Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Transmission Prob! P0731-P0732 PLEASE ADVISE!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/728186-transmission-prob-p0731-p0732-please-advise.html)

valenrandy 04-04-2008 07:54 PM

Transmission Prob! P0731-P0732 PLEASE ADVISE!!!

after a short 20 mile drive I got off the freeway and onto the feeder and came to a stop at a red light. When light turned green I tried to accelerate but the truck did not seem to respond much. I really had to step on it to get it to go. It suddenly surged to match the the position of the pedal. 1/2 a mile later the Check engine light came on with the words"Transmission Failiure" on the text display. I was close to the house and I made it home but now I'm at a loss. the edge gave me the codes P0731-P0732.

Can the freindly people here please explain to me what just happened?
How can this be fixed?
Is it a difficult fix or hard?
Am I looking at a very expensive fix?
should I take it to ford?

BTW it only has 42K miles on her........:-X18Terrible!

I know there are alot of factors involved but I would greatly appreciate it any help!

thankyou all!

black04lariat 04-04-2008 08:42 PM

These were the codes I could find. It doesn't have years listed and I dont know if codes are the same or different years, but I would think so. Other than that I have no idea what your problem is. Hope its nothing tooo major.

Ford OBDII Diagnostic Trouble Codes - P0700-P0799 - Transmission .: Articles

valenrandy 04-04-2008 09:53 PM

P0731 Gear I Incorrect ratio
P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect ratio

In simple terms did I lose 1st and 2nd gear? Ive searched the net for this problem with someone with an f150 but to no avail. Has this ever happened to any of yalls f150? What was your cure? Thanks!

YoGeorge 04-04-2008 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by valenrandy (Post 5996438)
P0731 Gear I Incorrect ratio
P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect ratio

In simple terms did I lose 1st and 2nd gear? Ive searched the net for this problem with someone with an f150 but to no avail. Has this ever happened to any of yalls f150? What was your cure? Thanks!

Hasn't happened to me, but it *might* be input and/or output speed sensors on the transmission which are flaky, making the trans think that 1st and 2nd gear are not working properly. So it's not necessarily a horrible problem, although it could end up being horrible....

Good luck,
George

valenrandy 04-04-2008 10:29 PM

Hopefully the problem is the lesser of the 2 you mentioned. It just pains me that I only had 42K miles on it.........

Pray for me:eek:

Twinsdad98 04-05-2008 10:14 AM

You mentioned the edge gave you these codes? What level cal on your running? Have you changed your ratios? I would think about reflashing back to the stock calibration and then reprogramming with the edge. Maybe something got scramble in the program..

valenrandy 04-05-2008 10:27 AM

I had level 2 programing. It was working just fine since I got the edge december 05?? I did take her back to stock and left her there. On that last drive I was doing 65 the whole way till the red light. Thats where it started.
I have heard of this "limp mode". Could it be that my truck is only getting 3rd and 4th to protect 1-2nd?

I'm praying its just a sensor or 2 and not anything internal.

screwy 04-05-2008 10:46 AM

Well from what I can find it’s either your shift solenoids, internal parts failure or a problem with the wiring. So I’d start by climbing under there and making sure all the connectors are tight and wiggle the wires good to see if anything changes.

valenrandy 04-05-2008 10:54 AM

Thanks, I'll head out now to check it out.

I just can't believe this has yet to happen to any f150 user on these forums (i searched). I feel like a lab rat.

thanks for your suggestions guys!

Twinsdad98 04-05-2008 04:53 PM

I hope it's something simple as well. I run level 2 as well on my 04 and no issues. Keep us posted so we'll know what to check if we run into the same issue. I'd also check your fluid level just for grins to make sure that is fine. Who knows, these new boxes can get quite finicky.. Good luck

04 FX4 Lineman 04-05-2008 05:14 PM

The first thing I would look at is the edge, I know a guy who fried his ECM with a edge of course ford would not even talk to him??

F0rdzTuff 04-05-2008 05:25 PM

Yep, the Edge likes to play with the xmsn more than anything it does.

valenrandy 04-05-2008 05:45 PM

I checked under and all cables were secured. I'm no atx mechanic but it looks nice and clean from the underside:rolleyes:

I went to ford to ask questions and for the diagnostic it wil run 179$.
I was also quoted a new/rebuilt 4R75e?? trans for 1866$ w/o labor.
The guy also guestimated about 1200 in labor...is that about right?

This is worst case senario and it comes with a 3yr/100,000mile warrenty.

While not cheap is this in the realm of reasonable? I was mostly interested in the warrenty. I want to know if this dealer is dealing or stealing:-X0A6

So much for my supercharger money:-banghead

thanks for the input!

F0rdzTuff 04-05-2008 08:05 PM

Reflash your computer: Reinstall the Edge and put it at Level I, and try it. Then, act like you are removing the Edge completely and set it back to stock...Then see what happens.

valenrandy 04-06-2008 10:17 PM

UPDATE!!!!!

Transmission tear down......:-X18

After realizing my uncle had a transmisson shop I said lets go, he said he would give me a hand.

Drove the truck to his shop 26miles away..........................:eek:

no 1st.......no 2nd........ 3rd and 4th worked fine.......oh yeah, no reverse!

My edge flashed red with the 2 codes the ecm threw but we made it just fine.

I am no atx expert but from what I could understand..........

All the forward drive clutches were in great shape?
The overdrive clutches were fine?
The planetary gears were fine?
The reverse clutches had the most wear on them by far.
The fluid did not smell burnt.
There was some residue from the clutch on the magnet.
that was deemed normal though?
All in all everything looked fine except for.............

http://www.valenrandy.earthcammobile.../392-54332.jpg

I dont know what those 3 holes are for at the end of the inside part of the transmission case/housing but it is noticable that there are some fragments missing from the sides of the holes. Tommoro the shops ford guy will have a look at everything and he will decide if that is the problem.

I don't know how that gets caused but what I was told is that I need a new case........transmission case. He said If I wanted to I could re-use everything I had and get the reverse clutches replaced and other technical things I forgot about.

So, Does anyone have or know of someone that has a 4r75e case/housing available near or close to houston for a good price asap?

thanks!