Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

StealthWyvern 04-10-2008 08:26 PM

What have you done to your truck today?

I stole this thread idea from my mazda forum.

Today I painted 2 rims off of my truck and primed 1. I will complete the other rims on my next day off. Enjoy here is a link with before adn after pictures. Well one rim completed and what the other rims looked like beofre I painted them.

- StealthWyvern's Image Gallery=

Kista20 04-10-2008 08:51 PM

haven't done anything today to it but yesterday I replaced some instrument bulbs and then the other day I took out the polk speakers I installed after I bought the truck and replaced them with some infinity kappa ones in the doors. Also I have new wiper blades I need to put on then get it inspected in the next week or two.

brown 4x4 04-10-2008 08:51 PM

Today I just drove it. Gave the 4x4 a good test as we'd got probably 6 inches of wet snow when I drove home.

I haven't done anything to my daily driver 95 for quite awhile. It needs a major cleaning when the weather gets nicer. And there's a oil pan gasket and timing cover gaskets waiting in the garage.

Last weekend on my 97 I finally got the spare tire mounted underneath where it should be (yes it's a PITA but it's out of the way). Had the windows professionally tinted on Friday. I don't have the patience to do it myself and be happy with it. The weekend before I put new door speakers in and changed the fuel filter. The door panels had never been off and other than breaking one clip it went perfect. The plastic behind them still looks brand new. On the speakers I even took the factory connectors off the blown speakers and soldered them on the Kenwoods. Cutting any factory wire is a pet peeve of mine.

Noneshere 04-10-2008 09:18 PM

Lol.......What I've done today.....Hummm

Today.........I broke the leaf springs off the axle and ground down the rust ,painted both the springs and 3" mounting brackests.

This is a 2wd 1991 F150 super cab , I am replacing the suspension with a 1982 f-350 2wd Dually suspension.

It all started with an AOD transmission swap to a HD C6. (this went clean , with the exception of having to replace the steering column of a 4 speed selector to a column with a 3 speed selector)

In my parts hunt I found an f350 frame and suspension for free.
After doing a little mesuring and research I found Ford used the same frame from 1980 -1996. The mounting brackets were different sizes. the frames have all the holes in the same spots though. So with a 4" grinder I started cutting the rivits off and swapping the brackets. I have drilled the frame and brackets out for 1/2" bolts. The front end went in clean also. The rear is a bit of a chore .

This Axle is a Dana 70 1-ton , with a 4:10 gear set. with the addition of a posi-locking differental . The truck will be quite a tractor when finished.

It's definitely not going to be a daily driver, but when it's application is needed in life , it should be plenty.

I really want to finish it off with a set of 24.5" Bud Hub Piloted semi-truck rims all the way around. 24.5" rims with factory tires are around 41" tall. The mileage on these tires is outragiously high @ 350,000 . And the rims and tires should not be to hard to find used.

It's just like building models when I was younger , just on a much larger scale today.

Here is some photos of the process :
Flickr: Photos & Video from noneshere

donnor 04-10-2008 09:23 PM

Butchering is for meats - not truck wiring.

Originally Posted by brown 4x4 (Post 6022915)
Cutting any factory wire is a pet peeve of mine.

Dittos on that sentiment! I want to both scream and cry when I go to some salvage yards and see how some people dismantle vehicles. Ebay listing pictures too often show the same callous disregard.

dn.

86F150302 04-10-2008 09:24 PM

I put in NGK V-Power plugs

Kista20 04-10-2008 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 86F150302 (Post 6023113)
I put in NGK V-Power plugs

I put them in my 300 as well, good plug :-X22

donnor 04-10-2008 09:33 PM

Torino on steroids?

Originally Posted by Noneshere (Post 6023075)
This is a 2wd 1991 F150 super cab , I am replacing the suspension with a 1982 f-350 2wd Dually suspension.

Here is some photos of the process :
Flickr: Photos & Video from noneshere

Noneshare:

The Starsky & Hutch paint theme is a nice touch! I have not seen that before on a truck.

dn.

ArdWrknTrk 04-10-2008 09:35 PM

Today I reset my idle (new motor's starting to loosen up)
Welded up the latches on my jobbox.
And put $142 worth of regular in it.........:eek:

12secondstang 04-10-2008 09:47 PM

Yesterday, I drove my truck for the first time since mid October before winter. While out it got a good bath to get the garage dust off.

gweeds 04-10-2008 09:51 PM

Yesterday I spotted a little off road path while my girlfriend and I were driving (in separate cars) to Subway. Almost got high centered (well, I did, but I got out of it, carefully...). Would have been really embarrassing to have her pull out the f250 with her Dakota... But hey, she actually followed me down the trail, so major kudos...

Scndsin 04-10-2008 11:03 PM

I used my tailgate as a potting bench.

:confused:

cjben 04-11-2008 08:30 AM

I looked out behind the garage to make sure it was still there and make sure some punk hadn't vandalized it.

bad96 04-11-2008 09:58 AM

got the headers back on and hopefully ill have my pushrods (only thing i need)by sat. and can fire it up with the new heads

icrman 04-11-2008 10:07 AM

I did all my work from December to about 2 weeks ago. It was a slow when you got time sorta thing. I found a replacement for my 460 that was fried by the previous owner, due to a water pump failure. It was drove a long ways with no coolant. The replacement an advertized low mile unit, which it looked like it was, had a rod bearing ready to fail. So did a refresh overhaul to it. And toyed with the idea of doing the transmission since it was out. Decided not to, it works okay. Then I did the stuff listed in the signature, it took along time, to route stuff, and use flex conduit etc. I don't see how the outfits that sell those things can do the job so inexpensively. I guess they slam bam it, and cut corners.

wizzard351 04-11-2008 10:31 AM

how about a couple days ago, i blew the trans in my 92 for the 2nd time

albung 04-12-2008 02:00 AM

i did like ten burnouts to be able to turn since i blew the pitman seal

red58 04-12-2008 02:05 AM

sorted out the vibration thats been driving me nuts"finally",replaced the cab mounts and did a general look around and tidy up.

RexB 04-12-2008 08:15 AM

Replaced the carbon-core plugwires with 8mm realwire plugwires, new distributor cap, rotor. Cleaned out the bed.

Still hafta' replace the fuel filter per sked maintenance . . .

StealthWyvern 04-12-2008 06:45 PM

Parked it tell my next few days off... brake line busted on the rear axle!!!! Good thing I was a block away from my house going slow over speed bumps when the brakes went!!!!

Drew2010 04-12-2008 07:57 PM

Well i picked up about 30 sheets of 1/2 inch press board from homo depot for my dad, then picked up an 80 gallon 5hp (yes its a real 5 horse) air compressor. This was for a friend, not mine unfortunately. After that my buddy called me and I pulled my trailer over to pick his dads van. The torque converter bolts sheared and one jammed behind the flex plate. So thats "locked up for now." Pulled that to my buddies house, unloaded drove home unhooked the trailer and now im sitting here telling the story of my day. Oh and all this was done on less then 1/2 a tank. This is usually a pretty typical Saturday for me. And did i mention im 16. I think ill save the muddin till tomorrow.8D

dagray3 04-12-2008 08:22 PM

replaced the O2 sensor in the exhaust. Replaced the thermostat and thermostat gasket. Replaced upper radiator hose and bypass. Replaced all the vacuum lines going to the throttle body.

White Max 04-12-2008 08:28 PM

I bought a factory Ford brand bedliner for $15 off craigslist and installed it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20.../bedliner2.jpg

-Rod

cjben 04-12-2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Drew2010 (Post 6030675)
Well i picked up about 30 sheets of 1/2 inch press board from homo depot for my dad, then picked up an 80 gallon 5hp (yes its a real 5 horse) air compressor. This was for a friend, not mine unfortunately. After that my buddy called me and I pulled my trailer over to pick his dads van. The torque converter bolts sheared and one jammed behind the flex plate. So thats "locked up for now." Pulled that to my buddies house, unloaded drove home unhooked the trailer and now im sitting here telling the story of my day. Oh and all this was done on less then 1/2 a tank. This is usually a pretty typical Saturday for me. And did i mention im 16. I think ill save the muddin till tomorrow.8D

not to change the subject,but what brand of air compressor was it? where is fulton IL at? I am in Quincy

Drew2010 04-13-2008 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by cjben (Post 6031066)
not to change the subject,but what brand of air compressor was it? where is fulton IL at? I am in Quincy

I don't know the brand, it was an old industrial compressor. I dont remember where it came from ill have to ask. My friends dad has had it for a few years now, and their 40 gallon went to pot so now it's time for the big guns. They have to run a separate 220 line to run it, It is a 2 stage and it's heavy as heck. And Fulton is across the river from Clinton, IA and about 40 minutes north of Davenport, Moline (the quad cities.) Well 30 minutes when I drive it.

frederic 04-13-2008 10:30 AM

What did I do to my truck today... well... I spent 20 minutes mopping up milk. Went food shopping this morning and some putz cut me off forcing me to lock the brakes... one of the gallons of milk slid and nailed the bottom of the bedbox and went *SPLAT*.

Louie3 04-13-2008 10:56 AM

Filled up both tanks!!! changing the oil right now and I plan to get Emilie dirty around 2pm

12secondstang 04-14-2008 09:49 PM

Filled my '96 up this morning, cost me 90 bucks, but that should last me through May in that truck. It doesn't get driven much. Then washed her up.
Bought a filter kit and 15 quarts of Mercon V for my '95, That was 80 bucks. Then did a full filter and fluid change. Got a face full dirty ATF as the pan tipped down while I was gunning the bolt out. Found a mystery part in the tranny pan, that turned out to be a normal find for a first time pan drop. All is good now. Tranny seems better but time will tell.

Proxymatic 04-14-2008 10:31 PM

Hmmm...

Today I went through and re-gapped and put in the spark plugs that I put in yesterday, thought I was dragging a cylinder when I was driving today. Diagnosed what was causing it to start up, get up to approx. 900-1000 rpm then drop down to like 500-550 rpm and idle there, I need to take out and clean / replace the IAC. (I would hate to waste the autozone giftcards I got for my birthday on that though, hopefully cleaning will fix the problem) That sounds like a project for tomorrow.

God, it sucks / rules to be sick, it sucks because I'm miserable with a sinus infection, but rules because I'm missing school and able to work on my truck.

preppypyro 04-14-2008 11:18 PM

Today I yanked the box off of my reg cab shortbox. Thinking tomorrow I may pull the engine and tranny out. Might start taking te cab off if I find a good donor one.

summitx670 04-15-2008 12:10 AM

today i took the flareside through the river. it was six inches til it went into my window and i have a six inch lift in it. so its pretty deep. no one else would dare to cross it.....they all drive chevy or dodge and have no faith in them lol.

hapkidoman 04-16-2008 01:15 PM

I did my work two weeks ago I replaced the drivers side caliper and all break pads. I will be doing some front end work either this weekend or next.

StealthWyvern 04-24-2008 09:09 AM

I washed it a few days ago and took some pictures today! Look at my gallery!

gtinswva 04-24-2008 09:25 AM

My rig is getting two new rear tires as I type this. It's also hopefully getting a current Virginia state inspection sticker... I've got my fingers crossed that it passes.

Franken-Truck 04-24-2008 11:54 AM

Well, drove my red truck to work. . .put about 9 more miles on the rebuild, for a grand total of 49 so far 8D Everything is starting to really break in I feel, throttle response is much better, everything else is just smmmmooootttthhhhh :-jammin

Going to change the oil this weekend, tranny fluid, diff fluids, and flush some new gunk out of the radiator :-tap

quicklook2 04-24-2008 11:59 AM

i let mine save fuel by sitting in the driveway.

12secondstang 04-24-2008 12:09 PM

Purchased and installed a used Leer fiberglass cap for my 95 extended cab. I don't know why but I just like having a cap on these things. My Wife and Son(16) hate the caps on both trucks. I just don't get it. Do they look that bad? I think my white '96 looks great.
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/8...ithcap2hi7.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/649...061editjz4.jpg

preppypyro 04-24-2008 01:30 PM

Im not much of a cap on a truck kinda guy myself. You do have a couple of nice trucks though, I really like the white one!

hapkidoman 04-24-2008 02:03 PM

The white one looks is nice. Im not a cap kinda guy either.But it looks good

StealthWyvern 04-24-2008 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 12secondstang (Post 6078860)
Purchased and installed a used Leer fiberglass cap for my 95 extended cab. I don't know why but I just like having a cap on these things. My Wife and Son(16) hate the caps on both trucks. I just don't get it. Do they look that bad? I think my white '96 looks great.

I'd get the cap on teh first one painted to match the top part of the cab. It would look clean and sharp imo, not that it doesn't look sharp as it sets.

I don't like caps simply because they seam to get in the way for me.