Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Florida a hotbed for grease theft (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/748634-florida-a-hotbed-for-grease-theft.html)

greystroke 06-07-2008 02:22 PM

Florida a hotbed for grease theft

I have been reading everything trying to decide what system to install and how to put together a filtering system to polish the oil.

Then this morning this article come out in the St Pete times concerning a war going on in Florida over liquid gold.

Slick Florida thieves haul off grease - St. Petersburg Times

Sure is discouraging for a newby trying to put my first WVO system together.

If I do will I be able to get grease????

Two collectors, Griffin and Universal Grease, are really going at it.

I am afraid if these big guys get going they will lock in the supply and not let the little guys in.

Comments please.

Gun-Driver 06-07-2008 09:14 PM

Happened to me!!!
I stopped at my friends restaurant to check my barrels and have a sandwich and a beer. The drums where full almost to the rim. I told him I would be back in the morning to pump them out.
Arrived there early the next day, set up my pump and barrels that I pump into, went over opened the lids and found nothing!!! 110 gallons gone, they pumped them dry!! I was pi$$ed to say the least.

Rushmore X 06-07-2008 09:39 PM

We are thinking about dropping off our own barrels and putting lockable lids on them to prevent this kind of thing. they are available from b100 supply and other places.

TXHillCountry 06-07-2008 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger (Post 6235728)
We are thinking about dropping off our own barrels and putting lockable lids on them to prevent this kind of thing. they are available from b100 supply and other places.

I looked at those lockable lids from B100 and Utah BioDiesel, but man.... nearly $180 a lid !!!:eek:

Any other lockable lids, or other ideas for securing the oil?

TX

greystroke 06-08-2008 08:18 AM

Florida guy

I would never steal anything from anybody but what are the laws.

If you see an unmarked drum and you have permission from the restaurant, can this be thievery????

If I see a marked drum do I have the right to ask the manager if I can pick up some oil before it gets into the drum.

I can see this is going to generate a whole new group of lawyers.

I still want to get into this but it looks like I am going to have to secure my sources before making an investment in my truck.

I think I will call Universal and Griffin to see if they would sell me the oil before they put it in the Bio system.

I don't think that putting a lock on the drum will help. You will simply lose the barrel.

While I was mowing my yard and broad daylight two containers of gas inside of my garage disappeared while I was mowing the back.

This stuff is really gold.

Gun-Driver 06-08-2008 10:09 AM

I put locks on my drums after they got pillaged. The problem is trying to get the kitchen help to lock them back up, to say the least the locks didn't last long.

TXHillCountry 06-08-2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gun-Driver (Post 6236667)
I put locks on my drums after they got pillaged. The problem is trying to get the kitchen help to lock them back up, to say the least the locks didn't last long.

Yeah, therein lies the catch. You want to lock them up from grease thieves, but not make it difficult for the restaurant to dump the grease. I like that $180 unit. I might break out the welder and make my own.

TX

Rushmore X 06-08-2008 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by TXHillCountry (Post 6237584)
I might break out the welder and make my own.

TX

exactly what we were thinking

fabmandelux 06-08-2008 06:29 PM

This is exactly why I have my restaurants put it in the cubies it comes in. A little more hassle for me, but I don't have a problem with theft...................

greystroke 06-08-2008 08:14 PM

Drums

Where do I go to get some storage drums if I can find sources?

Can I get them at local industrial supply or is there a better way to go.

Gun-Driver 06-10-2008 01:58 PM

I used the plastic 55 gallon drums my buddy gives from his car wash. Try one of those spray-n-wash places.

TXHillCountry 06-10-2008 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux (Post 6237743)
This is exactly why I have my restaurants put it in the cubies it comes in. A little more hassle for me, but I don't have a problem with theft...................

Hey fab, so are you saying you just have them put the used oil back in the cubies and then what? They leave the cubies where? Inside and you have to go in and pick it up?

Thanks!

TX

fabmandelux 06-10-2008 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by TXHillCountry (Post 6242839)
Hey fab, so are you saying you just have them put the used oil back in the cubies and then what? They leave the cubies where? Inside and you have to go in and pick it up?

Thanks!

TX

They leave it inside for me. I haul from 28 resturants and they all love it this way. Less paper and plastic trash for them to deal with, and no mess "out back".

I like it also. It gives me a chance to interact with the cooks, and almost all have been filtering the oil before they put it back in the cubies. I have no need for drums, or pumps etc...........

Interacting with your suppliers will help secure your oil. I've had other "biodieselers" try and pay my resturants for their oil, but I've not lost one in over 4 years. Some of the resturants will invite me in for a free meal once in a while.