Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   South Carolina Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum183/)
-   -   The quest for better fuel mileage has begun (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/728346-the-quest-for-better-fuel-mileage-has-begun.html)

SC_Dave 04-05-2008 09:25 AM

The quest for better fuel mileage has begun

I had the 4" exhaust installed Thursday. I installed the AIS Friday and I'll soon be getting a economy tune from Mike at 5 Star so I hope to be seeing some better MPG. I'm also trying OptiLube and I like it so far it has some of the benefits as 2 cycle as far as quiting the motor and has a slightly better HFRR rating than the 2 cycle. It's a lot less expensive to use too. We will see how this turns out.

David

PS, I'll get the 6637 back to you Mike. Thanks very much for the use.

David

5 Star Tuning 04-05-2008 07:30 PM

Hi David
Hope your staying dry this evening. LOL.... The AIS is a very good unit. Thats what I ended up installing on my previous 7.3L I liked it a lot.

talk to you soon
Mike

5 Star Tuning 04-22-2008 06:44 PM

David How go's the quest for better MPG?

SC_Dave 04-22-2008 09:33 PM

Getting better, but not where I would like to be. Next step, tuner. Got to let the wallet recover a little though. I also need to get your 6637 back to you. Again, thanks for the trial run with it.

I planned to check the MPG on a trip to Hickory this past weekend but I had to pull a trailer at the last minute so I didn't even check it.

When I checked it the tank before I was up about 1.2 MPG. So I'm headed in the right direction anyway.

David

5 Star Tuning 04-23-2008 06:59 AM

I had driven past your house last night on the way home and seen the beast in the drive way is why i was inquiring....Thanks for the feedback, no hurry on the 6637 it was collecting dust any ways. Did you ever look into a EGT gauge yet? And how do you like the exhaust?..

SC_Dave 04-23-2008 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by fordmdb (Post 6073565)
I had driven past your house last night on the way home and seen the beast in the drive way is why i was inquiring....Thanks for the feedback, no hurry on the 6637 it was collecting dust any ways. Did you ever look into a EGT gauge yet? And how do you like the exhaust?..

I have looked at some EGT gauges but no decision. Suggestions? I noticed the exhaust has a threaded port that is now plugged just down stream of the turbo. I love the exhaust, I never realized how smothered the big girl really was!

David

5 Star Tuning 04-23-2008 06:21 PM

Here is what i suggest for EGT. You want Pre-turbo for sure. I have used 2 of these gauges on 2 different 7.3L trucks.

ISSPRO Gauges at DieselManor
R3607TR-CT Pyrometer Kit*
ISSPRO R3607TR Pyrometer with 6' Hi-temp Lead Wire and R650A-HT Hi-temp (2000°F) Inconel tip adjustable length Thermocouple, Band Clamp style.
Price $143.95
This Pyrometer is recommended for Pre-turbo install.

SC_Dave 04-23-2008 06:47 PM

Excuse my ignorance here. Does the thermocouple attach via the threaded port in the exhaust pipe?

5 Star Tuning 04-23-2008 07:13 PM

No, that one ; you drill small hole on drivers side exhaust just out a few inches out of the manifold and the thermocouple is held in place with a band clamp , which is similar looking to a hose clamp..

SC_Dave 04-23-2008 07:17 PM

OK, I see. Thanks Mike.