Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   windshield dimensions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/739385-windshield-dimensions.html)

kjett 05-07-2008 11:42 AM

windshield dimensions

Anyone know the dimensions of a 1989 ranger windshiled? I need to order some lexan to make my windshiled, and I'm nowhere near the truck to get the dimensions. I need the width at the bottom/widest part and the height.

Thanks!

corniceman 05-07-2008 02:12 PM

on my 94 measuring strait across at the bottom is 57-1/4" I cant masher with the curve by my self very good but looks to be about 58-3/4" to 59"-ish
Top to bottom is 26" I hope this will help

Pablo-UA 05-07-2008 02:19 PM

I do not understand why do you want it to made? how many $$$ do you want to spend?

kjett 05-07-2008 09:29 PM

Corniceman,

Thanks! Thats exactly what I needed.

Pablo,

This is for my purpose built mud racer. It is less expensive to buy a flat sheet of marguard lexan than it is to buy a pre-cut piece. Yes, I will need to cut it to shape from the rectangle, but most pre-cut pieces also need to be trimmed to fit, so why not save a few dollers and cut it myself. Plus if the sheet is large enough, I might be able to squeeze out a rear window as well.

Pablo-UA 05-08-2008 12:55 AM

I saw special film in shops to enforce stock windshield. Less risk to get broken with rocks glass.

kjett 05-08-2008 07:39 AM

The thing about lexan is it is half the weight of glass. And since this truck is going to strictly be an offroad mud racer, it will never see the street or require the DOT safety glass.

Pablo-UA 05-08-2008 09:09 AM

may be there is a reason to use aircraft windshield. try to look for on local air bases. they usually change them ruther frequantly becouse safety issues.

kjett 05-08-2008 10:41 AM

I already have the lexan supplier. It is actually called Percy's Speedglass. They do make a pre-formed piece, but my local distributor said that they have had alot of problems with the preformed stuff, and for what I am doing with the truck it would be better to just get the flat piece and cut it to size, which is why I needed the domensions.

Rangerman Stan 05-08-2008 06:57 PM

kjett, the dimensions taken from my 90 Ranger supercab should be the same for the standard cab. Vertical distance from top to bottom at the left or right post is 24.25". Vertical distance top to bottom at center of windshield where inside rearview mirror attaches is 26". Horizontal distance at the top of the windshield from left to right post is 46". Horizontal distance at the bottom of windshield from left to right post is 56". These dimensions follow the curve from left to right.

kjett 05-08-2008 09:15 PM

That's perfect! I just ordered a sheet that is large enough that I can cut it and make a front windshield and also a rear window! Thanks for the help!!

touchngo 05-20-2008 11:56 PM

I don't have the #'s but I just got a 4x 8 sheet of Makrolon and we cut the windshied both side windows and the 2 small windows for an xtend acab for my ranger and both side windows for the wifes bronco, all out of 1 sheet hardly any waste,

kjett 05-21-2008 04:07 PM

What's Makrolon and how resistant is it to abrasion? Your truck and mine run in the same stuff, and by looking at the pic you posted in the offroad thread, it looks pretty clear to me! I've seen a lot of the regular lexan the looks like crap by the end of a season with all of the scratches in them.

havefaith20 01-31-2013 01:54 PM

Polycarbonate is Polycarbonate, so they say, but I would use the abrasion coated. It is a hard coat at .005" thick. Lexan MR10 or Tuffak AR or Makrolon AR like Makrolon Polycarbonate Sheet by K-mac Plastics

kjett 01-31-2013 06:34 PM

I'm on my second set of windshields since this thread started. Been using marguard lexan and it holds up for a couple of years but the mud takes its toll. Just for show, here's what the ranger currently looks like:

http://m209.photobucket.com/albumvie...2.jpg.html?o=4