Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Hampshire Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum158/)
-   -   Doncha love it when your day just gets better and better? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/732271-doncha-love-it-when-your-day-just-gets-better-and-better.html)

Lead Head 04-15-2008 02:45 PM

Doncha love it when your day just gets better and better?

Just to prefrace a bit, I'm in high school, and currently trying to get my dads old 1987 ranger 4x4 V6 back up and moving again. He let it sit for 4-5 years, so as yo can imagine, theres just tons of rust everywhere, but the frame seems to still be fairly intact, but there is a bit of rot on the body. So I figure I can have the truck going good by the time I get my license.

Well anyways, turned out that my neighbor has a full car lift in his garage, and we got the truck up there, and have been working on it for a few days. Originally we thought it just needed a new clutch, but today we got the tranny off, not ONLY does it need a new clutch, but the input shaft on the transmission got a bit of surface rust on it, which cause the slave cylinder to lock up, melt part of its bearing ,which is the reason why the clutch burnt out. So thats another $100 for the slave cylinder, and its gonna be a ton of work to get the old one out, bah.

sorry guys, just venting.

donjamer 04-15-2008 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Head (Post 6042908)
Just to prefrace a bit, I'm in high school, and currently trying to get my dads old 1987 ranger 4x4 V6 back up and moving again. He let it sit for 4-5 years, so as yo can imagine, theres just tons of rust everywhere, but the frame seems to still be fairly intact, but there is a bit of rot on the body. So I figure I can have the truck going good by the time I get my license.

Well anyways, turned out that my neighbor has a full car lift in his garage, and we got the truck up there, and have been working on it for a few days. Originally we thought it just needed a new clutch, but today we got the tranny off, not ONLY does it need a new clutch, but the input shaft on the transmission got a bit of surface rust on it, which cause the slave cylinder to lock up, melt part of its bearing ,which is the reason why the clutch burnt out. So thats another $100 for the slave cylinder, and its gonna be a ton of work to get the old one out, bah.

sorry guys, just venting.

Welcome to the world of automotives...

Vehicles will cost you plenty of money, so get used to it..

I don't care if it has 2 or 4 wheels even a bicycle will cost you money..

But look on the bright side your having fun and learning..

So go scrape up a few more knuckles and build up that tool box you will need it...

BIGKEN 04-15-2008 06:15 PM

Some days you're the pigeon...some days you're the statue!!! :eek:

7283-F250 04-15-2008 06:57 PM

Well. You better just keep the wallet open.
My 87 toyota. I bought for $500 (what a deal... ya right.)
Anyway. To make a story realy short. I got close to if not over(probably over) $2000 into it in like 3 years, not counting purchase price. Its finaly running good but I have to fix some kind of rust every year so it can pass inspection.

My ultimate fix for the Toyota is a 07 Ranger FX4 :-X05

But it is so much better when you finaly get it funning. Took me 6 months after I got the Toyota to finaly get it on the road and it felt real good to finaly drive it.

Lead Head 04-15-2008 08:47 PM

Yeah, I'm learning quite a bit.

My neighbor said to me when I cut my hand a sharp piece of metal, "It ain't a ford if it doesn't blood" :rolleyes: