Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum152/)
-   -   Driving to Ak in three weeks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/738510-driving-to-ak-in-three-weeks.html)

Tom92F150 05-04-2008 05:32 PM

Driving to Ak in three weeks

In three weeks, I'll be driving up from Georgia to start my new job in Eagle River June 2nd. I've been trying to get my '92 F150 ready for the trip and would like some input from those already in the territory.

Within the last year, I've installed a new fuel filter, clutch (everything but the hose from the mc to the slave), shocks, front pads and rotors, and power steering pump, so those are good to go. Last weekend, I replaced the front balljoints, packed the wheel bearing, and topped off the gear oil in the axles. Next weekend I'm going to install new radiator hoses and a new fuel pump inside a poly 33 gal Bronco tank (which will double my capacity). New tires will get mounted in the next week or so, too.

As for spare parts/tools, I usually carry an extra serpentine belt, dist. cap, rotor, and plug wires (from the last tuneup), a spare ujoint, at least a quart of every fluid on the truck, duct tape and bailing wire, several tubes of RTV gasket maker, a 5' hi-lift jack, ax, chainsaw, handsaw, couple of hammers, shovel, 40' of recovery straps, come-along, a tarp or two, a couple of wood blocks and pieces of plywood, tire plugs, a bicycle pump (I'm a mountain biker after all) and a 40lb toolbox (metric and standard sockets, pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, kitchen sink, etc.).

Additional things I think I might need either on the trip or once I get up there are a set of tire chains, engine block heater, CB radio...

Am I missing anything? :confused:

Thanks a ton,
Tom

:-drink

eatfish 05-05-2008 12:04 PM

I've done it a few times and when I make the trip, I bring a can of fix-a-flat... and leave the other stuff to get better milage.

The block heater is a good thing to have.

bearman113 05-19-2008 01:14 PM

Sorry posting late but when u can check here send me a msg and I'll give u my number in case something happens.

Bearman113

Tom92F150 05-19-2008 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by bearman113 (Post 6170580)
Sorry posting late but when u can check here send me a msg and I'll give u my number in case something happens.

Bearman113

PM sent. Thanks for the offer. I hope I'll only be calling you to have a beer once I get up there! :-drink

mlb4966 05-25-2008 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tom92F150 (Post 6116511)

As for spare parts/tools, I usually carry an extra serpentine belt, dist. cap, rotor, and plug wires (from the last tuneup), a spare ujoint, at least a quart of every fluid on the truck, duct tape and bailing wire, several tubes of RTV gasket maker, a 5' hi-lift jack, ax, chainsaw, handsaw, couple of hammers, shovel, 40' of recovery straps, come-along, a tarp or two, a couple of wood blocks and pieces of plywood, tire plugs, a bicycle pump (I'm a mountain biker after all) and a 40lb toolbox (metric and standard sockets, pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, kitchen sink, etc.).

Wow! I drove down to Omaha, CA and back up with a 27' enclosed and the only thing I had was a couple spare tires and a tool box.

The road is not as bad as it was years ago and there is actually places to get repairs done. But wow you are prepared.

Are you camping or hoteling it? If camping bring bug dope. Give it a test. Wipe some on your face and if you lips go numb then "It's the good stuff". Allow a few extra days to enjoy the sights. My last trip I left Sacramento and got into Valdez in 3 days 4 hours. Darn bonzi trip... Of course I have gotten so use to driving to Anchroage, shop then drive back the same evening.

Have a good trip.

DernMooseAk 08-16-2008 11:43 PM

Just drove up myself in July. Bring a ton of cash!! Gas was around $5 a gallon. Before the prices went way up.
I have driven the rout a few times and as said before the road is alot better then in the past. Worst part was from Kluanne lake (sp?) to Beaver creek (us border). Alot of frost heaves. Other then that there really decent roads.
Dont be in a big hurry, just enjoy the views and wild life. If the wife gets to loud just sell her to a lonely canadian on the way up for some extra gas money.
There is an excellant resturant just north of watson lake, decent price, homade food.
Good luck

Oh, might as well change the shocks, or you'll need to when you get here.

Tom92F150 08-17-2008 01:06 PM

I suppose I should've updated this thread after I actually made the trip back in May.

My buddy and I (I'm happily single, btw) ended up with about 73 hours drive time over 5 days. We left Atlanta on Saturday, May 24th, and arrived in Eagle River Thursday the 29th. We stopped in Minot, ND before crossing the border into Canada. Drove all that day and night and the next day finally stopping in Watson Lake. Drove the next day to Beaver Creek where we stayed the night, then drove the rest of the way to Eagle River. Not a peep out of the Ford the whole way. The fella at the hotel in Watson Lake warned us about the TTB being prone to breaking on the frost heaves. I suppose if you bottom out too hard, the pivot on the frame or even the arm itself can fail, but the ol' green Ford didn't even bat an eye. The leveling springs I installed a week before were worth every penny, btw.

I don't really want to add up all my fuel reciepts, but I think I ended up burning something around $1200 worth of gas on the 4300 mile trip. I also slacked off on keeping track of the mileage after the first couple of tank fulls came out to be ~13. :-X18

I have been thinking about upgrading my truck to better handle the drive up and for the driving conditions up here should I decide to make the move permanent. I have all the major components to do an SAS on the '92. I could even convert the D44 to 8lug and swap in a 10.25 rear axle. Or I could spend some time and money on my '79 Bronco which has way more interior room and already has the suspension I want. Do you guys think a Bronco on one ton axles and 6" of lift, 36" tires, 5 speed, and a 4bt cummins would make a good Alaska rig?

Skip1970 11-29-2008 03:31 PM

Glad to hear it all went well! congrats!