Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Best Tuner,Chip,Programmer for 2002 7.3 Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/741104-best-tuner-chip-programmer-for-2002-7-3-diesel.html)

weekendwarriorfsw32 05-14-2008 12:29 AM

Dp tuner all the way!!

miller_feed 05-14-2008 08:38 AM

I have the DP-TUNER also. Had a tuner before this and can't even compare the two. DP-TUNER all the way.

miller_feed 05-14-2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Medic 66 (Post 6151402)
Is one able to add a tuner/programmer for the truck WITHOUT changing the exhaust?
I am mainly looking for one with economy tune and otherwise run as stock. Could I do this?

When I pull, I would like to pull in "stock" and not have to change out the exhause as I am limited in $$$.

The only problem with this is, if you are close to most people on here, you will want more as you start the mods. PMS is something you can't control. Thats why we have a club called PAA. Keep a person from doing the mods twice by doing it right the first time.

But untill you get to this point, you can do a simple muffler delete and 6637. These are low cost mods to get you started.

Kris has you set for a tuner.

Good luck.

HKusp 05-14-2008 10:35 AM

I ran mine with stock exhaust 60T, 80E, 120R, and 140 Aggressive for over 6 months. It was fine. Make sure you get gauges and an intake.

HKusp 05-14-2008 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Soaggydogg (Post 6148449)
Have you tried another custom tuner other than DP?

I would not waste my money on a DP tuner chip because I had one! I prefer Total Diesel Performance

You know what they say about opinions....:rolleyes:
I especially like when an opinion is given from someone who has no financial stake in it.:-blah

miller_feed 05-14-2008 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by HKusp (Post 6153189)
You know what they say about opinions....:rolleyes:
I especially like when an opinion is given from someone who has no financial stake in it.:-blah

My thinking also Jason. I think someone that knows that so many people run DP-TUNER and love it on here would word that phrase a little different. People make decisions on where to buy a product by how the company reacts to this type of information. I know I never heard Diane talk about another tuner in this fashion.

suzuki_vinson 05-14-2008 11:01 AM

Well im ordering my DP next week i dont care what anyone thinks. lol pretty excited about it.

Markadeck 05-14-2008 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by suzuki_vinson (Post 6153238)
Well im ordering my DP next week i dont care what anyone thinks. lol pretty excited about it.

And you have every right to be, it's a blast. I'm fortunate enough to live within a few hours of driving to DP and was lucky enough to have mine installed by Jody himself. The difference is so incredible I really do not know how any of these other tuner or chip companies can even stay in business. Wildman's may be just as good but have had no experience with one or know anyone that has one.

miller_feed 05-14-2008 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Markadeck (Post 6153351)
And you have every right to be, it's a blast. I'm fortunate enough to live within a few hours of driving to DP and was lucky enough to have mine installed by Jody himself. The difference is so incredible I really do not know how any of these other tuner or chip companies can even stay in business. Wildman's may be just as good but have had no experience with one or know anyone that has one.

Rich, (white bufflalo) has one and he really likes it. I just happen to like the DP-TUNER so I bought it. I would have no problem with a TW chip, I don't know anything about it.

white Buffalo 05-14-2008 12:58 PM

I think there is a missunderstanding starting here and Tuner wars tend to start easily on threads like this.

Even though Ben has Total Diesel Performance in his avatar - he's not on the payroll. Just abrassive in his posts. And I never seen nor heard of TDP or DP flame each other on any site or event I have been to.

FTE has such a huge DP Tuner following I definitely feel in the minority on this site, but each diesel site is different and has there loyalties.

I've been very happy and impressed with Tony's Chip, just like those that are happy with DP's. They both beat the pants off any "of the shelf" programmer that's for sure. Custom tuning can not be beat.

Edit: There are some other tuners out there like, BTS, DI, etc.... Plenty of folks running there chips as daily drivers, racing, sled pullers, etc. Just don't see them on FTE that often.

Pick your Pony & Ride it. 8D

Medic 66 05-14-2008 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3 (Post 6147435)
Take it from me, i've had alot of the tunes, and here's what i ended up with after a few years:

stock, hi idle, 60tow, 80 economy, and 140 agressive. Theres no difference between 120 and 80 for me, 80's a little stronger if anything. THe only reason you get 140 is not for all out performance, it's for the smoke factor. You CANT own a diesel and not enjoy rolling out some nice black coal every now and then.

i am very curious how 80 is economy and 60 is more power for towing...can someone help me understand that? I think that the numbers are HORSE POWER but don't know much else.
THANKS
RC

HKusp 05-14-2008 08:36 PM

60T is Better for towing, not more power. It has smoother throttle response, different shift points, and will keep EGT's lower than if you tow a comparable load in the 80 "e".

PowerstrokeJunkie 05-14-2008 08:48 PM

I personally like the transmission shifting better in the 60tow, than how it acts on the 80E. I sent my chip back with a specific list, stating i wanted my higher tunes to shift just like 60t, but it's the same as before, i guess it can't be done.

white Buffalo 05-14-2008 08:48 PM

I ussually tow in the 80+ setting on the flats and use the tow program when I hit the hills to keep the EGT's down and help to slow her down on the downward slopes. You'll see the difference with the two on the EGT gauge when you start testing the different settings on a road trip.

I had the shift points on all my tunes changed to be the same as the tow tune, I especially like the OD shift at 50 mph instead of 45 to keep the lugging down.

solareclpse2000 05-14-2008 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by powerstroke1869 (Post 6147328)
man this topic has to come up bout 3 times a week... but as everyone else said DP TUNER is the way to go for sure!!!

u know this topic does come up alot.i have even asked.but i would have to say i never get tired of reading them cuz every time it reminds me y im goin to get a DP tuner.lol