Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Hampshire Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum158/)
-   -   9000 gvw cant dive on parkway :( (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/736964-9000-gvw-cant-dive-on-parkway.html)

hatchet 04-29-2008 02:28 PM

9000 gvw cant dive on parkway :(

I bought a used 96 f 350 the gvw is 9000 i was told at dmv today that the max gvw to drive the parking in connecticut is 8500 ugh.now im stuck with a truck that i cant drive on the parkway so i must sell it and i didnt know that when i bought it last week and dmv told me i wont get my title in the mail for 2 weeks so now i gotta wait to sell it.This is a real bummer i like the truck but if i knew that before i bought it i would of never bought this truck...oh well guess i will sell it cheap in 2 weeks but i dont understand this law for the parkway anyway.all the new f 250 and 350 super dutys are over 9000 gvw right?so i cant buy one of those to only thing i can but is a 98 and down f 250 so i can drive on the parkway i use the parkway everday and no i can.sure wish i was told this before i bought this truck i dont know what the big deal is anyway is just a normal pickup truck.what do you guys do about this?i see pickup trucks on the parkway all the time and im sure there not all under 8500 gvw but just my luck i will get a ticket..so i guess in the week the truck goes up for sale.the truck has combination plates but they still told me i cant drive on the meritt parkway cause im over the 8500 gvw ,i thought thats what combo plates were for to pay extra so i can drive on the parkway .grrrrrim so mad ugh:-X09

donjamer 04-29-2008 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by hatchet (Post 6097790)
I bought a used 96 f 350 the gvw is 9000 i was told at dmv today that the max gvw to drive the parking in connecticut is 8500 ugh.now im stuck with a truck that i cant drive on the parkway so i must sell it and i didnt know that when i bought it last week and dmv told me i wont get my title in the mail for 2 weeks so now i gotta wait to sell it.This is a real bummer i like the truck but if i knew that before i bought it i would of never bought this truck...oh well guess i will sell it cheap in 2 weeks but i dont understand this law for the parkway anyway.all the new f 250 and 350 super dutys are over 9000 gvw right?so i cant buy one of those to only thing i can but is a 98 and down f 250 so i can drive on the parkway i use the parkway everday and no i can.sure wish i was told this before i bought this truck i dont know what the big deal is anyway is just a normal pickup truck.what do you guys do about this?i see pickup trucks on the parkway all the time and im sure there not all under 8500 gvw but just my luck i will get a ticket..so i guess in the week the truck goes up for sale.the truck has combination plates but they still told me i cant drive on the meritt parkway cause im over the 8500 gvw ,i thought thats what combo plates were for to pay extra so i can drive on the parkway .grrrrrim so mad ugh:-X09

That sounds like a stupid law if you ask me..

What is so special about the parkway?

I would ask again from someone else.. You may have just got a bonehead that is spouting garbage..

Did you tell them that is the gross weight and the truck empty is more in the neighborhood of 5K lbs.

If that doesn't work I would move so I didn't have to drive the parkway, before I sold my truck..

megawatt00 04-29-2008 04:55 PM

You can register the truck at 8500 lbs. I have a cabover that is rated for 16,000lbs. I have it registered for 14,000 I did this for insurance reasons. The only thing is that I cannot put more that 14,000lbs in it. If I do and I get caught Big Fines!!

sglaine 04-29-2008 05:25 PM

I thought that trucks were not allowed because of hight on some of them....Geeeeeeeeee More stupid rules and laws....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

BIGKEN 04-29-2008 05:59 PM

Hatchet...I think you need to be careful who you accept advice from as laws vary from state to state. I'm sure the CT DMV has the information that you are looking for on theri website. You can also probably get the correct information from the state or local police. You might also contact your insurance company/agent...they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

While we're on the subject of parkways...why is it that we drive on a parkway...yet we park on a driveway??? :confused:

barecove 04-29-2008 06:33 PM

underlined = links.........

from the new jersey turnpike authority...

REGULATIONS. RELATING TO THE. NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE. AND THE. GARDEN STATE PARKWAY

3. No vehicle, except State Police, Authority maintenance vehicle and other
Authority vehicles, with a registered gross vehicle weight above 7,000 pounds, shall be
allowed on the Parkway north of Interchange 105 and without a special permit.

(d) In addition to the State Police, toll collection employees of the Authority are
authorized to enforce the provisions of this section, and all persons shall comply with the
orders of such employees given to prevent the use of the Roadway by any of the aforesaid
prohibited vehicles.

I found this which has lists of the permanent scales and their hours of operation are included....

STATE OF NEW JERSEY
VEHICLE SIZE AND WEIGHT PLAN
FISCAL YEAR 2006

and this article was pulled from The New York Times...

October 7, 2007
<nyt_kicker>Motoring</nyt_kicker>
<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> Behind the Beauty of the Parkways Is a Maze of Rules </nyt_headline>

<nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> </nyt_byline>By MARCIA BIEDERMAN

In 2000, under pressure from automakers, the New York Motor Vehicle Department began allowing owners of pickups to choose between commercial and passenger plates for vehicles weighing less than 5,000 pounds unloaded. Pickups registered as passenger vehicles were allowed on the parkways. Drivers were free to haul begonias or boogie boards in light pickups like the Ford F-150, but only in certain configurations — a crew cab or four-wheel drive could push some light trucks over the weight limit.
So in response to that, the threshold was raised to 5,500 pounds in 2004 “since many popular pickup trucks exceed 5,000 pounds,” said Ken Brown, a department spokesman. S.U.V.’s of any weight are allowed as long as they have passenger plates and no advertising. But there is, of course, an exception. On parts of the F.D.R. Drive in Manhattan, passenger vehicles have to be less than 8,000 pounds. But don’t turn onto the Brooklyn Bridge at that weight, because it has a limit of 6,000 pounds.
Frank Castelli, general manager of Vail Buick Pontiac GMC in Bedford Hills, N.Y., said many people considered a GMC Sierra 2500 pickup with crew cab and diesel engine, at about 9,000 pounds fully loaded, a family car.
“They can seat six comfortably, and some people want them to plow their driveways,” Mr. Castelli said. But since any vehicle above the 5,500-pound limit automatically gets a commercial registration, most so-called three-quarter-ton pickups still can’t be registered as passenger vehicles in New York and cannot be driven on the parkways.
In many suburbs, pickups with passenger plates outnumber those with commercial registrations. In Westchester County, for example, 9,943 pickups had passenger registrations this year, compared with 4,212 with commercial registrations. In Nassau County, the ratio was even higher: 12,129 pickups with passenger registrations; 3,796 with commercial. Mr. Castelli said he could sell more pickups if the heavier models could go on the parkways.
In New Jersey, the Garden State Parkway has different rules depending on where you are. There are no truck restrictions south of Exit 105 because trucks need to use the parkway to service the commercial needs of the area. North of the exit, vehicles with gross vehicle weight ratings (including passengers and cargo) more than 7,000 pounds are banned. But state troopers are unlikely to ticket a family Suburban, which can weigh about 8,500 pounds fully loaded, “with soccer balls hanging in the rear,” said Capt. Kevin Burke of the New Jersey State Police.
He said officers who patrolled the area had presented to the New Jersey Turnpike Authority a list of 70 passenger vehicles that exceed the weight limit, hoping the agency would update the rules. He said most troopers applied the rules mainly to commercial vehicles.
On the Merritt, vehicles with combination plates cannot exceed 7,500 pounds, but there is no weight restriction on cars with passenger registrations, said Sgt. Frank Sawicki of the Connecticut State Police.
The Merritt threshold applies to the actual weight of the commercial vehicle, including cargo and passengers, not the manufacturer’s specs. “It does take a little experience to get a feel for what vehicles might exceed the weight requirements,” said Sergeant Sawicki, adding that the state police “occasionally” bring portable scales to the parkway, or direct vehicles with combination plates to truck scales on I-95.

I thought this was an interesting rule.......

19 :9-1.22 Filming, photographing or videotaping on Authority property
prohibited, except as authorized
(a) To insure the health, safety and welfare of motorists, the general public and the
Authority, no person shall be permitted to park, stop, stand or travel at a slow speed in
violation of N.J.S.A. 27:23-27, for the purpose of taking photographs, videos or motion
pictures (hereinafter collectively "film") on the Roadway, except as provided in (b) below
or except as otherwise authorized pursuant to (c) or (d) below.
(b) Notwithstanding (a) above, persons, with prior written permission from the Executive
Director of the Authority, shall be permitted to take film in those portions of the service
areas of the Roadway under the Authority's control which are not used for the moving,
servicing or parking of vehicles, provided the taking of such film does not interfere with
or obstruct the movement or flow of vehicles and people lawfully on the Roadway. Such
interference or obstruction includes, without limitation, the taking of such film within 100
feet of any ramp or traveled roadway portion of the Roadway. Persons wishing to take
film in those portions of the Roadway which are not under the control of the Authority,
such as the buildings in the service areas which are under lease, shall contact the
appropriate party for approval.

barecove 04-29-2008 06:37 PM

:eek: I thought you were talking NJ... didn't occur to me that you were talking Ct. :confused:

c4barnes 04-29-2008 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by hatchet (Post 6097790)

I used to go up and down the Merritt all the time and always saw light trucks and vans. I wouldn't give up just yet. Find other people with the same type of trucks and see what they do.

I did find this:
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/regulations/298.pdf

Which states:

Sec. 14-298-249. Restricted use of parkways
The following are prohibited from entry upon and use of the highway right of
way of those limited access state highways designated as parkways:
(a) commercial motor vehicles;
(b) trailers;
(c) all towed vehicles except as provided in section 14-298-240;
(d) buses;
(e) hearses when part of a procession or cortege;
(f) vehicles bearing other than passenger, camper, taxicab, vanpool, or hearse
registrations and those vehicles bearing combination registrations which have a
gross weight in excess of seventy-five hundred pounds;
(g) vehicles whose dimensions, including any load, exceed one of the following:
Length—twenty-four feet, width—

The key is "combination registrations" - what does that mean? Methinks it means tractor-trailer, and that you're ok because while you have > 7500 punds, you're not a combination.

FordPickMeUp 04-29-2008 11:33 PM

I had the same problem that you did a few years ago when i bought a used f 350 super duty.I made the gvw 8500 on the form then i have no problem if i get pulled over lucky my buddy told me before i went to dmv.my trucks real gvw is like 10500 but filled in 8500.you could always go back to dmv and tell them you wrote the wrong gvw on the form and want to change it.I dont think they would care but then again you never know.its a dumb law anyway I dont see what the big deal is i see all kinds of pickups on the parkway in Connecticut.Call the CT dmv hotline they may have better info for you.I will check with my buddy this week he's a dealer so he should know.hope it all works out for you.keep the truck for a while it may work out.

FordPickMeUp 04-29-2008 11:55 PM

i just found this i think they just passed a new law about gvw on the parkway.now nothing more then 7500 lbs gvw can be on there.yikes!!!!who are the fools that make these laws?must be some guy that drives a BMV now i can get a ticket too!LOL i dont care im still going to drive on there but they said you can apply for a permit to drive on the merrit parkway in ct....... read this....

What is allowed to travel on the Merritt Parkway?

The following are prohibited from entry upon and use of the highway right-of-way of those limited access state highways designated as parkways:

(a) commercial motor vehicles;

(b) trailers;

(c) all towed vehicles except as provided in
Section 14-298-240;

(d) buses;

(e) hearses when part of a procession or cortege;

(f) vehicles bearing other than passenger, camper, taxicab, vanpool or hearse registrations and those vehicles bearing combination registrations which have a gross weight in excess of seventy-five hundred pounds;

(g) vehicles whose dimensions, including any load, exceed one of the following:

length – twenty-four feet
width - seven feet, six inches
height – eight feet

Permits for entry upon and use of the parkways by vehicles normally excluded therefrom may be issued by the commission when, in its opinion, the interests of public necessity are served thereby. Such permits shall be in writing and shall specify the period of validity of such permit, the parkway or portion thereof and the identity of the vehicle concerned. A copy of the permit shall be carried in the vehicle. Apply for a permit

heres the link where i got it........ConnDOT: What is allowed to travel on the Merritt Parkway?

All us pickup truck drives should go protest this!

c4barnes 04-30-2008 07:08 AM

That's the same thing I posted - the question is answered for good if you can find out what a "combination registration" is. In other states, "combination" means tractor-trailer, but I don't know that here, but it could mean you're okay. Hell, right above it they're allowing "campers." What do they put "campers" on, if not pickup trucks?

FordPickMeUp 05-03-2008 09:37 PM

A combination plate doesnt mean you can drive on the parkway in ct.they give combo plates to pickups that are more then 7500 lbs.if your pickup is under 7500 lbs then you can get a plate that cars have and drive on the parkway.years ago if you had a combo plate you could drive on the parkway no matter what but it looks like that has changed very odd.But i will calll dmv on tuesday when they open to make sure no you have me wondering too.

FordPickMeUp 05-03-2008 09:39 PM

i think they mean campers that are towed by a car i see that alot on there during the summer.

FordPickMeUp 05-03-2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by sglaine (Post 6098354)
I thought that trucks were not allowed because of hight on some of them....Geeeeeeeeee More stupid rules and laws....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I AGREE WITH YOU.

FordPickMeUp 05-03-2008 10:02 PM

ok i FOUND THIS.......................Pick-up trucks, SUVs, vans, and other large non-commercial vehicles may be required to register for a combination plate, which costs more than a standard passenger plate; the fee is based on the vehicle's weight. However, some pick-up trucks can be registered with standard passenger plates, in place of the combination plate.SO YOU HAVE A COMBO PLATE CAUSE ITS A LARGE NON commercial vehicle we should all protest this dumb law dont you think.