 1979 Ford (Post 6646418)
I think I would look at a dump insert. It would be more sturdy than any twisting of a standard pickup box. The only downside is they are plenty spendy at close to $3,000 when I last priced one.

On the surface it's a good idea. But the reality is you need a plenty heavy truck chassis to carry the wieght of the bed and the payload. The dump feature reinforces the factory bed, so no twisting of any significance occurs. Of course anyone that isn't thinking about what they are doing can twist any of them. My brothers truck has had the dump feature since the truck was new in 79. By using it with caution, the truck chassis can handle it well, and the bed is larger than what it can carry wieght wise. If your not thinking though, I imagine it could be overloaded quicker than you would imagine.:eek: Insert boxes are heavy and they are in the way always. So, go for the factory bed dump kit.:)

tmbrhg 10-14-2008 10:56 AM

a local landscaper has the dump insert. he does not like it because it will only dump about 2000 pounds. ok for bark but anything heavy and it wont lift it.

1979 Ford 10-14-2008 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by tmbrhg (Post 6647314)
a local landscaper has the dump insert. he does not like it because it will only dump about 2000 pounds. ok for bark but anything heavy and it wont lift it.

That is exactly it. I think at a minimum I would be using a host on nothing smaller than a 1 ton. But in my case it would hauling landscape materials.

brownfoot 10-15-2008 05:23 AM

I have had no trouble with mine
In think the hoist is plenty strong, but the bed needs some help to stiffen
did dump 2500 lbs. of rock, but loaded nearer the back of the bed
I agree, you can put more in the bed than the truck should haul, just keep the weight in spec and you will be ok