Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Koh (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/741025-koh.html)

Rushmore X 05-12-2008 05:29 PM

Koh

did a search on this site for KOH, came up empty. where is the cheapest place to get it? AAA chemical has 2 pounds for $11.99, how much methoxide would 2 pounds make? thanks

Finally found someone who is wanting to get into this as much as me, so am getting things together, hopefully build a small 5 gallon processor this weekend.:)

blkbeast 05-14-2008 12:19 AM

I am still in the process of making my first 25 gal batch, but everything i've read leads me to believe that depending on what your wvo titrates at 2lbs of KOH should be close to making 5gals of methoxide which should make 25gals of BD. The base number for KOH is 7grams per liter of oil, then you add to that whatever your oil titrates at to find out how much KOH to add. My oil titrated at 2ml. So I took the base of 7grams per liter added my 2 to make 9grams per liter. Then after looking at conversion charts I found online I found that for a 25gal batch I needed 1.9xxx pounds of KOH so I just used 2lbs since I got my KOH in 2lb containers.
I got my KOH online from Camden Grey and paid around $4.60 a pound including shipping. I've since seen it on Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Homebrewing Supplies, Equipment, Processors and Information for about half that if you buy 55lbs. But like I said I'm just beginning to make my own BD so don't take my advice as gospel because I could be wrong and if I am I'm sure one of the seasoned brewers here will pipe in and say so, which in turn will teach me something too.

fabmandelux 05-14-2008 12:26 AM

Wow! 4-5 dollars per pound!!!!!!!!!!!

I buy mine from a local chemical supplier for $61 for a 50lb bag.............

Gun-Driver 05-14-2008 01:45 PM

I'm with Fabman on this one, way to much. I was paying $50.00 for a fifty lb. bag, Iwas just told that the price is going up to $75.00 per 50lbs., but thats still only $1.50 a pound.
I would call around to some of the chemical distributors in your area.

blkbeast 05-14-2008 01:57 PM

I've called every chemical supplier within 50 miles and nobody carries it or showed any interest in getting it. Half the places I talked to didn't even know what it was. I called a plant that makes soap and they don't sell raw ingredients and didn't know where they got their ingredients from. I need to call them back and dig a little deeper into where they get their supplies. Looks like some of us have no choice but to either drive a couple hours to get it, or pay the extra and order it online.

Rushmore X 05-14-2008 02:33 PM

Sounds like the price that I got from the local chemical company yesterday of $68 for 50 lbs isn't too bad. I had hopes of getting smaller ammounts such as 2 lbs for the 1st couple batches though. might just have to get those online. thanks guys.

Wieckster 05-16-2008 06:08 PM

I pay 75.00 for a 50 # bag

tr0y 05-16-2008 10:32 PM

Hey Fabman,

Would you share your suppliers names as you seem to have the best deals

Thanks

Troy

fabmandelux 05-16-2008 10:40 PM

Sure.............But you're not gonna like it :)

I buy my supplies from Cascade Columbia Distribution in Portland Or.

I buy my Methanol in 300 gallon totes, and my KOH by the pallet. I have a wholesale account and buy in bulk. I also drive there and pick it up (137 miles away)

In order to transport it I have to have a CDL, with Hazmat endorsement.

TxFordGuy 05-21-2008 07:46 PM

What are the differences in using KOH and NOH? Any benifits from using one over the other?

fabmandelux 05-21-2008 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TxFordGuy (Post 6179875)
What are the differences in using KOH and NOH? Any benifits from using one over the other?

NaOH is more difficult to dissolve in Methanol, forms a very solid Glycerol, and will kill any green living thing it touches. KOH is easier to dissolve, forms a liquid glycerol, and works as a fertilizer, and can be fed to livestock.

Wookie35 05-22-2008 09:13 PM

Fab, so what you are saying is depending on your intentions for your glycerol they both have potential benefits!

fabmandelux 05-22-2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wookie35 (Post 6184091)
Fab, so what you are saying is depending on your intentions for your glycerol they both have potential benefits!

Yes, exactly! NaOH is a great natural weed killer, but KOH is a great fertilizer.
NaOh will make a great "hard" soap, but KOH makes a great liquid soap. Both can be successfully burned to provide heat for the process, OR the shop. Both can be mixed with water and used as a dust suppressant for gravel roads, and Koh based glycerol can be pelleted and mixed with livestock feed!

I don't have a "waste-stream" Everything is reused.....................

Wookie35 05-23-2008 09:18 AM

That is my plan for my glycerol as well. I am using KOH, and the wife was very excited to hear about its use for fertilizer and composting. I may run a batch or two with NaOH just to get some "free" weed killer. :D

Say Fab, how about hooking me up with those methanol recovery plans? Pretty please!

Phydeaux88 05-27-2008 11:23 AM

Fab did you ever get the wood pellet idea off the ground?